Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #41
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
GCA 5 or GCA 4.2?

I've always thought of GURPS Character Assistant 4 as being GCA for 4th edition. GCA5 sounds rather like this would be a version for GURPS 5th Edition (which as far as I know isn't currently planned).

Might it be better to call this GCA 4.2 or something similar that has a 4 to correlate it with 4th Edition? Just a suggestion.
GCA3 also supported GURPS 4th Edition, it just wasn't released by SJGames.

Mostly, official sources just refer to it as GURPS Character Assistant without the number, but obviously that would be counterproductive right now when it's not officially released yet, and we need to differentiate between the programs.

(GCA5 is s a huge update of nearly everything the program is made of, and requires all new sheets, different character formats, etc. I don't feel like a minor version number change gets that point across.)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #42
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Within GCA5, you've got buttons on the third toolbar for Hidden and Components. Components are the things that make up templates that own all their parts (their costs are combined into the template itself). They'll be shown under the owner in the list the owner is a part of. Hidden items are, well, anything hidden, which is also most components on older templates, but also a lot of 'helper' attributes and such.

Check those to see everything globally. Most Sheets will have their own settings for whether to show those or not. On the Official sheet it's under Show Hidden Traits and Show Component Traits down near the bottom of Settings.
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:54 PM   #43
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Since there are a bunch of alternate book rules available, can we get a GCA5 GDF for LogST?

I built one for GCA4, but it doesn't translate. Which is a bummer.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #44
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Since there are a bunch of alternate book rules available, can we get a GCA5 GDF for LogST?

I built one for GCA4, but it doesn't translate. Which is a bummer.
Why doesn't it translate? GCA5 should read all existing GDFs just fine.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #45
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Why doesn't it translate? GCA5 should read all existing GDFs just fine.
I thought it was working, but:
A, it didn't keep the cost per levels correctly (which was easy enough to fix within GCA5).
B, it didn't keep the damage progression.

It changed BL just fine (and is more stable adding/subtracting LogST), but the damage follows the old progression.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #46
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I thought it was working, but:
A, it didn't keep the cost per levels correctly (which was easy enough to fix within GCA5).
B, it didn't keep the damage progression.

It changed BL just fine (and is more stable adding/subtracting LogST), but the damage follows the old progression.
None of that should be handled differently now. Either there's a bug in GCA5, or something in the file that's handled differently now, that I've since forgotten about.

Please send me the GDF in question, and give me a couple data points of what values *should* be, so I don't have to figure everything out myself. You can send me the file or a download link here or at gca4@misersoft.com.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #47
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [THIRD release out now!]

The THIRD round Beta Preview installer is now available. If you're new to the thread, details in the first post.

You can find the installer available for download from the same location, which is here:

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/charac...etapreview.zip

If you want to validate the ZIP after download, there is a PAR2 file here:

https://www.sjgames.com/gurps/charac...eview.zip.par2

The GCA5 installer is within the ZIP file.

If you already have the previous Beta Preview release installed, this should install smoothly over the top in the same location.

Once installed, this should be version 5.0.157.1. (The previous release was 5.0.1.149.)

If you are curious about what has changed, I post release notes for each build on my GCA5 Blog.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:53 AM   #48
Onkl

Thank you so much! I've just started it up for the first time and love what I see. I'll start creating and diving into the software this weekend. Looks great, feels great, ist lightning fast!

You are great!

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #49
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Thank you so much! I've just started it up for the first time and love what I see. I'll start creating and diving into the software this weekend. Looks great, feels great, ist lightning fast!

You are great!

Cheers

Onkl
I hope you like it!

If you aren't on the mailing list for this, be aware that I accidentally created a new bug when fixing an older one:

We discovered that a fix I made to an earlier build broke some stuff in the current build. Certain features (such as traits that require you to make a choice from a Choice dialog) don't work right when you start with a brand new character (not loaded from a save) and I'll have to get a new build out for that at some point, but it won't be right away. In the mean time, you can just save a new character, close it, then load it back, and things should work again. I'm very sorry about the issue.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #50
benz72

Big fan of both GCA (4 was great, 5 looks even better) and GGA/Foundry and I was wondering if any coordination/collaboration had occurred to make these two very important pieces of the game (creating/maintaining a character and playing with that character) work together.
Any comments?

Thank You

Tags
gca5