Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #481
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

LASER weapons used to kill mosquitoes. TL9 is here.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #482
William

File this one under "if you'd written this background for a PC, no one would believe you."

Jason Everman.

Bassist for Nirvana.

Kicked out, around the time they went big.

Bassist for Soundgarden.

Kicked out, around the time they went big.

Decided to drop the punk scene. Joined the Army.

Made the Rangers.

Made the Special Forces.

Served in Latin America, Iraq, Afghanistan, (CLASSIFIED), (CLASSIFIED), Asia, (CLASSIFIED).

Got a bookshelf full of medals. For stuff.

Survived, mustered out, got a philosophy degree.

Figures he'll become a bartender.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #483
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
"if you'd written this background for a PC, no one would believe you."
Oh, I dunno. "PCs battle evil around the world under cover of a rock band tour" is a not uncommon game premise. This guy would fit right in.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #484
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Oh, I dunno. "PCs battle evil around the world under cover of a rock band tour" is a not uncommon game premise. This guy would fit right in.
Game premise, heck. That's the star of an 80s cartoon. But what talking animal/vehicle would be his mascot?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #485
quarkstomper

The Clothing of the Future!

Twitter Dress Gives Youth a Voice Among Sweden's Political Bigwigs

LED's in the fabric allow her dress to act as a display for Twitter messages.

I've read about "Smart Suits" in futuristic speculations, although I'm not sure that connecting your wardrobe to Twitter counts as "Smart".
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #486
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Humans launch 'bicycle-powered' helicopter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=syJq10EQkog
Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #487
quarkstomper

Feds nab KKK member, accomplice for lethal x-ray plot

Quote:
Two New York state men have been charged in a bizarre plan to develop a mobile X-ray system that would be used from afar to silently kill people that they deemed "undesirable," federal officials said.
It seems this guy, a self-professed KKK member, had this Cunning Plan to build an X-ray device which would give selected targets lethal doses of radiation, using as plans a diagram for an x-ray machine he found on Wikipedia. Because, y'know, you can't just find this stuff in the World Book Encyclopedia.

Quote:
Crawford contacted two Jewish organizations in April 2012 for funding assistance of an "off the shelf" technology that could be used by Israel to defeat its enemies by killing them while the slept, according to the criminal complaint.
Yes. This klansman went to a synagogue to ask for funding to build a death ray to kill his enemies. At this point I'm waiting for someone to walk into a bar with a duck.

Well, things went badly. The synagogue contacted the FBI who then set up a nice sting operation and gave the guys a crate of old pinball machine parts and generally gave them enough rope to tie themseves up in a terrorism charge.

Now, granted this piece, The FBI's Fake Death Ray Attack on Andrew Cuomo, Debunked, argues that these guys never were a serious threat to anybody and that the Feds just found a couple idiots with grandiose schemes and pumped them up so that it looked like they were a creditable terror threat.

Which may be true. But still, man, what game potential!
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #488
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post

Now, granted this piece, The FBI's Fake Death Ray Attack on Andrew Cuomo, Debunked, argues that these guys never were a serious threat to anybody and that the Feds just found a couple idiots with grandiose schemes and pumped them up so that it looked like they were a creditable terror threat.

Which may be true. But still, man, what game potential!
It's absolutely true. The description of the device they were trying to build is absurd, and could not possibly have worked. however, if they'd somehow managed to get their hands on radioactive materials (Which is about as likely as their being struck by lightning while holding a winning powerball ticket), they could have killed themselves, and possibly their families, but no one else.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #489
William

I believe this qualifies as a dark magic ritual of high order.

Beautiful paintings, worth tens of millions of dollars, several of them over a hundred years old, are stolen from a museum in the Netherlands: Picasso, Monet, Matisse, Gauguin, and more. What did the thieves do?

They ensconced the paintings in an abandoned house, then buried them in a village cemetery for a month, and finally disinterred and burned them.

Somewhere a sorcerer of entropy or oblivion, or some related concept, got a mighty charge of energy for his work.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #490
Daigoro

US man Michael Boatwright found in Palm Springs motel awakens with amnesia, speaking only Swedish

Does well in the weirdness stakes, until halfway through the article it ladens us with the mundane fact that he used to live in Sweden. Up to that point, it was sounding like a reality quake.

Forensic expert for the Peru Six says he has evidence that could clear the young Australians
Standard political-legal kerfuffle, although the prosecution seems to be on very flimsy grounds. It gets interesting though, when we see that the prosecution seems to have been launched because the victim came to his brother and sister as a ghost in a dream.

Wimber Rodriguez Vilchez became convinced of the Australians' involvement after a dream in which his brother visited him.

"I went running to him, to embrace him, 'Lino my brother', and he said, 'Let me go, let me go, don't hold me, they killed me. I didn't want to die'."

He says his brother's ghost also visited their sister.

"Lino said he had been arguing with somebody. His hands were (moving out) and there was a tall man and a short man and a girl.

"After she said, 'my little brother, tell me, tell where did this happen?', and my brother said, 'nine plus six add it up, nine plus six'.

"And so we said, 'hey, it's in the 15th, in the 15th floor, they have killed Lino, let's go to the police and see how the investigation is going'."
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox