Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Paper Powers [Powers/Supers]

Paper is the foundation of any modern society, so it is inevitable that it would become a source of power in any powered setting. As a source, Paper would probably be a -40% power modifier (Environmental, Paper, -40%), so it would only work in environments with available paper. Electricity (paper generating, storing, and directing electricity), Light (paper reflecting light), Psychokinesis (controlling paper for offense and defense), and Sound/Vibration (paper absorbing, directing, and generating sound) would be obvious powers, what other powers would you suggest?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Paper Powers [Powers/Supers]

Various book-related powers - teleportation through books, sealing Evil in a Can Book, instantly reading the content of any book/paper you touch, etc. You could also come at it from an oblique angle - a more general Death Note-type power that lets you hit someone with an Affliction by writing about it. Note this last bit strongly implies -40% is too much of a Limitation for Environmental (Paper) - the actual Death Note would probably be built with Breakable, DR 0 -20% and SM -3 -15% (note Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest -30% isn't in play, as the device isn't obviously powerful and/or a likely target of theft), which is actually less of a Limitation than the -40% Environmental (Rare) would claim for a character who just needs to write on any piece of paper. Environmental: Paper is probably -20% (Occasional - Often Absent/Easily Avoided) or so, comparable to being in the city.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
whswhs

I definitely would not accept electricity; the electrical properties of most kinds of paper are negligible. I suppose I'd allow its use as insulation, which would be specialized DR. Storing and directing electricity seems like a function, not of the substance "paper," but of the information stored on the paper; at best you'd need a source of knowlege for what that information should be and then you'd need to wait for the information to work through social channels. Sound and light are a little more justifiable, but depend on having paper of the right kind, and it doesn't seem to me that most paper is very loud.

The anime series R.O.D. (for Read Or Die) had some clever uses of paper, as I recall it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:11 AM   #4
dcarson

Summon Ally via origami.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:40 AM   #5
Anders

Snatcher for taking things drawn on a paper. Cutting attacks (probably with a hefty Armor Divisor).
Old 11-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The anime series R.O.D. (for Read Or Die) had some clever uses of paper, as I recall it.
Both the OVA series (based on the manga Read or Die) and the TV series (based on the sequel Read or Dream) are fantastic.

I imagine those powers would basically just work like a "requires components" limitation, similar to when you require a staff to do magic.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I imagine those powers would basically just work like a "requires components" limitation, similar to when you require a staff to do magic.
Well, maybe. But I don't think "I can do anything, as long as I have a sheet of paper" is what I would call "paper powers." And it doesn't seem to be quite what the OP was asking for. I was looking for powers that involve being able to sense paper, or control it, or do things that paper can do.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Plane

Telekinesis with Animation limited to paper?

I recall that Yomiko could actually harden paper to stop bullets too, but I'm not sure how to represent that.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I would look at this the way I look at most things: Special Effects and Mechanics are separate.

Snatcher for things drawn is very similar to my character, Jasmine's, power, but she is an artist, and paper is simply a medium on which she draws. She can snatch larger things by using chalk and the side of a building. (Never allowed to draw an out-bound missile aimed toward the target, again.)

But, for things that you can do with paper, I would say Snatcher would still be fine, but not for things drawn but more things made. Origami, which was suggested for summons, would also work well for Snatcher. Which is how the character Trinket, in our super-carnies game, works. She is, basically, a balloon-druid clown. She makes balloon animals and vehicles. The power is limited with "Constructs have half HP and DR because, they're balloons."

To me, it's less about how would it actually work, and more how can we explain it, using balloons that is consistent as well as hilarious.

Paper armor, paper weapons, paper plates (wait, sorry, this isn't a shopping list). I always think it's better to make the character, and explain how their powers work rather than try to come up with the explanation beforehand.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Telekinesis with Animation limited to paper?

I recall that Yomiko could actually harden paper to stop bullets too, but I'm not sure how to represent that.
PK Shield with some sort of 'Requires Paper' limitation? Not sure how high of a limitation it would be, but my current guess is -40%.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paper, power