Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
dekova

Default GURPS Character Sheet and Skill Defaults

Apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place, didn't see a forum for GCS.

Using GCS, I can see that skill defaults calculate automatically and are configurable so you can replace/create defaults as appropriate. I'm trying to configure a Ritual Magic skill to default to Thaumatology at -6. It displays correctly but doesn't seem to be calculating correctly. I suspect it's user error, can someone point out where I'm going wrong?

Here's a quick screenshot

Here's the actual gcs file:

Last edited by dekova; 03-20-2020 at 09:57 AM.
dekova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Character Sheet and Skill Defaults

Is Thaumatology getting a bonus from Magery 3? Bonuses to a skill aren't supposed to transfer across to defaults, which would account for the discrepancy. You probably need to configure Magery to give a bonus to the Ritual Magic skill(s) as well.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova View Post
Apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place, didn't see a forum for GCS.

Using GCS, I can see that skill defaults calculate automatically and are configurable so you can replace/create defaults as appropriate. I'm trying to configure a Ritual Magic skill to default to Thaumatology at -6. It displays correctly but doesn't seem to be calculating correctly. I suspect it's user error, can someone point out where I'm going wrong?

Here's a quick screenshot

Here's the actual gcs file:
I got it to work for me.

One thing to consider - does the character you're checking this on have Magery? Cuz that would add to Thaumatology, but not help with the default. (Just checked the .gcs file. Looks like I'm right.)

If that is what's making it look wrong, you might have to tweak Magery to add to Ritual Magic as well.
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
dekova

Yep, you guys nailed it. The skill default is calculating exactly as it's supposed to, I just didn't account for Magery.

Thanks guys!
dekova is offline   Reply With Quote