Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #161
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Technical Solutions] Complete Guide to Tanking in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The huge problem I have with the "objection" is that's not a property of ER, that's a property of FP, which ER inherit from. VR inherits from HP, and is an analog of ER, not a descendant trait of ER.

(EDIT: OR if you're using a multiple-inheritance language, there's a third class: "Reserve", and VR is a descendent of HP and Reserve, while ER is a descendent of FP and Reserve. Either way, the core functionality of VR is defined by what HP does, not what ER does and therefore what FP does.)
Perhaps we can see IReserve as an Interface?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #162
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Reserve being (Independent Recovery; Doesn't affect Thresholds), with Energy Reserve adding (Source Specific); probably because Fatigue recovers faster than Hit Points do.

As a mild tangent from the current subthread: I've allowed players to purchase Energy Reserve (Fatigue) for their characters without any issues coming up; its' just not usable to fuel anything with a power source (as distinct from a power modifier). It is a useful trait when the campaign allows the various optional Extra Effort rules where a character can push themselves a lot further than others, but recover from the fatigue penalties faster than others without necessarily recovering their Fatigue Points any faster than others do (as I encourage the use of the Special Recharge limitation on Reserves).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #163
Bruno

Quote:
Certainly! I've just had my head down in Perl land where inheritance is more ... free wheeling.

("Wait, what do you mean I accidentally created a new class with a typo?")
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #164
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
As a mild tangent from the current subthread: I've allowed players to purchase Energy Reserve (Fatigue) for their characters without any issues coming up
I'm certain one of the DF books introduces something like this as a magic item (analogous to the Power Item -> Energy Reserve relationship) but I'm having trouble finding it.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #165
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Certainly! I've just had my head down in Perl land where inheritance is more ... free wheeling.

("Wait, what do you mean I accidentally created a new class with a typo?")
I certainly find multiple inheritances more intuitive, but I'm working/learning C#, so I'm not supposed to think that way. And real programmers keep telling me MI is real dangerous or something.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #166
Bruno

Quote:
I certainly find multiple inheritances more intuitive, but I'm working/learning C#, so I'm not supposed to think that way. And real programmers keep telling me MI is real dangerous or something.
Nothing seems quite like Perl's willingness to make anything into any object you want at any point during runtime, including rearranging object inheritance during runtime, and changing what kind of object something is at will, "just because".

Polymorphism is one thing, shapeshifting is quite another thank you. I don't need werewolf objects.

(On the other hand, perl doesn't have the Diamond Problem at all due to a precedence system)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #167
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The concern you raise appears to be that there's a mechanic for ER that would be a terrible, terrible idea to use for VR. That seems trivial to avoid...
Hmm... I seem to be having troubles with my written expression. That's not at all what I was saying in the post in this thread, nor in that earlier one I linked to. The possible issue I was noting was the assumption that Vitality Reserve does not have the built-in separation that Energy Reserve does. If you have an ER, it is not affected by things that drain FP, generally only being depleted by use. If you're being targeted by an enemy using an IA(fat), you can't decide to throw your ER in the way, nor can the enemy decide to drain it as a tactical choice. If VR was analogous to ER, no normal attacks would ever hit it, and it would only be depleted by conscious expenditure of the faux HP.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #168
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Hmm... I seem to be having troubles with my written expression. That's not at all what I was saying in the post in this thread, nor in that earlier one I linked to. The possible issue I was noting was the assumption that Vitality Reserve does not have the built-in separation that Energy Reserve does. If you have an ER, it is not affected by things that drain FP, generally only being depleted by use. If you're being targeted by an enemy using an IA(fat), you can't decide to throw your ER in the way, nor can the enemy decide to drain it as a tactical choice. If VR was analogous to ER, no normal attacks would ever hit it, and it would only be depleted by conscious expenditure of the faux HP.
ER inherits from Extra Fatigue and is Source Specific. VR inherits from Extra Hit Points and isn't Source Specific. I suspect the Source Specific bit added to ER and not added to VR is what accounts for that difference.

ER is forcibly linked to a Power Source as part of its' trait definition; VR's trait definition doesn't include such a linkage and doesn't include the requirement for conscious expenditure. Adding a requirement for a conscious expenditure would be a limitation and so provide a cost discount; VR with that requirement is less useful than VR without that requirement.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #169
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I have used it for an anime inspired character who had the ability, after being beaten to the pulp, to come back up, at 100% capabilities. It works beautifully, but it won't protect you from attacks that single handedly kill you. That's a feature, not a bug, in my book.
Unless you always walk around in the Alternate Form. After all, when you go unconscious or die, you revert to your normal form... which, with Non-Reciprocal Damage, isn't hurt at all. Of course, that Alternate Form will be dead and you'll lose the points on it, unless you have something else on it, like Unkillable. Probably want Regeneration to go along with the Reciprocal Rest, too...
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, combat rules, interdiction, tank, tanking, technical solutions