Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #1
captnchuck67

Default couple of questions

1) so 1/64 is 25MM scale?

2) where if possible can I get sleeves?

3) where is the new stuff? I needs me more not just cars but stuff to put in them you know.

If anyone has skills to design the bits I can print them.
captnchuck67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
Aleph
Administrator

Default Re: couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnchuck67 View Post
According to Google, it's about 27mm.

Quote:
2) where if possible can I get sleeves?
The cards will fit well into Mini-European sized sleeves. There was an in-depth discussion on various sleeve and storage options here: https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=171486

Quote:
3) where is the new stuff? I needs me more not just cars but stuff to put in them you know.
The kickstarter project included several years worth of expansions in it, so there are a lot of expansion options out there. You can browse them here: https://carwars.sjgames.com/products/expansions/

Don't let the name of the Miniatures Set 1-4 fool you, those also include around 150 cards of various equipment for your vehicles as well as the miniatures.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
HeatDeath

1 ) Yes.

2 ) Per this thread, you want Mini-European card sleeves (I use Gamegenic's, Amazon will have them as should almost any FLGS) and the Ultra-Pro Mini-American 16-up card pages (if you're so inclined): http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...sleeves&page=4

3 ) Due to larger market conditions in the game industry, slow-dripping expansion releases over time is not a really viable product strategy these days. The current product line basically dumped 5+ years of scheduled expansions all at once at launch. The two major announced products in current development are the companion book, which is more about optional rules and scenarios, and the motorcycles expansion, both of which will see an eventual crowdfunding campaign. Nothing involving further equipment cards is currently announced. [Motorcycles is still in early development, and while they are attempting to have all or most current equipment cards be usable on bikes, nothing is promised, let alone set in stone at the moment. It will probably involve new equipment cards either way though.]

This assumes, of course, that you have all four car miniature sets, the armory pack, the crew pack, the dropped weapons pack, etc. If you don't, then that's your next step: https://carwars.sjgames.com/products/expansions/

Somewhere on my long list of upcoming CW-related programming projects is a Weapons Lab that will let you select dice and game effects, then use a tuned machine learning model to ballpark a build-points cost for it. I'll get to it eventually.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 10-24-2022 at 11:46 AM.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
captnchuck67

I have everything,so I am going to dive right in. I am even going to try and paint some up myself.

The only Thing I really think they can not do in this scale is the Big rigs. buses maybe but not the 18 wheeler.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
captnchuck67

now to find me some targets I mean runners
Old 11-04-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnchuck67 View Post
for Pedestrians, I like "20mm" scale miniatures. The Drivers from the OOP game Dark Future fit perfectly into most normal-sized HotWheels scale cars, if you like to kitbash some Car Wars models.
I found a few companies that have decent minis for this size, and they look good next to the Car Wars cars! Elhiem is one place, they sell 3D print files for some - that's new since the last time I looked. I use these for GURPS too, so I linked the Pulp Era page. The have neat sci-fi and military figs too that would make good Autoduellists I think.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
for Pedestrians, I like "20mm" scale miniatures. The Drivers from the OOP game Dark Future fit perfectly into most normal-sized HotWheels scale cars, if you like to kitbash some Car Wars models.
I found a few companies that have decent minis for this size, and they look good next to the Car Wars cars!
Myself, I've backed several Bones Kickstarters (mostly for the fantasy figures), so I have a bunch of plastics laying around. There are a number of figures in the Chronoscope line that look pretty nice as Car Wars pedestrians. For the plastic ones, just chop off the base and mount them on a smaller base. Or if you get the metal ones, just use a smaller base. They might look a tad large, but not horribly so. And there are so many to choose from.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
captnchuck67

If I have the whole shebang,about how many cards are there . Im buying the sleeves, just want to know how many I need around
Old 11-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
n5dkj

1:64 scale is 1in to 5.3ft or 28mm to 1.8m
1:72 scale is 1in to 6.0ft or 25mm to 1.8m
1:90 scale is 1in to 7.5ft or 20mm to 1.8m

So, 20mm pedestrians would be undersized compared to the cars. 25mm pedestrians are also undersized, but not as much. 28mm pedestrians would be the ones that most closely match the scale of the cars. 28mm scale is also S scale in model railroading.

Personally, I would tend to keep the focus on the cars and go with 20mm scale, but then I've never been all that focused on ultra-realism. I'm considering HO scale which is 21mm or 1:87 scale, which have the advantage from my perspective of being not only widely available, but available pre-painted, so I don't have to mess with them at this point.
n5dkj is offline   Reply With Quote