Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Genesis

Default Create (Food)?

So, is Create (food) legal? If so, how much does it cost? If not, must I use Snatcher?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Create (Food)?

The Healing Powers on Powers.p128 include Create (Drugs), so I don't see why Food should be a problem - which would make it likely a Medium Category and therefore 20 points per level.

You could probably narrow the type of Food you can create to satisfy a Small Category, say Create (Meat) or Create (Fruit).

You'd be create simple bulk matter - so Create (Chicken) would produce an amorphous blob of chicken meat rather than a whole chicken.

Also, Created matter is unstable, and vanishes after 10 seconds unless you 'stabilize' it, which probably isn't that useful for 'Food'
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
So, is Create (food) legal? If so, how much does it cost? If not, must I use Snatcher?
Ignoring the primary question, I want to point out that Create (Food) would be an expensive way to obtain food. Consider that you have to pay 1 character point to create a substance permanently for each so many dollars of value. I don't think you want to create food that is only going to stay there while you concentrate!

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Also, Created matter is unstable, and vanishes after 10 seconds unless you 'stabilize' it, which probably isn't that useful for 'Food'
That rule is optional, if the GM doesn't think the game world's economy will be horribly disrupted, or if the PC has a Vow not to profit off their power.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
That rule is optional, if the GM doesn't think the game world's economy will be horribly disrupted, or if the PC has a Vow not to profit off their power.
Well, the power in question currently has Cosmic: nutrition is permanent, +100% - so long as the food is eaten within the window, I'll let the effects of eating stay. The PC can't get rich selling saffron, and his restaurant better not try to serve more than a table or two at a time. It's basically an expensive Doesn't Eat that he can use to help his friends too, but can't use at scale.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
SCAR

Divine Favor has the 'Feed the Masses' Learned Prayer, which is Create Food/Drink, priced at [20] Points per Level, with a few modifiers, and the Feature: Restriction against using this for convenience or personal gain replaces the need for a creation pool.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Alternatively, let the player buy independent income with the understanding this inCome is in the form of food: you can create 1000$ of chicken per month, but it has to be chicken! I find this to be the best option for budgets, both cp And monetary

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Well, the power in question currently has Cosmic: nutrition is permanent, +100% - so long as the food is eaten within the window, I'll let the effects of eating stay. The PC can't get rich selling saffron, and his restaurant better not try to serve more than a table or two at a time. It's basically an expensive Doesn't Eat that he can use to help his friends too, but can't use at scale.
Judging by the RAW around Create, he doesn't need that Cosmic. If you Create iron and then smelt it, it's still there (but any Creation Pool points used are lost). If he tries to make a living off it, charge for Independent Income, or the appropriate level of Wealth.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Judging by the RAW around Create, he doesn't need that Cosmic. If you Create iron and then smelt it, it's still there (but any Creation Pool points used are lost).
The creation pool points being lost is the important issue here. The parallel would be that you create food, and when you eat it ("smelting" it into flesh, as it were), the creation pool points are lost.

So suppose you're in a medieval campaign. You can create 10% of starting wealth, or $100, for one creation point. $100 will buy you fifty meals of travellers' rations, or perhaps loaves and fishes. If you buy it as travellers' rations, it will weigh 25 lbs. That's helpful in an emergency, but you aren't going to want to be your companions' sole source of food on an ongoing basis, not at permanently using up 1 experience point for a temporary benefit.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Genesis

That's right, Bill - I don't want to charge my player CP every time he wants to use his powers to make a meal. The context is an ability that makes symbolic food nutritious - by eating a picture of an apple you get the benefits of a snack - but it's explicitly transferable: the magic is going into the picture (which becomes nutritious) not the person.

I started by thinking about something like "Affliction (cast-iron stomach)" but that's about the person, not the symbol. Then I thought about using Snatcher with Limited... and I went back and forth on the merits of that vs. Create for a while before I figured I'd ask the community.

Tags
character points, create, creation pool, powers