Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #21
dataweaver

Default Re: Gurps Vehicles

I'm hoping that when and if they finally get around to 4e's VDS, the one-line vehicle "stat block" will be front and center in it, not sitting on the sidelines or tacked on as an afterthought. That is, I want everything in the system to be geared toward filling in one or more of those numbers; anything that fails to do so should be stripped out of the design system if at all possible.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #22
zorg
Experimental Subject

Completely aside this vehicles debate: The OP asked for vehicle rules, without noting whether or not he's aware of the current, existing rules in the Basic Set.

I feel it's a disservice to the Basic Set to act as if vehicle action was completely unsupported in 4E. It isn't. The wish for a detailed vehicle design system is another matter entirely.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:33 AM   #23
Darekun

Something that just occurred to me: Release a vehicle design system only as software, leaving the monkey work to a computer. Have the compatibility and such problems been worked out of the software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Regardless of what the current plans are, this geekery would be in a PDF, so the whiners who don't want to see it won't and if they want to complain, they're looking to complain.
The problem is that 3ed's vehicle stat blocks were taken over by a format that included data for reverse-engineering them with VE. Even the 4ed stat blocks include a lot of this stuff, like the list of subassemblies. That's why I suggested a division that would make the extra data ignorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
If you want to spend 7 hours designing a robot character with an almost random point cost that could be made as a character balanced to the campaign in 30 minutes more power to you.
Note that I do stat rather than build superscience robots. An almost-random cost and weight are fine for handwavium that isn't well-bound to TL. If I want realistic cost, weight, and advancement, though, that doesn't cut it.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #24
Langy

Quote:
If you want to spend 7 hours designing a robot character with an almost random point cost that could be made as a character balanced to the campaign in 30 minutes more power to you. The rest of us just want to get a game going.
Yes, when you want to make a robot PC you use the character design system - but when designing a robot NPC/piece of technology that makes sense with regards to all the other technological assumptions of the setting, the character design system is really lacking.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #25
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yes, when you want to make a robot PC you use the character design system - but when designing a robot NPC/piece of technology that makes sense with regards to all the other technological assumptions of the setting, the character design system is really lacking.
In that case, certainly, it makes a lot of sense. I didn't really consider robots as gear in my previous statements. Though when making the leap from "gear" to "(N)PC" that randomness still crops up.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #26
Darekun

Quote:
In that case, certainly, it makes a lot of sense. I didn't really consider robots as gear in my previous statements. Though when making the leap from "gear" to "(N)PC" that randomness still crops up.
It's still possible to use VE to build it, then assign it a point cost using 4ed Basic. That is the maximum effort for the maximum payoff :J
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #27
Libris

I love GURPS Vehicles - the crunch was what did it for me. I went through four or five copies - 1st one, 2nd One, Revised, whatever. I bought them all. I bought all the supplements and the software as well. Did I use the mind boggling level of detail in the game? Hell n... well, sometimes actually, like, "How long does it take to stop this bucket of bolts from Mach 10?" But,to be fair, not very often. I tended to treat GURPS Vehicles more as a solitaire game in itself.

Which brings me to the next point. Where is 4th Edition Vehicles?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
Libris

Quote:
As Zorg said.
I am sure we have all seen this:

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...PSVehicles.jpg
That's complete rubbish - three hours would only give you the first prototype design. :)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libris
Which brings me to the next point. Where is 4th Edition Vehicles?
Lost somewhere in editing/rewrite. There was a playtest over a year ago, but something came up that delayed the process.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #30
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
Something that just occurred to me: Release a vehicle design system only as software, leaving the monkey work to a computer. Have the compatibility and such problems been worked out of the software?
This would utterly turn me off from buying it, as much as I'd like such a system. At least give me the choice of using a program to do the grunt work or doing it by hand, since my experience with the former using GVB has been..disappointing given its bugs. So far it along with GCB 3ed are the only two Gurps purchases I've ever felt ripped off on.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps vds, vehicle design system