Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #61
TippetsTX

Default Re: An Alternate Approach to Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Personally, I hated it. I would just assume my character is studying the next spell/talent all along and when the IQ point is earned, that is when he finally has it down.

It adds a bit more reality into the RPG. Playing in adventures is why I play RPGs. Not because I want to watch my character go to school or hold down jobs or figure out his taxes. This feature of the old ITL I found as a distraction from the gaming and glad to see it go.
And just to provide a friendly counter-point, it was the inclusion of such rules (among other improvements) that made TFT so much more attractive to me and my friends back in the day. D&D progression was a straight line, but TFT provided many paths and the idea that the acquisition of new abilities required focused training created a much more immersive gameplay experience. In fact, this pursuit became part of our campaign narrative; searching for teachers of potent magic or skills was as important as the quest for treasure and fame.

That being said, we did tweak the rules a bit to allow the 'study' window to begin before the necessary IQ was purchased and I have adapted this change to my current game as well. As with the classic ruleset, players can select up to three on-deck talents or spells and then training must be found from schools, guilds or other organizations. The player can then allocate their earned XP immediately into whichever on-deck 'bucket' they choose.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 09-14-2020 at 05:52 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
character generation, character points, prerequisites, progression, talents