Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #21
copeab

Default Re: Small creatures grappling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post
Thanks to all!!
Now I can judge this and similar situations..
Now on to what you really wanted, a pack of demonic squirrels ...

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

Just moving through a cat-dense area while carrying food should require a DX roll to avoid tripping.
That's accurate. I've been around actual herds of cats . . . I have no difficulty at all believing that 12+ cats that had it in for a person could trip them to the ground. The implausible bit is cats cooperating for any purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post

I saw these this morning in the park. They were terrorizing a small dog. I'm not even joking.

Oh, and I saw others running around with onions (I have no idea where they found those . . .), chasing birds, and literally bouncing off the walls of a nearby building.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #23
geppo_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
well..giant rats, dire spiders, little gnawing goblins, assassin leeches...

my players are quite used to fight with firearms in a ranged firefight, now just for fun we try a brief dungeon crawl campaign and they are about to be surprised with the delights of (very) close combat!
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I saw these this morning in the park. They were terrorizing a small dog. I'm not even joking.
I recall some studies about jackals vs lions (both of which occur in packs, but which are significantly different in size), which determined that the general winner was whichever group had more total mass. This seems sensibly generalizable.
Quote:
Oh, and I saw others running around with onions (I have no idea where they found those . . .), chasing birds, and literally bouncing off the walls of a nearby building.
Assuming the onions weren't wild onions, probably someone's trash or compost pile? Squirrels are a pest.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #25
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I recall some studies about jackals vs lions (both of which occur in packs, but which are significantly different in size), which determined that the general winner was whichever group had more total mass. This seems sensibly generalizable.
I'm pretty sure that article, in Scientific American IIRC, spelled jackal "hyena".
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
I'm pretty sure that article, in Scientific American IIRC, spelled jackal "hyena".
Quite possible. My memory is pretty vague.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #27
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post
Basic rules, no dungeon grappling or similar..that is a normal human with ST10 grappling me gives me -4 DX, so 2 ST 5 (Equivalent to ST7) and size -3 gives me how much?
Ah OK, the basic rules don't vary the DX pen, but as pointed out the ganging up rules increase the grappling skill which makes it more likely the set DX penalty will occur.

Given the way the multiple opponents rules work (pg 392 at cited by Kromm) and how smaller grapplers can gang up, this compounds.

I think I'd make smaller* grapplers base their grapple skill off ST not DX that way the 9 house cats in Kromm's example would be grappling at 10+skill not 36+skill. So they'd have a reasonable chance of inflicting the penalty but not a an near automatic one

Thing is with grapple being DX based low ST high DX creatures get weird, at DX14+skill a single house cat has a pretty good change of inflicting a -4 DX penalty by itself on a norm ST10 DX10 human even though it weighs a fraction of the persons weight!

(there's also the point that a lot of our practical interactions with house cat come with a baseline of us not hurting them)

That said as Kromm points out just getting the initial grapple is only the start, lots of the things you want to do afterwards are down to ST and size.

*maybe set the threshold for this crossover at -2 or -3 SM difference.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-09-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #28
Prince Charon

Quote:
That's accurate. I've been around actual herds of cats . . . I have no difficulty at all believing that 12+ cats that had it in for a person could trip them to the ground. The implausible bit is cats cooperating for any purpose.
Mind control, maybe?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #29
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Just moving through a cat-dense area while carrying food should require a DX roll to avoid tripping.
Wouldn't that be like the roll to Evade when traveling through an occupied hex?

Except failing that is some weird "you don't pass" without consequence like tripping/bumping
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grappling