Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Campaign ideas

I've been trying to think of this kind of GURPS campaign for a while. Basically, I want it to be our universe, but with something added. Like Supernatural is our universe with monsters added. Something like that. Can you guys help me? I've been racking my brain, but for the life of me, I can't think of anything.
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Engurrand

Default Re: Campaign ideas

Literally anything? Or by your examples, only things that are secret, and thus don't affect the general populace and by extension the world at large?
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
Literally anything? Or by your examples, only things that are secret, and thus don't affect the general populace and by extension the world at large?
The latter. Something that is secret and won't affect the population at large.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Purple Haze

Magic can be secret, especially if there is a mechanism like Mage: The Ascension's paradox. Psionics likewise.

Big conspiracies like the Illuminati.

Aliens a la Men in Black.

God(s). Even current main-stream Christianity states that there can be no unequivocal miracles.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Engurrand

So to be clear, you're looking for a list of campaign ideas that are essentially

Real life + N, where N is something that doesn't affect Real Life.

Um. Well common N values in campaigns and literature might be any or all of, fairies, demons (a la buffy-verse), Illuminati (or other secret societies), vampires, aliens (a la MIB), wizards (a la Harry Potter, or Dresden), immortals (the Highlander), etc...

I've been running a game for the last four years called Woken Earth, where, much like Dresden, magic exists, except it's only just now waking up in the world after a thousand year sleep. That sort of premise opens the door for nearly any supernatural element to slip into a developing gameworld.

I always thought a cool campaign idea would be Hollow Earth.

But your question is so massively open, you might need to define more parameters.
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
So to be clear, you're looking for a list of campaign ideas that are essentially

Real life + N, where N is something that doesn't affect Real Life.

Um. Well common N values in campaigns and literature might be any or all of, fairies, demons (a la buffy-verse), Illuminati (or other secret societies), vampires, aliens (a la MIB), wizards (a la Harry Potter, or Dresden), immortals (the Highlander), etc...

I've been running a game for the last four years called Woken Earth, where, much like Dresden, magic exists, except it's only just now waking up in the world after a thousand year sleep. That sort of premise opens the door for nearly any supernatural element to slip into a developing gameworld.

I always thought a cool campaign idea would be Hollow Earth.

But your question is so massively open, you might need to define more parameters.
Ok well I also want it to be unique. As in, it's either never been done before or it's ALMOST never been heard of (a.k.a. it's so rare that only a few people will ever know of it.) I also want the thing added to CREATE a secret society (like Warehouse 13, the warehouse agents.)
Old 05-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

More parameters.... questions on the parameters:

does the action need to happen on earth itself? could you be popping in and out of, say.... hell? or different planets? or faerie?

A good place to start looking is books, movies, and television shows with those premises. And that means a good percentage of them. Grim counts. Stargate Counts. You can argue Narnia counts. Good Omens counts.

Just pick a supernatural element and make it work. I've seen it done with dragons (both dragon as a title for supernatural humans and a short story where dragons really did live in modern society undetected).
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
More parameters.... questions on the parameters:

does the action need to happen on earth itself? could you be popping in and out of, say.... hell? or different planets? or faerie?

A good place to start looking is books, movies, and television shows with those premises. And that means a good percentage of them. Grim counts. Stargate Counts. You can argue Narnia counts. Good Omens counts.

Just pick a supernatural element and make it work. I've seen it done with dragons (both dragon as a title for supernatural humans and a short story where dragons really did live in modern society undetected).
The action does need to HAPPEN on Earth, but things could pop out of other places to GO to Earth. Also, I do not want to consult other medias as I want my idea to be original or as close to original as possible.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
. Also, I do not want to consult other medias as I want my idea to be original or as close to original as possible.
So you want the forum to come up with a truly original and exceptional campaign for you that is earth + (something else that doesn't effect the world at large) + (involves a secret society) + (you don't want to consult outside media)

Well, ignoring your last parameter, what I would do if I were you would be to google a word like "Prophecy" or"Conspiracy" along with a second word like "Demon", "Aliens", or the like. Hell, I just found this site which is full of great ideas for a GURPs campaign (unintentionally.) Here is an article I randomly clicked on.

http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
gruundehn

An idea I've been thinking about but never got into anything close to working order is have dragons return from hiding. In a book I have started to write and haven't worked on for a couple of years I have dragons return to Earth and settle down. Some want to be good citizens, such as the hero of my book, and some don't. In my book when dragons first returned various nations tried to kill them which might make a good campaign idea. As the hero dragon in my book says, "Just because we are big and we fly doesn't make us B-52's." The idea being that dragons are shapeshifters and have been secretly returning and keeping up with society for centuries and so know a lot about our society be we know nothing about them. These dragons would have to be much more powerful than the template in GURPS, they'd probably be closer to 1,000 points, considerably less if magic does not work. If your players are expecting a standard GURPS dragon from Basic or Fantasy they will get a rude shock. If you want, you can even later bring back Elves etc. But start with dragons: Some want to be good citizens and some want to rule an area and enslave every one.

Tags
campaign ideas