Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Athanbeli

Default Extra Effort (jumping) while in combat

Hi everybody.

In the next session, one of the PC will probably ask me to perform a long jump in order to pursue an enemy NPC, who is easily getting away from the melee thanks to super jump.
My confusion first arises from the jumping rules: in that chapter you're invited to pass over the distance formulas and just give a penalty to the DX/Jumping roll when a character attempts a jump during combat. This seem a bit vague to me, expecially when this feat is to be compared to the jumping ability of his foe.
So, taking for granted that I'll go back to exactly calculate the PC's jumping distance, I assume he'll have to resort to extra effort to boost his chances. Here, a second problem arises: while the combat options give very useful bonuses without requiring will rolls (I'm thinking about the much abused 'feverish defense' option, for instance) every other application of extra effort seems very risky in combat. In the aforementioned case, the PC is going to face a penalty to the Will roll ranging from -10 to -15 to get a +50% to his jumping distance (considering a +5 from danger and a big penalty from being already fatigued).
This seems a big discrepancy to me.
How do you handle situations such a this?

Thankyou all!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: Extra Effort (jumping) while in combat

He doesn't need to jump all the distance, if he loses for 2 yards, he can try a climbing roll to end the jump.

Also, he can try to use a ranged weapon...
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
He doesn't need to jump all the distance, if he loses for 2 yards, he can try a climbing roll to end the jump.

Also, he can try to use a ranged weapon...
He has no time to ready a ranged weapon, and if he's to climb his way on the other side of the jump (where did you find that exact ruling?) he'll be at the mercy his enemy.

But, in general, it surprises me that - while in combat - you can automatically get big bonuses to your attacks and defenses, but not improve any other manouvre (which might be just as necessary in the fight itself).
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
Refplace

Th Exra Effort combat rules are for simplier and more instinctive tasks then the general extra effort rules.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Th Exra Effort combat rules are for simplier and more instinctive tasks then the general extra effort rules.
I get the spirit of this distinction. But I guess some combat-related activities - like chasing your enemy or fleeing from him - are just as immediate and adrenaline-driven asd any defense or attack.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
He has no time to ready a ranged weapon, and if he's to climb his way on the other side of the jump (where did you find that exact ruling?) he'll be at the mercy his enemy.

But, in general, it surprises me that - while in combat - you can automatically get big bonuses to your attacks and defenses, but not improve any other manouvre (which might be just as necessary in the fight itself).
To ready a ranged weapon you need 1 second, can use fast draw and do it in 0 seconds, he will spend 1 turn shooting vs 2 turns preparing to jump.

If he jumps, he will not be at the mercy of the enemy, the enemy is running away, not waiting still in the other side. If he was standing still, waiting to the hero to jump, then I don't see why the hero can't prepare his weapon.
I didn't saw this rule, but is simply common sense, if he fails by one or two yards, he will still be going forward until he hits the ground, or in this case, the wall, and when he hits the wall, he will be able to climb this said wall.

Also, if there is 2+characters, one can jump while the others try their ranged weapons, even throwing weapons have a range bigger than a super jump 1, and if they need time to prepare the weapons(loading the crossbows for example).

Last edited by gilbertocarlos; 06-06-2012 at 08:16 AM.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
I get the spirit of this distinction. But I guess some combat-related activities - like chasing your enemy or fleeing from him - are just as immediate and adrenaline-driven asd any defense or attack.
Yes, but jumping is not one of them. At least for humans.
You have to take extra time to prepare for a full jump, combat jump is half the distance. Jumping for humans is just not something were really built for as part of our combat fight or flight system.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Bruno

Dungeon Fantasy 2 (and I"m pretty sure Action 2 and Monster Hunters 2) have sections on "Parkour" type activities, but the rules are deliberately simplified from the core rules for the goal of quick play.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
To ready a ranged weapon you need 1 second, can use fast draw and do it in 0 seconds, he will spend 1 turn shooting vs 2 turns preparing to jump.

If he jumps, he will not be at the mercy of the enemy, the enemy is running away, not waiting still in the other side. If he was standing still, waiting to the hero to jump, then I don't see why the hero can't prepare his weapon.
I didn't saw this rule, but is simply common sense, if he fails by one or two yards, he will still be going forward until he hits the ground, or in this case, the wall, and when he hits the wall, he will be able to climb this said wall.

Also, if there is 2+characters, one can jump while the others try their ranged weapons, even throwing weapons have a range bigger than a super jump 1, and if they need time to prepare the weapons(loading the crossbows for example).
The enemy NPC is not really fleeing, he's more getting out of a situation in which he's outnumbered and outflanked.
The PCs are nowhere as effective with ranged attacks as they are in melee (the chasing PC has been stabbing his enemy in close combat, dual-wielding his swords in reversed grip...).
Most importantly, stopping the chase would be definitely UN-HEROIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Dungeon Fantasy 2 (and I"m pretty sure Action 2 and Monster Hunters 2) have sections on "Parkour" type activities, but the rules are deliberately simplified from the core rules for the goal of quick play.
Great! Didn't remember about the jumping rules in MH. Being margin-based they should fit perfectly.
I might let the jumper use extra effort for a fixed +2/+3 on the roll.