Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Minuteman37
 
Minuteman37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kenai, Alaska
Default Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Hi guys, I'm planning on having one of my players do a solo Metal Gearisk Spec-Ops mission and I was wondering what kind of gear should he be bringing. He's a Vampire with doesn't eat or drink (except blood), doesn't sleep, 20 ST, gunslinger and he'll be expected to spend several days in the bush while on his mission rescue friendly POWs before the russians get them to talk. He does work for a Mega Corporation that does have a local TL of 9 vs the world's TL8, but I'd prefer to keep things on the TL8 side for this mission.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
mook
 
mook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

This seems an excellent place to start. I'm sure the actual military folks will have some other resources (which I look forward to seeing).
__________________
How to Be a GURPS GM, author
Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, beginners' intro)
GURPS Discord, unofficial hangout and real-time chat
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

It would help if we knew more about his other vampire powers, his mission and his available support.

Do his vampire powers include better ways of seeing and fighting in the dark than modern technological image-intensification NVG gear?

Are the OpFor resource-poor guerillas, terrorists or tribal warbands without access to either high technology or a larger organisation? Or are the army of a nation state? Mercenaries serving a fantastically rich megacorporation?

What kind of security are they likely to have? Do they have attack helicopters and armoured vehicles? Armed drones? High-powered jet ground-attack aircraft?

Does 'solo mission' mean that he is entirely without support during the entire mission and must handle insertion and extraction by himself as well, or does he have the option of calling for some kind of help? That could include expert advice, information technology assistance on request, sensor data from drones or satellites or range up to extraction for himself or the POWs, medevac if wounded or remote strikes.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Minuteman37
 
Minuteman37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kenai, Alaska
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
This seems an excellent place to start. I'm sure the actual military folks will have some other resources (which I look forward to seeing).
Thanks I'll take a look over that.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Minuteman37
 
Minuteman37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kenai, Alaska
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It would help if we knew more about his other vampire powers,
Here's his sheet, should mention all of his abilities.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...u.png~original
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...y.png~original
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...z.png~original
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...j.png~original
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...x.png~original
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...d.png~original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
his mission
His mission is to rescue several friendly operatives who were tasked with obtaining an ancient magical artifact from a russian archaeological dig site, but things went fubar and they got captured by the russian government. Terry's mission is to recuse the four operatives before they can be moved to the russian equivalent of guantanamo bay for further interrogation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
and his available support.
Little he'll be the only combatant sent on the mission, support consists of a reconnaissance satellite and an evacuation Chopper scheduled to meet Terry and the prisoners at a prestable extraction zone several miles away from the facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Are the OpFor resource-poor guerillas, terrorists or tribal warbands without access to either high technology or a larger organisation? Or are the army of a nation state? Mercenaries serving a fantastically rich megacorporation
The military personnel of a russian military base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What kind of security are they likely to have? Do they have attack helicopters and armoured vehicles? Armed drones? High-powered jet ground-attack aircraft?
Yes to everything but the last one, it's a stealth mission for a very good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Does 'solo mission' mean that he is entirely without support during the entire mission and must handle insertion and extraction by himself as well, or does he have the option of calling for some kind of help? That could include expert advice, information technology assistance on request, sensor data from drones or satellites or range up to extraction for himself or the POWs,medevac if wounded or remote strikes.
It does not everything you mentioned he will have access to.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:13 AM   #6
Sam Baughn
 
Sam Baughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Do the enemy know about the supernatural? Are they unusually competent? Because if not, it looks like that guy barely needs equipment. Between his social and stealth skills, he should be a very competent infiltrator. In fact, I'd be tempted to not carry anything that would draw suspicion, get inside the compound and then just murder the crap out of the entire base with whatever weapons you find lying around.

If you do want to bring gear, I'd concentrate on things to keep the rescued operatives alive. Bring medical and survival gear and pack at least one spare radio. A few sugar-rich snacks and painkillers are likely to be welcome and keep them functional. A few bags of whole blood in the appropriate types can help save the humans or act as emergency supplies for the vampire.

At some point, you're likely to need to get through some locked doors or similar barriers. A pair of bolt cutters and a go-bar combined with inhuman strength should deal with most of them, but serious military grade stuff may require explosives and/or thermite.

Your main vulnerabilities are fire and sunlight. Sunlight can be avoided by working at night (be sure to pack a shelter to hide in during the day), but fire tends to be less predictable. Wear flame resistant clothing and carry at least one fire extinguisher.

You don't need any help to see in the dark, but the people you are rescuing probably will. Pack enough night-vision gear for them all.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 AM   #7
Minuteman37
 
Minuteman37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kenai, Alaska
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Do the enemy know about the supernatural? Are they unusually competent? Because if not, it looks like that guy barely needs equipment. Between his social and stealth skills, he should be a very competent infiltrator. In fact, I'd be tempted to not carry anything that would draw suspicion, get inside the compound and then just murder the crap out of the entire base with whatever weapons you find lying around.
They may have an inkling of an idea, but not enough to of prepared for a vampire attack. Besides that The key objective of this mission is to rescue the prisoners STEALTHFULY, not to kill the 400 or so base personal for the lulz.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
Sam Baughn
 
Sam Baughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
They may have an inkling of an idea, but not enough to of prepared for a vampire attack. Besides that The key objective of this mission is to rescue the prisoners STEALTHFULY, not to kill the 400 or so base personal for the lulz.
Probably shouldn't have sent a monster with Impulsiveness, Bad Temper, Bloodlust and Flashbacks then.

If you're planning to get the captives out without killing many guards, then you definitely need to bring NVGs for all of them, as well as camouflage or disguises for them and maybe some method of getting them to the extraction point faster; folding pushbikes if it's reachable by road, skis if it's over snow. Bring a massive heap of gear and dump most of it before entering the base to be recovered on the way out.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
smurf
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

I'm busy doing something on a similar project.

Old 3rd Ed books may help.

I'm filling out a spread sheet of all the various special groups and trying to convert them to 4e. Try and extrapolate some details for 'futuristic' versions.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
DAT
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Default Re: Spec-Ops Commando Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
This seems an excellent place to start. I'm sure the actual military folks will have some other resources (which I look forward to seeing).
I've used this in a couple modern military adventures.

For Special Ops, I have also used GURPS Monster Hunter Loadouts for ideas (if you have it).
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.