Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Strange campaign themes

Bollypunk - combine the Bollywood themes from traditional Indian literature, mixture of romance, comedy and drama and above all the music/dance numbers with the hardboiled cyberpunk ethos of William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Works best with players who actually can sing, but that's not an absolute condition.
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Bollypunk - combine the Bollywood themes from traditional Indian literature, mixture of romance, comedy and drama and above all the music/dance numbers with the hardboiled cyberpunk ethos of William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Works best with players who actually can sing, but that's not an absolute condition.
Sounds like an updated version of Streets of Fire.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Sounds like an updated version of Streets of Fire.

Bill Stoddard
Set in Calcutta.
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Set in Calcutta.
I'd go to see it!

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Bollypunk - combine the Bollywood themes from traditional Indian literature, mixture of romance, comedy and drama and above all the music/dance numbers with the hardboiled cyberpunk ethos of William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Works best with players who actually can sing, but that's not an absolute condition.
Can't they just lip sync? I'd have imagine dancing is more important.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Can't they just lip sync? I'd have imagine dancing is more important.
Depends if you're doing live action or tabletop. Tabletop is closer to radio drama or voice acting.

Back when I ran my campaign based on Atlas Shrugged, I told the players they'd get an extra eep if they made a long philosophical speech in character. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Depends if you're doing live action or tabletop. Tabletop is closer to radio drama or voice acting.

Back when I ran my campaign based on Atlas Shrugged, I told the players they'd get an extra eep if they made a long philosophical speech in character. . . .
Oh God! My players hardly needed encouragement. They used to pick philosophical fights with NPCs to work out who the bad guys were.
__________________

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Bat Wars - Your ears can deceive you. Don't trust them.
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Oh God! My players hardly needed encouragement. They used to pick philosophical fights with NPCs to work out who the bad guys were.
Most of my players don't seem given to dialectic. Or at least not to roleplaying it.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
William
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Re: Strange campaign themes

Weird War Dungeon Fantasy

The Nazis' latest energy-weapon experiment has opened a rip in space that meshed with the summoning performed by the Cultists of the Void. Your dungeon-diving team, armored up, magicked out and armed to the teeth, and faced with skull-wearing baddies who panic and attempt to shoot them, must now fight their way out of Hidden Laboratory 12 at Castle Sturm, along with dozens of malnourished and tortured test subjects.

There is a roar of battle from miles away, so clearly your summoners have enemies nearby. Can you make it there and claim sanctuary? And was that a Cultist of the Void you saw groggily getting interrogated in the other room on your way out?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campaign ideas, weirdness

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.