Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: How to Freeze Time

In Powers (p. 92), they give the multiplier for Control (Time) 5 as 30x. At Control (Time) 10 it would be x1000 according to GURPS math.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In Powers (p. 92), they give the multiplier for Control (Time) 5 as 30x. At Control (Time) 10 it would be x1000 according to GURPS math.
I'm not inclined to agree that's balanced. I assume that by "GURPS math" you're referring to the bonuses from taking extra time (p. B346), which gives X30 for a +5 bonus? A quirk, Methodical (Power-Ups 6 p. 19) does suggest that +6 is X60, but from there, I'd probably reduce the multiplication. I'd go with +7 being X100, +8 X200, +9 X400, and +10 X600.

In any case, while you can argue that Control Time gets multipliers like that for positive shifts, speeding people up, it's not going to do the same in reverse for slowing people down. That would use the Haste modifiers, where -9 would be the equivalent of only 10% time, thus forcing people to complete one second tasks in 9 seconds. Allowing a full time stop at 10 levels of Control Time would be unbalanced, and I wouldn't permit it.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

The standard GURPS progression of doubling is 2x, 4x, 8x, 15x, 30x, 60x, 120x, 250x, 500x, and 1000x. As for the multiplier, it is a bit like ATR with Super-Effort, though level 10 would represent 1000x as much time for a task instead of 100x as much time for a task. It is up to you how to do your games though, but there are a lot more abusive powers at 630 points than Control (Time) 10.

When it comes to taking less time for a task, the conversion reduces the skill penalty associated with taking less time (-1 skill for -10% time). At level 5, that would be fifty percent less time, meaning 2 actions per turn. At level 8, that would be eighty percent less time, meaning 5 actions per turn. At level 9, that would be ninety percent less time, meaning 9 actions per turn. At level 10, that would be one hundred percent less time, meaning infinite actions per turn (everyone is frozen in time compared to you as long as you stay within the area of effect). I prefer the multiplier at level 10 instead of the reducer because it is less abusive.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 06-13-2018 at 04:37 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
TGLS

The easiest way is to just buy an Affliction with Temporal Stasis (Powers 118) and a large enough Area Effect and sufficient Extended Duration, maybe selective area.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The standard GURPS progression of doubling is 2x, 4x, 8x, 15x, 30x, 60x, 120x, 250x, 500x, and 1000x.
Where is this "standard GURPS progression of doubling" described?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #16
Kelly Pedersen

Ignoring the question of which multiplier is appropriate, I wanted to point out that that's not how Control works in any case. Control, fundamentally, provides a bonus or penalty in a fairly broadly-applicable situation. The player and GM can then explain how that bonus is provided, but that's done after the fact, and the explanation won't be the same in all circumstances. So, with Control Time 10, you can give yourself a +10 bonus to complete a task. If you're doing something that would take a long time to complete, you can say that you're manipulating time so that you're working 1000 times as fast, justifying a +10 for taking extra time. But you can't extend that and say "I'm now moving 1000 times as fast all the time!". You couldn't justify taking 1000 attacks in combat before your enemy got to act once, for instance. That would be grossly unbalanced, compared to, say, Altered Time Rate (which would cost 8000 points, using Altered Time Rate 16 with Super-Effort).

In combat, Control Time 10 might speed you up, but any extra actions would be justified by things like Rapid Strike, or just attacking once and saying you're doing it so fast you can take -10 in deceptive attack. Conversely, if you're using it to penalize an enemy, you'd slow them down enough to give -10, but you can't justify freezing them with that - just slowing them down.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
lachimba

Martial Arts has bullet time.

Thats IIRC a character point per second.

If you are trying something like the Time Golem in Iron Council thats the stasis effect from GURPS Powers
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage design, power, time