Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #41
Dreadbane

Default Re: Healing College - Healing yourself penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID View Post
Some adjustments apply to healing when you have high HP: "Multiply HP healed by 2 at 20-29 HP, by 3 at 30-39 HP" etc. To keep the proportion between HP and skill level, I also adjust healing oneself penalties: “for the calculation of the penalty, divide HP lost by 2 at 20-29 HP, by 3 at 30-39 HP” etc. The dragon with 70/100 HP has a penalty of (30/10) = -3 when healing itself.
I'm thinking something about: -1 when injured until 3/4 HP, -2 until HP/2, -3 until 1/3 HP and -4 until 0 HP. And perhaps -1 for each multiple below zero. I may be mistaken, but I really don't recall GURPS applying penalties much greater than 10, and even -10 is regarded as "Impossible" ("No sane person would attempt such task", according to campaigns).

But for a normal human, with 10 HP, at 0 HP, -10 is what he gets to heal himself. For me this is clearly out of proportion. And having to rely on "heal yourself first with another method" don't correct the fact that the penalty is heavy handed at the first place. Just for comparison, a first aid with leaves and mud is at -5, and a surgery at TL 2/3 with improvised equipment is -10. Something is wrong when a healing spell, cast by a healer not injured to the point of risk of death, is in the same difficulty level that performing surgery in a campfire with a knife at the dark ages.

Last edited by Dreadbane; 09-13-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Dreadbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #42
swampthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadbane View Post
But for a normal human, with 10 HP, at 0 HP, -10 is what he gets to heal himself. For me this is clearly out of proportion.
Someone at 0 HP has arguably got bigger problems, of the lucky-to-be-conscious-for-long variety. It's not like 10 HP isn't a lot, at least at human scale.
swampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #43
Dreadbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
Someone at 0 HP has arguably got bigger problems, of the lucky-to-be-conscious-for-long variety. It's not like 10 HP isn't a lot, at least at human scale.
I just talked about 0 HP for the ordinary human with 10 in all. But increase his total HP to 11 and now he is at 1, still at -10 to cast and at no risk to collapse. The conundrum remains.
Dreadbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #44
SID

Move and attack has a penalty of -4 to skill but the adjusted skill cannot exceed 9. Healing oneself could work just the same, the trade-off looks balanced.
SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:06 AM   #45
Keampe

Personally, I'd just drop it. If the same modifier applied to all spells or to all healing spells I'd be tempted to keep it, but it doesn't. Just the one case of a wounded mage healing themselves.

Seems punitive and doesn't really add much for balance IMO.

I might - might - cap it at -4 like shock, though, if people at my table thought it a good idea. My vote, however, would be to drop this rule.

- Shane
Keampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:46 AM   #46
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
And they say GURPS is more complicated than D&D.
Do “they,” really, much, these days? Audibly?

If so, I imagine that “they” are mostly people who started out playing D&D and haven’t played many other games at all. Many people seem to define every game except their first one as “complicated”, by which they actually mean “too much work to switch to when I’ve invested so much in this one that works okay”. And of course, D&D is most people’s first game.

But those people aside, excess complexity is a charge I mostly seem to see aimed at GURPS by fans of highly focussed minimalist games. Not the F20 fanbase.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #47
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Do “they,” really, much, these days?e.
No, they don't talk about Gurps much at all. My offers to do something with Gurps get little response.

They do complain about complexity but theri answer to that seems to be either OSR games or new and "simple" games (Shadow of the Demon Lord, Symbaroum) which everyone actually seems to get bored with in about 6 sessions.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #48
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, they don't talk about Gurps much at all. My offers to do something with Gurps get little response.

They do complain about complexity but theri answer to that seems to be either OSR games or new and "simple" games (Shadow of the Demon Lord, Symbaroum) which everyone actually seems to get bored with in about 6 sessions.
A lot of those games are designed with a 6-10 session campaign arc in mind, with no support for anything longer. I assume you're supposed to go and buy another game after that (and again after that).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #49
Inky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Do “they,” really, much, these days? Audibly?
Well, nah, actually, what they (as in players of other RPGs or free-form roleplaying things) usually say when I mention it is "What's a gurps?"
I don't remember running into anyone who already knew what GURPS was recently, so I couldn't say whether the "everyone thinks GURPS is a scary advanced maths game" problem still exists or not.