Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #11
lugaid

Default Re: Resources needed to run GUPRS with 1e/2e D&D Modules

A very useful resource for such a project would be Generic Universal Eggplant, a blog which has done a lot of work over the last couple of years in converting D&D monsters, spells, etc. into GURPS terms (for my purposes, the monsters are the main value I get out of it, and the same would probably go for you as well, assuming that you are planning on simply adapting the situations in the published scenarios rather than trying to rebalance them for GURPS, which, I would not envy the job ahead of you if that's what you were planning to do). Here's the D&D tag on the blog. For the rest, the Dungeon Fantasy line or the DFRPG are probably the way to go, as others have already noted, but maybe straight Fantasy and its more down-to-earth templates could work too.

Last edited by lugaid; 09-19-2021 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Better link for the monster index
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #12
mr beer

I run D&D modules in GURPS. I found Dungeon Fantasy does this very well. Assume DF characters are roughly equivalent to 5th level D&D characters. First 3 DF supplements, Magic, GURPS Basic Set is my recommendation.

Whatever you end up doing, if you have many opponents, you can end up with lengthy fights in GURPS. Every non-boss monster the PCs fight "dies" at 0 HP rather than making HT checks to carry on. It's much quicker and no-one has complained yet. The PCs of course get to make HT checks.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:04 AM   #13
GameBuddah

Thanks for all the feedback. I have many G4th books so I can bring the big guns if need be, but want to keep things lightweight to make play easier. I’ll check out the Dungeon Fantasy PDFs this weekend, and see what I can come up with.

The irony of this is that my wife and I were planning to host a campaign based on GURPS Banestorm after the pandemic is over, provided we can recruit a mix of players, since neither one of us is a fan of the old-school hack-n-slash style of play, but I’m going OSR style due to our very limited play time. (I’m also honestly worried that my friend’s non-gamer sister might be put off by more “play acting” or rules heavy style game.)

Another question: what is the difference between GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG?
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #14
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah View Post
Another question: what is the difference between GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG?
The Dungeon Fantasy RPG is basically a standalone set combining the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy rules with the relevant rules from Basic Set, with certain simplifications (e.g., modified advantages simply list their final price, rather than showing all the modifiers) that were intended to make things less intimidating to newcomers.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #15
AOTA

Here is a few sites I found that might help.

https://pdfcoffee.com/gurps-4e-unoff...-pdf-free.html

http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/dnd:mm3-5

https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/D%26D_to_GURPS
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I have many G4th books so I can bring the big guns if need be, but want to keep things lightweight to make play easier. I’ll check out the Dungeon Fantasy PDFs this weekend, and see what I can come up with.

The irony of this is that my wife and I were planning to host a campaign based on GURPS Banestorm after the pandemic is over, provided we can recruit a mix of players, since neither one of us is a fan of the old-school hack-n-slash style of play, but I’m going OSR style due to our very limited play time. (I’m also honestly worried that my friend’s non-gamer sister might be put off by more “play acting” or rules heavy style game.)

Honestly if you have limited playtime the adventure in the DFRPG boxed set can keep you going for quite awhile, though it is pretty hack-and-slash. I once had a couple friends over to run it with pregens and we only got through a couple of fights IIRC.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:32 AM   #17
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I hate to be the spoilsport but I'm disinclined to do this sort of thing because GURPS and D&D are sufficiently different that you may as well be writing the adventure from scratch. For example, in GURPS, unlike D&D, armor subtracts from damage rolls.
As I remember that came late into 1e/2e D&D with the cavalier class and so would be that big a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
This can make it hard to make low-damage enemies much of a threat, even in large numbers—which means a lot of D&D staples like kobolds, dire rats, and imps don't translate well to GURPS. Conversely, the occasional attack doing 10d6 damage or whatever is par for the course in D&D, and high-level characters have the HP to absorb such things, but in GURPS stuff like that is basically save-or-die.
The D&D to GURPS page on the GURPSwiki points out that regarding Hit points (quoting straight from the DMG1e):

"These hit points represent how much damage (actual or potential) the character can withstand before being killed. A certain amount of these hit points represent the actual physical punishment which can be sustained. [B]The remainder, a significant portion of hit points at higher levels, stands for skill, luck, and/or magical factors."[/B Elsewhere it is flat out stated "As has been detailed, hit points are not actually a measure of physical damage, by and large, as far as characters (and some other creatures as well) are concerned"

Mover over there are the Cinematic Rules which allow one to pull off some of the over the top craziness seen in D&D.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #18
Mr_Sandman

You might want to consider using GURPS Simple Fantasy (https://viridiangames.com/gurps-simple-fantasy/) as the rules you give your players, instead of GURPS Lite. It trims things down to just what’s needed for a simple fantasy games, and puts magic back in.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
DemiBenson

Many years ago, I ran a 1e D&D module in GURPS, using the very first G:DF books, and it was very successful.
Lessons I learned:
  • Don’t try to convert D&D, just go for the right thematic feel
  • Seriously, don’t try to convert monster stats - just make up whatever feels right, take notes, and keep going. “Oh, the next room has bugbears. Ok, bugbears are, uh, SM+1, ST16, DR2, and their heads are an extra SM+1 on top of that; they carry polearms and clubs, giving them damage of X.”
  • Use the D&D module as the framework of your story, and add/subtract/modify to make a fun game. “Sneaking in the back way is too short, so I’ll add twisty passages and a deep ravine with a rock monster”
  • Improvise, a lot
  • Paladins with horses don’t belong in dungeons
  • GURPS is a toolkit, so have some idea what tools you want to add to your kit
Old 09-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
Many years ago, I ran a 1e D&D module in GURPS, using the very first G:DF books, and it was very successful.
Lessons I learned:
  • Don’t try to convert D&D, just go for the right thematic feel
  • Seriously, don’t try to convert monster stats - just make up whatever feels right, take notes, and keep going. “Oh, the next room has bugbears. Ok, bugbears are, uh, SM+1, ST16, DR2, and their heads are an extra SM+1 on top of that; they carry polearms and clubs, giving them damage of X.”
  • Use the D&D module as the framework of your story, and add/subtract/modify to make a fun game. “Sneaking in the back way is too short, so I’ll add twisty passages and a deep ravine with a rock monster”
  • Improvise, a lot
  • Paladins with horses don’t belong in dungeons
  • GURPS is a toolkit, so have some idea what tools you want to add to your kit
Good advice. For a detailed "building" of a monster (the "boss" of the dungeon) take a look at D&D Lich in GURPS. Ideally such detail should be reserved to the most important monsters in the dungeon.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote