Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Misc. Spell questions

Skarg, this point you made is a tactical gem:
"For an engaged person, at least that option is only allowed if the figure didn't move at all that turn."

Adv Melee states they may shift if engaged. Or if not engaged move up to 2 hexes. So, if someone moves to engage you, and moved more than 2 hexes distant, making them drop their weapon means they cannot pick it up that turn.

Having tactical windows of most effective time to cast a spell makes for fun game play.

I like this. Thanks.
-Alan
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
Chris Goodwin

Aid: Interesting bit, if damage does in fact come out of Aided ST... just before being hit, Aid yourself. It's a guessing game as to how much, but you essentially turn physical damage received during that time into fatigue/exhaustion, which recovers with rest at 1 per 15 minutes.

If all ST loss comes out of Aided ST, then: lets say you're a wizard with 9 ST. Turn 1 you Aid yourself for 8 ST. Turn 3 you Aid yourself for 8 ST minus however much damage you suffered or used in the meantime. And so on, until the fight is over. At that point, stop Aiding yourself, and when it finishes wearing off you're at 1 ST.

Even better if you have a source of ST already, say, via Staff II. Or Drain Strength, which will heal you of fatigue/exhaustion...

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Chris Goodwin

Turn 2, I use Drain Strength on my pet bear (Wizard, p. 23). I drain him for 25 of his 30 ST, which heals me for 5 fatigue/exhaustion. I tell my bear to hide somewhere safe until it's over. Every other turn I keep "chain Aiding" myself. I can even draw from that extra 5 if I want, but better to leave it as a cushion.

Edit: Oops, Drain Strength is humans/humanoids only. Nice try though.

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 09-25-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #14
hcobb

ITL pg 20, does Clearheadedness work against magical confusion? And what is the duration against a disease or poison?

What is the interaction between Dispel Missiles and rolling the miss the subject?

ITL pg 26 "When any figure enters the slippery area, the player who cast the spell reveals it." I.e. everybody then knows what the other six hexes are?

ITL pg 30, does Unnoticeability stack with Conceal? Does Reveal work against it?

Does staff mana apply to Death Spell?

Last edited by hcobb; 09-25-2018 at 09:33 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #15
Skarg

Chris, yes, clever...

To my mind, anyway, those are all extra reasons to not let Aid ST convert injury into fatigue like that.

We always played that Aid ST would at best keep someone alive who'd otherwise be dead, for two turns - it increases your ST, but doesn't heal nor soak any wounds at all. So it's of pretty limited use, but could be used to buy time to drink a healing potion or cast a final spell or do or say something else useful.

The new death rules in the new ITL make it even less useful for that, since it's now allowed to physick and pour healing potions into recently-dead people to recover them before really dead.

hcobb:

* Good question about Clearheadedness - I also wonder if it covers DX loss due to injury?

* I don't know what you mean by "rolling the miss the subject" (typo?).

* Invisible floor spells which cover a megahex affect the megahex around the target hex, which is secret and does not have to correspond to the megahexes drawn on the map. So no people don't know which adjacent hexes are also slippery

* IIRC Conceal is for static objects and Unnoticeability is for animate figures, so they would never have the same subject, although a Concealed object could be on an Unnoticeable figure, in which case I'd say observers need to notice the figure before they could notice the Concealed object on the figure.

* Dang I hope staff mana doesn't apply to the Death Spell! I would say no.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #16
hcobb

If I may ask the question slightly differently.

ITL p 20 Dispel Missiles "aimed at the spell’s subject"

So this spell offers no protection against accidental hits from missiles that weren't intended to hit the subject, correct?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #17
hcobb

Are ITL pg 20 Summon Scout and ITL pg 21 Staff to Snake "real animals" for the purposes of ITL pg 21 Control Animal and ITL pg 28 Telepathy (T)?

If you control a wizard's staff like this, can you make it explode, or lie to him?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Chris, yes, clever...

To my mind, anyway, those are all extra reasons to not let Aid ST convert injury into fatigue like that.

We always played that Aid ST would at best keep someone alive who'd otherwise be dead, for two turns - it increases your ST, but doesn't heal nor soak any wounds at all. So it's of pretty limited use, but could be used to buy time to drink a healing potion or cast a final spell or do or say something else useful.
Fortunately (or not, depending on your point of view) this is all dependent on a 3/DX roll.

But the point of Aided ST is to be able to be used as ST. It's most commonly used to funnel a lot of ST into one caster so that they can cast a spell requiring more ST than one person typically has, but it's for sure additional ST. Someone aided to 100 ST over their base ST can cast a spell costing 100 ST, and it comes out of the aided ST; why not the same for wounds? (If you want to, as a GM you can specify that this only works when Aided ST is above the figure's natural ST value, but even so it still works as a buff for fighters...)

Quote:
The new death rules in the new ITL make it even less useful for that, since it's now allowed to physick and pour healing potions into recently-dead people to recover them before really dead.
For the most part, those are straight out of original Advanced Melee. They've been modified slightly, and adding physicking is definitely new (but also seems to have been a common house rule). New ITL also makes a distinction between "mostly dead" and "dead dead" (below -5 ST) and limits the less effective methods to the "mostly dead" state.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #19
hcobb

20d fireballs only come from Rods (ITL p163) and not direct castings (ITL p135), correct?
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #20
Skarg

Hcobb, you are good at spell questions! You're probably a fun person to have playing wizards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If I may ask the question slightly differently.

ITL p 20 Dispel Missiles "aimed at the spell’s subject"

So this spell offers no protection against accidental hits from missiles that weren't intended to hit the subject, correct?
Good technical wording question, and interesting to rule that way, but I would assume that is not the actual intention of the spell. Probably worth an errata to clarify that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Are ITL pg 20 Summon Scout and ITL pg 21 Staff to Snake "real animals" for the purposes of ITL pg 21 Control Animal and ITL pg 28 Telepathy (T)?

If you control a wizard's staff like this, can you make it explode, or lie to him?
I think Summon Scout you can definitely control with Control Animal like any other summoned animal, in which case though you've just got yourself a summoned scout, and the original summoner just loses contact with it.

I don't see any indication that a Staff To Snake snake is anything other than an animal, except for its "occult damage" and dual existence as a staff. So I think you could Control Animal it. In theory you could use Telepathy on it. Though Telepathy requires touch, I do not think snakes explode or do "pick up" damage unless/until they turn back into a staff. Also that snake probably knows even less than a natural snake, since it just came into existence for the spell. "Suddenly I was here, and I was compelled to slither over there and zap someone with this occult attack I can somehow do. Then you grabbed me. Hi."

I imagine a similar sort of conversation if you use Telepathy to interrogate someone's Summon Scout rat, except it would probably know where it came from so you might be able to figure out what it means and find the general way back to where it was summoned.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote