Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #311
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It might be time for a call to exchange information, send Halcyone the new ID, and so forth?
Hasn't it only been maybe a few hours since the last time I talked with V? I assume she's good but under a day seems a bit overconfident. I check in after reaching [frantically checks previous posts for city name] Gatetopolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Maximus himself will have no special link to the badge. He will sense if you use any of your unique power from off-world, and he will be able to watch you over most of the five worlds. I would have said all, but then I found this spot"
So he'll be able to tell if I adjust my pigmentation, my face, I pick anything up with a third arm or my Danger Sense triggers? That's a little strange but I can roll with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Yes... perhaps the foulest of all criminals. They are more or less powerful at different times. The Emperor can see much, but he cannot see everything all at once. I don't know how big of an issue it is now... when I woke up I didn't feel it was important. I'm somewhat curious now."
"Well, I don't think I have the time to check in on it, but I think V might."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"That sounds quite extravagant."
"I dunno; I thought a bodyguard/fashion accessory who can discuss the finer points of psych was a bit much too."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Anything else you need from Kunnifax.
Quote:
[188] 21-12-15 14:58:44 GMT
Disguise
3d6 <= 16 : 5 + 1 + 5 = 11 ... success
Names of his contacts (i.e. the general, the airplane people). The key for the gate. Whether it will be believable or not if I come out with a knapsack full of stuff and no sword. If I look like him now.

I'll probably proceed out of the caves towards the imperial side now. I assume I can just walk through the gate now. I'll lock it behind me if I can. Then I'll recover my knapsack if it's not suspicious.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #312
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I was waiting until I had the identity to provide, but Halcyone can initiate the call...
my bad, good call.


Quote:
Vassarious waits until the businesses close, so he can slip in and plant the devices unobserved.
That works for some of the business... but two of the three trouble spots are open 24/7.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hasn't it only been maybe a few hours since the last time I talked with V? I assume she's good but under a day seems a bit overconfident. I check in after reaching [frantically checks previous posts for city name] Gatetopolis.
Sabuleum is the name of the city. You can call or not.


Quote:
So he'll be able to tell if I adjust my pigmentation, my face, I pick anything up with a third arm or my Danger Sense triggers? That's a little strange but I can roll with it.

Kunnifax is unsure what the triggers Maximus can track are, only that they exist. Maximus's "splinter" clarifies a few actions that stick out. Generally, its your abilities that are strait up magic. Using the Pen to talk to each other is visible. Transporting into world using Corco's method is a visible. Vassarious shifting forms is visible (it has the magic power modifier on it).


Quote:
"I dunno; I thought a bodyguard/fashion accessory who can discuss the finer points of psych was a bit much too."
"A thoughtful bodyguard is a real pain to deal with. Speaking as someone who tries to deceive criminals who employ bodyguards."

Quote:
Names of his contacts (i.e. the general, the airplane people). The key for the gate. Whether it will be believable or not if I come out with a knapsack full of stuff and no sword. If I look like him now.
He doesn't have the key to the gate: he smashed the lock with his sword. he had no idea it was here. He happily gives you the names, but then assures her that until she blows her cover, people will happily bend over backwards for her. The general is named Yortifus, should it be important.



"Showing up with no visible sword and a knapsack full of stuff will just add to my mystique. Lets see if I can fit into your clothes... how attached are you to them, and do you have a needle?"


Its not a comfortable fit, but its close enough, and Kunnifax says its better than nothing.


Quote:
I'll probably proceed out of the caves towards the imperial side now. I assume I can just walk through the gate now. I'll lock it behind me if I can. Then I'll recover my knapsack if it's not suspicious.

Halcyone begins the long walk out of the caves. She eventually reaches the imperial side, where guards scan Kunnifax's badge and give her sharp and overly crisp salutes.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #313
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Sabuleum is the name of the city. You can call or not.

Kunnifax is unsure what the triggers Maximus can track are, only that they exist. Maximus's "splinter" clarifies a few actions that stick out. Generally, its your abilities that are strait up magic. Using the Pen to talk to each other is visible. Transporting into world using Corco's method is a visible. Vassarious shifting forms is visible (it has the magic power modifier on it).
Hm... Well I guess we'll just keep using the pens as limited as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"A thoughtful bodyguard is a real pain to deal with. Speaking as someone who tries to deceive criminals who employ bodyguards."
"Yeah, and it helped me save Ardelean more than once. Of course the design reference document was more focused on resistance to small arms fire, and assumed there would be a separate chief of security."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He doesn't have the key to the gate: he smashed the lock with his sword. he had no idea it was here. He happily gives you the names, but then assures her that until she blows her cover, people will happily bend over backwards for her. The general is named Yortifus, should it be important.



"Showing up with no visible sword and a knapsack full of stuff will just add to my mystique. Lets see if I can fit into your clothes... how attached are you to them, and do you have a needle?"
"You can have everything but the armor I'm wearing. Not taking that off; I'd be naked and then it would be awkward. Only fits the tentacle legged anyway."
*rummage* *rummage*
Quote:
[189] 21-12-16 01:00:44 GMT
Retroactive IQ for Needle
3d6 <= 16
1 + 5 + 5 = 11 ... success
[OK, that's the last of them, at least for a while]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its not a comfortable fit, but its close enough, and Kunnifax says its better than nothing.

Halcyone begins the long walk out of the caves. She eventually reaches the imperial side, where guards scan Kunnifax's badge and give her sharp and overly crisp salutes.
I'll give them a few salutes back and ask where the general is. When I find him I'll say:
"I'm done here. I need to go back to the capital tout suite."
Quote:
[190] 21-12-16 01:08:22 GMT
Acting
3d6 <= 15
2 + 1 + 4 = 7 ... success
[191] 21-12-16 01:08:51 GMT
Savoir-Faire (at -2)
3d6 <= 14
5 + 5 + 2 = 12 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #314
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

While casing the first target for a few hours, Vassarious watches the behavior of the patrons and employees and tries to identify the players and who to avoid. They consider the best locations to plant the devices and the best route to take and cover activities to pursue...

They observe an unobtrusive woman, bussing dishes and straightening up the establishment. She's barely noticed as she moves among the tables. She asks her tables one by one if they need anything before she heads into the back and, past the restrooms and then by the kitchen door. A ritual Vassarious has seen twice before. Vassarious watches her as she pulls out a pack of cigarettes as the door closes, hiding her from view.

'Four minutes then..' Vassarious thinks as they move to the restroom as their features start to soften. Moments later, Vassarious exits the lady's room in the waitress' image. They re-enter the dining room and grab a few napkins and place settings to set up the recently vacated tables,

'Three minutes' they think, as they look out to the curtains and take a moment to adjust them to better effect.

'Two minutes' their internal monolog states as they step behind the bar and give it a quick wipe down, and turning to reach up and shift a few bottles into a more aesthetically pleasing arrangement.

"One minute." Vassarious says sweetly as a customer makes a motion with their hand looking for their check, and they come out from behind the bar to the hall, disappearing into the lady's room. Just as the waitress comes in and passes the kitchen, Vassarious exits the bathroom as a silver-haired elder who, before strolling out the back door, turns to the waitress and says...

"Oh sweetie, I think table 2 is ready for their check."

Spoiler:  
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #315
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Kunifax thanks Halcyone for the clothing, and briefly discusses exchanging contact information for phones, but figures the phones won't work in here, and he's stuck. He bids her fairwell, and starts sewing up his new uniform.

Holomaximus warns that his ability to communicate will be even weaker on the capital world, and that he'll have to relay any information through the dreams of the soldier she met in the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll give them a few salutes back and ask where the general is. When I find him I'll say:
"I'm done here. I need to go back to the capital tout suite."
They happily load "Kunnifax" onto a plane and to the capital. It a small multi person craft: Halcyone would call it a private jet if it weren't for the fact that it was so obviously military.

How far out from the capital do you want to land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
While casing the first target for a few hours, Vassarious watches the behavior of the patrons and employees and tries to identify the players and who to avoid. They consider the best locations to plant the devices and the best route to take and cover activities to pursue...

They observe an unobtrusive woman, bussing dishes and straightening up the establishment. She's barely noticed as she moves among the tables. She asks her tables one by one if they need anything before she heads into the back and, past the restrooms and then by the kitchen door. A ritual Vassarious has seen twice before. Vassarious watches her as she pulls out a pack of cigarettes as the door closes, hiding her from view.

'Four minutes then..' Vassarious thinks as they move to the restroom as their features start to soften. Moments later, Vassarious exits the lady's room in the waitress' image. They re-enter the dining room and grab a few napkins and place settings to set up the recently vacated tables,

'Three minutes' they think, as they look out to the curtains and take a moment to adjust them to better effect.

'Two minutes' their internal monolog states as they step behind the bar and give it a quick wipe down, and turning to reach up and shift a few bottles into a more aesthetically pleasing arrangement.

"One minute." Vassarious says sweetly as a customer makes a motion with their hand looking for their check, and they come out from behind the bar to the hall, disappearing into the lady's room. Just as the waitress comes in and passes the kitchen, Vassarious exits the bathroom as a silver-haired elder who, before strolling out the back door, turns to the waitress and says...

"Oh sweetie, I think table 2 is ready for their check."

Spoiler:  
Nicely done!

Vassarious is leaving the last of the "dangerous" establishments when he sees Retifurus (The immortal who shot him up before) coming down the street towards the elderly woman.

The light is dim in the street, as its late and only streetlights are available for illumination (-2). Retifurus says something into a microphone on his shirt. He's holding an assault riffle, and a long thin sword at his waist. He has just come around the corner, and is seven yards away.

Vassarious is in a much more combat ready form, even if they look like a little old lady at the moment.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #316
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Kunifax thanks Halcyone for the clothing, and briefly discusses exchanging contact information for phones, but figures the phones won't work in here, and he's stuck. He bids her fairwell, and starts sewing up his new uniform.

Holomaximus warns that his ability to communicate will be even weaker on the capital world, and that he'll have to relay any information through the dreams of the soldier she met in the hospital.

They happily load "Kunnifax" onto a plane and to the capital. It a small multi person craft: Halcyone would call it a private jet if it weren't for the fact that it was so obviously military.

How far out from the capital do you want to land?
OK, so on Arthus now. I'll aim for, oh, maybe five miles from the capital. If I know V's cell number I'll:
1) Ask for some cash
2) Slip away and make sure I'm not being followed
3) Hide the badge in my pocket and disguise myself as someone else.
4) Buy a drop-phone and reach out to V

Quote:
[192] 21-12-16 17:31:51 GMT
SF at -2
3d6 <= 14
2 + 5 + 2 = 9 ... success
[193] 21-12-16 17:32:42 GMT
Stealth
3d6 <= 15
3 + 4 + 4 = 11 ... success
[194] 21-12-16 17:34:03 GMT
Disguise
3d6 <= 16
5 + 4 + 1 = 10 ... success
[195] 21-12-16 17:34:39 GMT
Streetwise
3d6 <= 15
5 + 1 + 1 = 7 ... success
OK, assuming that all goes to plan, I'll message V, something like:
"V: Halcyone here. Pen phones and shapeshifting draws attention from Maximus. Best to avoid this. In Arthus City; call to arrange meetup at first opportunity."

(And if I'm confused and I'm actually in Sabeleum, I'll go for the same rough strategy, though I won't try to arrange a meetup).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:26 AM   #317
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

"Oh my!"

The old woman exclaims as her hands disappear into her purse, only to reappear with a pair of vicious-looking clawed gloves. Several lines of ridges are on the backs and a closer examination would reveal they are rows of shuriken.


"Are you sure you want to do this, sonny? You should have respect for your elders."


Spoiler:  


Spoiler:  
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:21 AM   #318
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK, so on Arthus now. I'll aim for, oh, maybe five miles from the capital. If I know V's cell number I'll:
1) Ask for some cash
2) Slip away and make sure I'm not being followed
3) Hide the badge in my pocket and disguise myself as someone else.
4) Buy a drop-phone and reach out to V

OK, assuming that all goes to plan, I'll message V, something like:
"V: Halcyone here. Pen phones and shapeshifting draws attention from Maximus. Best to avoid this. In Arthus City; call to arrange meetup at first opportunity."

(And if I'm confused and I'm actually in Sabeleum, I'll go for the same rough strategy, though I won't try to arrange a meetup).
Halcyone makes it to the capital, gets off of the plane, and walks into the city a new person with a large wad of cash. She buys the phone, and sends V the message.



Where is she headed now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Oh my!"

The old woman exclaims as her hands disappear into her purse, only to reappear with a pair of vicious-looking clawed gloves. Several lines of ridges are on the backs and a closer examination would reveal they are rows of shuriken.

"Are you sure you want to do this, sonny? You should have respect for your elders."
"I'm fairly advanced in years myself. But where are my manners? May I have this dance?"


He smiles as he grips his gun. He isn't pulling it up quite yet, waiting for his "dance partner" to make the first move.



Quote:
Spoiler:  

Yeah, this is all good dramatic setup.



The heavy metal door of the establishment is two yards behind you, and has swung shut. It does open in such a way so as to grant cover though. Its probably bullet-proof, and the brick walls of the establishment lack windows. A simple metal trash can seems to be empty next to it. Retifurus is one yard away from his corner. 4 yards behind that is a t-section of the alley, and behind that are old brick residential houses. The buildings are all four stories tall, and you think they have flat roofs. The alley is about 10 feet across. The building across from you has large broken and boarded up windows and a heavy metal door 4 yards from both you and Retifurus. Around the corner are concrete and wrought iron stairwells going both up and down. At the end of the alley (26 yards or so) is a giant heavy metal garbage dumpster and a 10 foot fence with barbed wire.


First action goes to the combatant with the higher speed...which would be the immortal.... if it weren't for danger sense.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #319
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone makes it to the capital, gets off of the plane, and walks into the city a new person with a large wad of cash. She buys the phone, and sends V the message.

Where is she headed now?
Well as much as I'd like to waltz into the Maximus's temple and take a good look around, I'm pretty sure my Kunnifax disguise, even with the badge, would fail rather quickly. Maybe if I could tell a good story. I'll look for a hotel that deals in cash to use as a base and start casing the exterior of the temple.

Quote:
[199] 21-12-17 15:13:15 GMT
Observation
3d6 <= 16
4 + 6 + 1 = 11 ... success
[198] 21-12-17 15:12:36 GMT
Streetwise
3d6 <= 15
6 + 3 + 6 = 15 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #320
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
"I'm fairly advanced in years myself. But where are my manners? May I have this dance?"


He smiles as he grips his gun. He isn't pulling it up quite yet, waiting for his "dance partner" to make the first move.


"Are you sure you don't want to buy a lady a drink first? You came on a little strong last time."


The old woman takes a step closer and whips her hand around and letting fly a shuriken that arcs in a curve through the air, narrowly missing Retifurus.

((Vassarious takes the Step and Attack maneuver, and makes a ranged Feint.

Throwing Art - 14 (Technique, Feint, +4; Range, 7yds, -3; Acc, +3) Effective Skill 18

3d6 <= 18
3 + 4 + 6 = 13 ... success by 5 ))
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.