Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
macphersonrants

Default Asian Mystical Organizations

I'd like to include a few Asian magical organizations in my 4e GURPS Voodoo conversion. I kind of assume that such groups might be linked to the Triads or Yakuza or would emerge out of Taoism, Shinto, or mystical Buddhism.

Does anyone have any suggestions about working up Asian groups for a modern day secret magic game? Are there any games set in the 20th or 21st century that deal with this sort of thing from an Asian perspective? Unfortunately, Cabal and Voodoo are pretty silent on Asia.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Asian Mystical Organizations

I don't know about any games, but you might enjoy looking up some information on Shintou or perhaps some Taoist stuff. I could easily imagine secret Japanese Shintou cults working powerful spirit magic or Taoist cults redirecting the flow of qi through the lands.

[EDIT]
Perhaps the Clan of the Midnight Sun, among whose secret members include several prominant Nanjing investors, is having a series of hotels built near the Yellow River in order to redirect a prominant dragon line so it will merge with other lines in time for an important ritual casting in three years.

Meanwhile, the Yamaguchi Clan has nearly doubled the number of shimenawa in Izu and is dedicating a beautiful new shrine to the kami of the peninsula in order to gain their assistance in casting ill fortune on the Midnight Sun's construction projects, since the new dragon lines will almost certainly cause an increase in earthquake activity in Honshuu.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 03-16-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
macphersonrants

I just recalled running across Tibetan sorcery in a few pulpish novels. You might have spirit conjuring and you certainly get the ability to create Tualpa (independent thought forms- work like spirits), which I seem to recall getting a GURPS treatment somewhere.

Katherine Kurtz used Tibetan sorcerers as villains in Dagger Magic. Tibetan demons turn up in in Child and Preston's The Wheel of Darkness.

I seem to remember Eric Lustabader doing something with Japanese mystics, but I don't recall the basis.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
SonofJohn

Dint real life triads start as ocult secret societys not much unlike western freemansons?
SonofJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
aesir23

The Righteous and Harmonious Fist. 'Nuff said.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
macphersonrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofJohn View Post
Dint real life triads start as ocult secret societys not much unlike western freemansons?
That's absolutely right. What I'm looking for is some info on a particular triad (real or fictional) known for their occult prowess.

Tags
asia, cabal, secret magic, voodoo