Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #31
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Precise range measurement (and precision measurement in general) are TL5.
Test shots, however, can be done earlier, and should give the same bonus.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Test shots, however, can be done earlier, and should give the same bonus.
Isn't that the Follow Up Shots bonus?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #33
BraselC5048
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Test shots, however, can be done earlier, and should give the same bonus.
If there's no test shots, but the speed is known to be zero (probably at least +1.5 of the bonus), and you've been standing around in front of the target for a minute or so, and the range is very short anyway (under 10 yards), I figure you can tell the range precisely enough anyway, with some practice to at least a yard or so, without having to pace it off. I also suspect that when using a bow, for example, that knowing what the distance to the target right there is in feet is less important than having plenty of time to visually see what the distance is, since the actual number wouldn't be worth much.

At anything past short range, say 10-20 yards at the most, knowing the distance would be far more important.
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #34
Green-Neck
 
Green-Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fryers Forest Australia
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So adjustable sights do nothing?
Settle down there big fella.
I find adjustable sights very useful for matching my cross hairs to my ammunition at a known range. When I'm hunting I don't have time to adjust my sights, or I go home hungry. I suspect your gun needs are very different to mine. That's ok.
The point I was making was about fixed sights and known ranges. I would allow the +3 for fixed sights, and also for other weapons such as bows. The lower the velocity the more important range estimation becomes, and I think the ability to judge distance is one of the major components to any ranged weapon skill.
I would also suggest that whilst precision measurement does not arrive until tl5, neither do precise ranged weapons.
__________________
A fine blend of hillbilly and permaculturist.
Green-Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Neck View Post
I find adjustable sights very useful for matching my cross hairs to my ammunition at a known range.
What game mechanics do you suppose apply here then?
Quote:
When I'm hunting I don't have time to adjust my sights, or I go home hungry.
If you don't have time, then why do you suppose you can claim a bonus that expressly is for: non-combat shooting on known range courses; laser rangefinders; and fixed support positions or sniper positions with range cards? The +3 for known range isn't supposed to be a typical bonus for combat shooting.
Quote:
The point I was making was about fixed sights and known ranges. I would allow the +3 for fixed sights, and also for other weapons such as bows. The lower the velocity the more important range estimation becomes, and I think the ability to judge distance is one of the major components to any ranged weapon skill.
Isn't that then therefore a component of skill rather than an external conditional bonus?
Quote:
I would also suggest that whilst precision measurement does not arrive until tl5, neither do precise ranged weapons.
In which case a bonus for precise range isn't useful until weapons exist that can benefit from it.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #36
BraselC5048
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

And I suspect that a major reason for the bonus is that the target's speed and direction are known to be zero. Consider the difference between shooting at something that's unpredictably moving at a non-constant speed (i.e. something resembling combat), versus shooting at something that completely stationary, and isn't going to be going anywhere. I don't see any other bonus that would represent that, the pressure ones wouldn't, and the being on a range bonus has much more to do with the environment then the nature of the target. So it seems that the +3 is for that reason as much as anything else.

Besides, it's not like adjustable sights have settings for 5 yards, 10 yards, and 20 yards anyway, so there wouldn't be any bonus over a fixed sight in the first place at short ranges. It would only matter if the sight actually had something to be adjusted to for the range - long range shooting.
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Penalty for for having to shoot down a tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
And I suspect that a major reason for the bonus is that the target's speed and direction are known to be zero.
You get the same bonus with a rangefinder in combat.
Quote:
Consider the difference between shooting at something that's unpredictably moving at a non-constant speed (i.e. something resembling combat), versus shooting at something that completely stationary, and isn't going to be going anywhere.
You wouldn't get the bonus on an unknown range course with stationary targets.
Quote:
Besides, it's not like adjustable sights have settings for 5 yards, 10 yards, and 20 yards anyway, so there wouldn't be any bonus over a fixed sight in the first place at short ranges. It would only matter if the sight actually had something to be adjusted to for the range - long range shooting.
Yes, but this is a problem with a lot of bonuses for ranged weapons in GURPS. Many of them probably ought to only reduce penalties for range only.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contest, difficulty, penalties, shooting, tube

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.