Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Dalillama

Default Spiked Basket Hilt

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. Could you, using the Combination Weapon rules, add an additional .25 lb and .25 CF to put small spikes or knobs on a basket hilt to do an additional +1 damage when you punch someone with it? I'm tinkering with some ideas for Orkossacks, and it seems like a suitable sort of thing.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Spiked Basket Hilt

I don't see why not. Some real-world "trench knives" do this, and it does seem fair that if a basket hilt, brass knuckles, pommel, etc. gives +1 to punching damage, then one with great huge spikes on it would give +2. That said, I'd also rule that spikes on the hand guard are fairly asking to get caught up in things: -2 to Fast-Draw and Holdout.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That said, I'd also rule that spikes on the hand guard are fairly asking to get caught up in things: -2 to Fast-Draw and Holdout.
Would it not also give a penalty to resist Disarm?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I don't see why not. Some real-world "trench knives" do this, and it does seem fair that if a basket hilt, brass knuckles, pommel, etc. gives +1 to punching damage, then one with great huge spikes on it would give +2. That said, I'd also rule that spikes on the hand guard are fairly asking to get caught up in things: -2 to Fast-Draw and Holdout.
I don't picture the weapons in question being hidden, although the Fast-Draw might be an issue for the sabers. I'm envisioning them having a style that involves a sword or lance in one hand and a complicated parrying hatchet in the other (with a back spike and spiked basket hilt; perhaps not the most effective offhand weapon ever designed, but you can hit people pretty hard with it, and for Orcs that's a big plus).
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
low tech, low tech combat, low tech companion