Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #41
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: FP/ER Regeneration And Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Ambient energies blocked by Esoteric or Supernatural item/condition, -5%, is RAW as of (GURPS Powers, pg 24). Likewise, Countermeasures: Special advantages or skills, -5% is also RAW as of (GURPS Powers, pg 20). Please show me where it is published that these limitations are prohibited for the Energy Reserve advantage and/or the Extra Fatigue advantage? I've looked. I can't find anything RAW that prohibits it.

Now, if you're saying that you wouldn't allow it in your campaigns? Thats' fine. Far be it from me to be down on anyone using house-rules (I use enough of them myself!) ... but then we are talking house-rules and not RAW; its' nice to specify which one you're talking about so as to avoid confusing other people.
Thanks for providing the pages.

I still stick by my original point. I don't see that Supernatural item/condition and Countermeasures fully apply. Not being able to cast my Fireball spell in a no mana area is a very significant limitation in a no mana area; hence being Magical is -10%. Not being able to recover Energy Reserve in a no mana area doesn't hurt me in the slightest in a no mana area.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #42
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
OK I did. Regeneration (only Energy Reserve, Magical) -10% AND Magical -10% sounds to me like getting 10% for free.
For starters it not Energy Reserve (Magic) Only but Energy Reserve Only so if you also bought or get affected with Energy Reserve (Psi) then Regeneration (ER only) would work just as well with that as with your Energy Reserve (Magic).

Also Magical is about when you can use it (non in a no mana area, or being counter/serpersted) Not what it can be used for. when and what are separate modifiers.

And remember even if you never buy anything that uses your ER that doesn't chnage the cost of the ER. So the fact that you also can't use your ER for anything thing when the PM kickins in dosent change the fact the Power Modifier limitation that stop from using the ER in some stataure... even if the use is only "healing" the ER is still worth points

Last edited by roguebfl; 06-05-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: you
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #43
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
For starters it not Energy Reserve (Magic) Only but Energy Reserve Only so if you also bought or get affected with Energy Reserve (Psi) then Regeneration (ER only) would work just as well with that as with your Energy Reserve (Magic).
Incorrect. Energy Reserve only recharges by abilities with that source, so Regen (ER; Magic, -10%) can't regenerate ER (Psi).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #44
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Incorrect. Energy Reserve only recharges by abilities with that source, so Regen (ER; Magic, -10%) can't regenerate ER (Psi).
That's a bold assertion, can you back it up? Because Powers describes ER's ability to be charge by other sources in a inclusive way, not a prescriptive way.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #45
Langy

Quote:
That's a bold assertion, can you back it up? Because Powers describes ER's ability to be charge by other sources in a inclusive way, not a prescriptive way.
Quote:
Abilities of that source can also help.
Emphasis in the original. True, without the emphasis it would be inclusive, not prescriptive, but with the emphasis it means that only abilities of that source can help recharge ER.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #46
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Emphasis in the original. True, without the emphasis it would be inclusive, not prescriptive, but with the emphasis it means that only abilities of that source can help recharge ER.
No it written like that so that things likes the Recover Energy spell will work With ER (Magic) without having having to go though a list of work with the new version of special FP without having to risk making a list then people complaining a missed or new ability isn't on that list.

It is Not meant limit non limited 'what's when you put a 'when' limit on them. For that to happen you MUST also put an 'what' limit on them.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #47
Langy

Quote:
No it written like that so that things likes the Recover Energy spell will work With ER (Magic) without having having to go though a list of work with the new version of special FP without having to risk making a list then people complaining a missed or new ability isn't on that list.

It is Not meant limit non limited 'what's when you put a 'when' limit on them. For that to happen you MUST also put an 'what' limit on them.
No, if they meant that abilities without the power source could also help, then it wouldn't have been emphasized. Also, this section was after the bit about Recover Energy helping, and does not apply to Recover Energy (being a skill, not an ability as Powers defines them).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the intent is that an ability needs to be specifically intended to help with that specific source's ER. Yes, this could actually be from a different power source, but different abilities can charge up different types of ER - just having Regeneration (ER) does not charge up all of your various ER types at once, it only impacts a single type of ER. If you want it to charge up multiple ER types, you have to buy the enhancement multiple times.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #48
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
No, if they meant that abilities without the power source could also help, then it wouldn't have been emphasized. Also, this section was after the bit about Recover Energy helping, and does not apply to Recover Energy (being a skill, not an ability as Powers defines them).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the intent is that an ability needs to be specifically intended to help with that specific source's ER. Yes, this could actually be from a different power source, but different abilities can charge up different types of ER - just having Regeneration (ER) does not charge up all of your various ER types at once, it only impacts a single type of ER. If you want it to charge up multiple ER types, you have to buy the enhancement multiple times.
Given that the description of ER modifers for Regeneration do not mention anything about pickinking let alone requireing a pick I see no support that conetntion
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #49
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Can you quote anything which would make it an invalid limitation? I just searched through my books (pdfs) and I'm not finding anything that says its' invalid. The closest I'm finding is in Supers where its' talking about a gadget's energy reserve used to power the gadget's advantages.
That bit from p76 of Supers is all I see. That, and the lack of a published version of a Reserve with a power modifier, seems like an indicator against its allowance. It seemed reasonable to me to keep ER's out of a power, since if the associated power is blocked, access to the ER is meaningless.

INK. As usual, for the legality lowdown, you should go to the source :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, regeneration