Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
cccwebs

Default Re: FP/ER Regeneration And Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This a Gamist interpretation bordering on Munchkinry but "FP-usable only for Spellcasting" is a 0 pt Feature. "FP-usuable only for Spellcasting and goes away in a NMZ" might also be a 0 Pt Feature.

However "Secondary Characteristic-vulnerable to Normal Magical Countermeaures -10%" is generally as valid as any other -10% Magical Power Mod.

Now, if you don't buy Spellcasting Only some Leech or other FP attack can lower your FP pool even if you seldom use it for anything besides Spellcasting.

The big question is "What does the GM allow?". If "ER" is the only choice I might do it but if I can get regular FP with no ceiling and the Magical -10% mod I'd always do that instead.
Sorry, but huh?
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I appreciate your point--adding limitations can leave you points to buy even more cool stuff. However, I don't believe "Magical -10%" works as a limitation for Energy Reserve as such a limitation is already included.
Double check your numbers... that was talking about Regeneration used to refill the ER not the ER... hence why we were talking about [150] vs [75] or [30]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Hmm. How is this different than not having the modifier? If you can't cast spells in a no-mana zone anyway, why does it matter if you have access to your ER or not?
It doesn't matter; usually.

Quote:
Or are you saying that your existing ER would be wiped out and when you left the zone you would have zero ER?
No-Mana means no magic means no ER. The trait stops working. ER holds and recovers dedicated FP. If it stops working, that means it stops holding FP and stops recovering FP.

Quote:
What about low-mana? Do you have to roll at -5 on something to use your ER in a low-mana zone?
I, usually, half the ER values (max and current) while in Low-Mana. Or I have the mage roll IQ-5 to access the ER as a free action; they can take extra time to offset the penalty if they wish.

Others may do things differently.

Quote:
If someone casts Suspend Magic on you, do you lose access to your ER for a while?
Yes, same as if it was any other magic.

Quote:
Will Steal Spell give your ER to your enemies?
If the enemy knows precisely what they're stealing? Yes, same as if it was any other magic.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
Snaps

So how much do you think an Enhancement on ER Regeneration of "Uses rules for High HP and Healing" would be worth?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #25
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
So how much do you think an Enhancement on ER Regeneration of "Uses rules for High HP and Healing" would be worth?
In my games, it'd be a limitation; but I house-rule regeneration. For a generic game ... I'd be comfortable with +30%.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post
Sounds like double dipping.

ER must be tied to a Source (Magic, Psi, etc) to being with. Therefore the situations where one's ER is unavailable are the same situations where one has no abilities to spend it on, since those abilities would also be rendered unavailable.

Kind of like putting "Not while on dry land -10%" on Amphibious, although less clear cut.
It's not double-dipping, but it's mislabeling, it should be called:
ER (Magic) Abilities/Spells Only, -10%

See Powers, pg 119, that minimal price break is there because you can't use it for extra effort.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It's not double-dipping, but it's mislabeling, it should be called:
ER (Magic) Abilities/Spells Only, -10%

See Powers, pg 119, that minimal price break is there because you can't use it for extra effort.
No that's something else. Magical is a Power Modifier.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No that's something else. Magical is a Power Modifier.
I know, but I'm not seeing any published examples of a Power Modifier being valid on ER (Magical), can you quote anything which would make it a valid limitation?
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I know, but I'm not seeing any published examples of a Power Modifier being valid on ER (Magical), can you quote anything which would make it a valid limitation?
That fact you could have a different source to the focus. say ER (Magical) with a Divine power source for priests of a God of Magic to use spells.

ER typing talks about what it can be spent on, Power Modifiers talk about where/when it can be used. Hence WHY it different for you 'mislabeled' comment
Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Can you quote anything which would make it an invalid limitation? I just searched through my books (pdfs) and I'm not finding anything that says its' invalid. The closest I'm finding is in Supers where its' talking about a gadget's energy reserve used to power the gadget's advantages.

Tags
magic, regeneration