Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
VariousRen

Default [DF] Grappling with a stuck pick

I'm playing a halberdier in a DF style game right now, who uses a full sized (rather than a dueling) dwarven halberd as their weapon of choice. The full swing with the pick head of the halberd would unready the weapon, so I'm looking at ways to make that a less dangerous proposition.

In particular, I'm looking through the rules for pick heads getting stuck and pulling them out. A swung halberd would probably do enough damage to drop a normal human below 0 HP, so sticking someone while they're at reach 3 and then waiting until they pass out seems like a possible tactic. Unfortunately Martial Arts doesn't seem to say anything on the topic, and Basic treats stuck weapons very simply by saying you "Must either relinquish your weapon... or attempt a ST roll to free it." (pg. 405), no option for leaving it in an opponent even though the next paragraph discusses what the opponent can do if the weapon is still stuck in them.

Is there any reason to not allow a warrior to purposefully leave their weapon stuck in an enemy? Would it be reasonable to count this as a grapple and allow them to take down their opponent, or even pin them via the stuck weapon? I know technical grappling provides support for this, but our group is looking for something with a little less complexity for this.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: [DF] Grappling with a stuck pick

By RAW I don't know, in game I would rule that you can hang onto the weapon and use it as a handle.

If they want to free themselves while you are trying to stop them, they can either win a Quick Contest of ST or DX, their choice. If they win, they take the half damage from wrenching a pick out and are freed.

If you want to shove them over, I'd let you contest your ST against their ST or DX (their choice).
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
Is there any reason to not allow a warrior to purposefully leave their weapon stuck in an enemy? Would it be reasonable to count this as a grapple and allow them to take down their opponent, or even pin them via the stuck weapon? I know technical grappling provides support for this, but our group is looking for something with a little less complexity for this.
I imagine any body part impaled like this would be treated as effectively suffering from the Hook technique.

The problem with this is it makes the Hook technique (with its -5 penalty) almost completely obsolete.

How deeply the weapon is stuck in should be another factor.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
Would it be reasonable to count this as a grapple and allow them to take down their opponent, or even pin them via the stuck weapon? I know technical grappling provides support for this, but our group is looking for something with a little less complexity for this.
Treating a stuck weapon as both a grapple (and in TG I say you can do any move that includes a pure-ST default when you're doing something like this) as well as something that allows the equivalent of a "worry" (where you get to do extra damage from a bit each round without rolling to hit) would be the most rules-lite thing I could think of.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, grappling, halberd, martial arts, picks, stuck