Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #41
benz72

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Actually, that brings up an interesting point -- are there other skills that could reasonably give a default Administration roll besides Merchant?
Strategy? I can make an agrument for any reasonable implementation of strategy requiring competent administration.

Politics/Propoganda? Organization of teams for specific goals involves administration.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #42
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In my current campaign, I've allowed these uses:
I'd also allow it (and many other professional skills) to work as a complementary skill when trying to pass yourself off as such a professional.

The first thing that comes to mind is an episode of MASH in which Hawkeye spouts some military style alphabet soup to pass Radar off as a Corporal-Captain so he can drink in the officers' club.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The same thought occurred here. And I'm sure some of us are rolling at default. :)

Actually, that brings up an interesting point -- are there other skills that could reasonably give a default Administration roll besides Merchant? For example, as a reporter, I've covered governments at various levels (city, county, school board, legislature) for about 16 years. That's a lot of budgets and procedures negotiated and translated into English. But I think giving myself a point in Administration would be an overly generous assessment of my management abilities!

I see three alternatives in my own case:
1) Make me a Dabbler in Administration.
2) Set my IQ high enough for this to be covered as part of the "general knowledge" IQ default.
3) Allow a default from Professional Skill: Journalist, given the context. (Or maybe from an appropriate Current Affairs skill, instead.)
I'd guess you might have administration. Its a pretty common skill for just about every white collar job. I mean, even though some management goes to school for it, a lot of low level corporate management just comes out of the worker level. Its one of those skills, like computer operation, that is just drilled into our society. No, not everybody in you office at work has it, but it is all over the place.

Of course, there's a difference between good leadership and good management. And some of what we've been calling administration might be better called saviore-faire (office)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #44
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Of course, there's a difference between good leadership and good management. And some of what we've been calling administration might be better called saviore-faire (office)
Likely there is a default between the two for this very reason... and if there isn't there probably should be.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #45
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Many knowledge-oriented skills would benefit from a conditional default like that for Research (p. B217): "At the GM's option, when researching material connected with a 'book-learned' skill [...] you may roll against that skill at -2 instead, if that would be better [...] (but this is not a general default level)." I would say that if you're attempting to hack a bureaucracy pertinent to some field at which you're a learned professional, Administration ought to default to your professional skill at -2. For instance, I'd let a banker roll against Finance-2 for Administration to deal with a fiscal bureaucracy, or a lawyer roll against Law-2 for Administration to deal with a judicial one.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Many knowledge-oriented skills would benefit from a conditional default like that for Research (p. B217): "At the GM's option, when researching material connected with a 'book-learned' skill [...] you may roll against that skill at -2 instead, if that would be better [...] (but this is not a general default level)." I would say that if you're attempting to hack a bureaucracy pertinent to some field at which you're a learned professional, Administration ought to default to your professional skill at -2. For instance, I'd let a banker roll against Finance-2 for Administration to deal with a fiscal bureaucracy, or a lawyer roll against Law-2 for Administration to deal with a judicial one.
That makes excellent sense. Perhaps it should go into 5/e if the day comes for 5/e.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #47
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That makes excellent sense. Perhaps it should go into 5/e if the day comes for 5/e.
I should live so long :\ :)

House rules now are often the RAW of the future. Be an early adopter!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #48
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
In my upcoming fantasy campaign, when the PCs recruit sailors for their ship, I plan to offer them an Administration roll as one of the options. Of course, if they go that way, they'll get assigned a crew by the seafarers' guild, rather than getting to pick—probably meaning that I'll roll randomly on the list of possible crew and give them the first half dozen.
However such an assigned crew will have and advantage of already being a working unit.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #49
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
However such an assigned crew will have and advantage of already being a working unit.
Well, no, not entirely. The mariners' guild has maybe two hundred members. For a new ship, the crew is going to be made up of members who don't currently have a berth on an established ship and route. They are accustomed to the guild style of working together, but this particular crew may well not have worked together.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #50
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Well, no, not entirely. The mariners' guild has maybe two hundred members. For a new ship, the crew is going to be made up of members who don't currently have a berth on an established ship and route. They are accustomed to the guild style of working together, but this particular crew may well not have worked together.
True but because they all using the same style they know their duties and how they interacted with others, The Guild will also make sure sure you have all the relevant berths are filled with people that have the right skills. So the only variable you need to deal with crew wise on the shakedown crew in interpersonal compatibility.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
administration, basic, skill of the week, skills