Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Aagnathist

Default Looking to start an E-mail/IRC campaign

Because apparently I'm a masochist and desire a headache.

Anyrate, yeah, I would like to get the ball rolling on an E-mail campaign, with as many people as we can handle. I don't have the opportunity to go and sit down at a table to play, unfortunately, so I figured this might be the next best thing. If you're interested, great! Leave a comment and I'll respond (preferably E-mail) as quickly as possible. I'm on night shift, so some delays during the (US) day.

And somebody tell me if I'm even allowed to ask this stuff on here.
I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Edit: If you're interested in something like this, go ahead and submit a couple ideas for what kind of game you would want to be run (style, power level, etc.). After enough attention had been garnered, I'll sort through them and steay compiling a more fleshed out game.

Last edited by Aagnathist; 06-13-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: additional information
Aagnathist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Looking to start an E-mail/IRC campaign

This should really go in the "Gamer Finder" forum, which is in the Gnomes of Zurich section. With any luck, a moderator will move this thread there soon.

It would be helpful to potential players if you gave us some idea of the theme, setting and power level of the campaign.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Aagnathist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This should really go in the "Gamer Finder" forum, which is in the Gnomes of Zurich section. With any luck, a moderator will move this thread there soon.
Thanks for the heads up, though it seems a bit counter-intuitive to have a game finder section in only one section of the forum. It never even occurred to me to look there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It would be helpful to potential players if you gave us some idea of the theme, setting and power level of the campaign.
I have no set theme, setting or power level right now. I have a set of very broad ideas, but I'd like to tailor make this campaign to the players, and involve them in the creation process as much as possible (not to the point of "to many cooks" level, though). If I can't garner enough attention through this method, though, I will try again with more specifics in play.

Thank you for your reply!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aagnathist View Post
I have no set theme, setting or power level right now. I have a set of very broad ideas, but I'd like to tailor make this campaign to the players, and involve them in the creation process as much as possible....
Could you share your broad ideas? GURPS can vary so much that it'd be nice to have a bit of direction on what you intend.

I might be interested, depending on what you're considering.

Instead of pure email, have you considered using a dedicated play-by-post site, so that the game "backstory" becomes automatically archived and easily accessible? There's a forum here for such games, or whole PbP sites (with die-rollers, online character sheets, etc.) like Myth-Weavers.com which I've seen used very successfully.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Could you share your broad ideas? GURPS can vary so much that it'd be nice to have a bit of direction on what you intend.

I might be interested, depending on what you're considering.

Instead of pure email, have you considered using a dedicated play-by-post site, so that the game "backstory" becomes automatically archived and easily accessible? There's a forum here for such games, or whole PbP sites (with die-rollers, online character sheets, etc.) like Myth-Weavers.com which I've seen used very successfully.
Yes Yes Yes! We would love to have you!

I mean, I can only speak for myself. But I think the rest of us would be happy to have you, especially if you're in the mood to GM!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Aagnathist

Quote:
OK, so I'd like to do something where the players show up a day late and a dollar short to defeat whatever the antagonistic entity is (evil ruler, alien invasion, (my personal favorite) 1984esk world government) and see if the players can come back from it. It would be a long campaign, and I'd hope to introduce some strategic elements as well (such as troop movement on a large scale, maybe base operations, I dunno. Could be fun.). Now that I think about it, I think keeping the power level in the normal range would be best. Don't know about y'all, but I like making games harder than normal. But we'd have to talk about it more.
I'm big on story as a GM, so I'd like description and lots of dialogue with the characters.

Quote:
I'm all for something like this, though I'd need some time to figure out how to use it, me never having done something like this before. But yeah, whatever we can use to get the most out of this is fine by me.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Aagnathist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yes Yes Yes! We would love to have you!

I mean, I can only speak for myself. But I think the rest of us would be happy to have you, especially if you're in the mood to GM!
Sorry, confused. To whom do you address this?
Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
Landwalker

Speaking for myself, while the extent of my interest would really depend on what the ultimate nature of the game ended up being (and what sort of rules / supplements / whatever were being used), if you did something like this through a PbP site (I'm most familiar with RPoL), I'd at least want to learn more about it.

Just be warned that, at least in my own experience, play-by-post games can really get bogged down hard in the wrong circumstances and kill the momentum and drive of the game—which is probably true for play-by-email, as well. They can definitely work, but they can also present a lot of challenges.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aagnathist View Post
Sorry, confused. To whom do you address this?
You.

I am an active member of the PbP forum of this site. Proteus suggested that you look into PbP, possibly on this site. You are welcome to join us.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #10
Angle

This sounds vaguely interesting. I'd want to know what kind of campaign, though.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, campaigns, e-mail campaign, starting