Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-21-2024, 11:55 PM   #1
SRoach

Default Ritual magic. Path of Technological, Technological College! Missing

I was playing around.
If you add any Ritual variants of a Technological College spell, such as "Alter Nanovirus (Ritual). Tech/H", it will ask for the appropriate prerequisite, then it will inform you that it can't find it, and you'll have to add it yourself.

Since I don't yet know how to build my own skills, even to copy, then edit a parallel skill, I'm passing the buck. This, and one other thing.
SRoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:30 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Ritual magic. Path of Technological, Technological College! Missing

What data files are you loading? What book does Alter Nanovirus come from? What are the "needs" of the Alter Nanovirus spell? What prerequisite are you trying for?
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:04 AM   #3
SRoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
What data files are you loading? What book does Alter Nanovirus come from? What are the "needs" of the Alter Nanovirus spell? What prerequisite are you trying for?
It was in Biotechnology. Its three offered prerequisites are Magic! (I didn't try this one, but I know it exists), "Path of Technological" (sic), and "Technological College!". I tried the latter, before realizing it was a wildcard skill, and verified the third one didn't exist, either, by searching on "Path of".

As to what files...bear in mind this is from memory, as I don't have the computer I installed the program on in front of me.
Basic Set: Characters/Campaigns
Magic
Powers
Low Tech
High Tech
Ultra-tech
Biotechnology
Fantasy
Banestorm
Infinite Worlds
Transhuman Space
Spaceships

Space

I may have included Supers and Martial Arts.

Edit. I did. This list was mostly accurate. Just no Transhuman Space, Spaceships, or Campaigns.

Last edited by SRoach; 04-22-2024 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #4
Stormcrow

TLDR: Load the "GURPS Magic 4e - Ritual Magic.gdf" file.

I always like to warn against not using only the data files you actually, definitely need. Sometimes data files will contradict each other and cause problems, and the more files you put together, the more likely problems are to occur. When I load that particular list of book files, I get a warning that some are incompatible.

Anyway, I've loaded all those files, then I tried adding Alter Nanovirus (Ritual). As you say, it asks you for a prerequisite. If I choose Magic!, the Magic! skill gets added. If I add Path of Technological or Technological College! skills, the log says it can't find those skills (i.e., they aren't in the loaded book files). So I can confirm the problem you're seeing. This even happens if you only load the Basic Set and GURPS Biotech.

So I'm looking through the GURPS Biotech book file, and it appears to reference both Path of Technological and Technological College! without defining them. GURPS Magic doesn't define them either. But I'll tell you what does: "GURPS Magic 4e - Ritual Magic.gdf." Load this book file, and it should work.

I started a new character using the Basic Set, GURPS Bio-Tech, and Ritual Magic files, and now I see the desired behavior.

I don't see any notes in the Bio-Tech file with instructions for dealing with this sort of thing, so it must be an oversight by the file's author. But see the opening data of the Bio-Tech file: it warns that some things have been changed according to (then) unpublished errata, so there may be some things that don't look right.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:01 PM   #5
SRoach

Thank you.