Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #21
PK

Default Re: Gurps Vehicles / 4th. Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
fwiw, I'm pretty much already sold on a 4e Vehicles book for gearheads.
Great. That's what GURPS Vehicle Design will be.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #22
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
One thing I wish for the Spaceships system is a bit more granularity for in-between sizes (50 tons, 500 tons, etc), which I'd hope Vehicle Design gives us.
I ended up hacking together a solution to this that made me very happy. Spaceships can also be Light or Heavy for their SM. Light is 2/3 the mass, while Heavy is +50%.

Since nearly everything scales at 1-3-10, 1-2-5-10, or 1-1.5-2-3-5-7-10, I only had to write three tables and that covered nearly the whole system. Armor needed a few clarifications due to rounding. Weapons were surprisingly simple (same weapon classes, just more or fewer per system). In all other ways the ship is treated as a normal ship of its SM. These are purely design rules, and so don't change how the game works at the tabletop at all, and is 100% compatible with published designs.

So for a battletech style game where you have 20 to 100 ton size classes and finnicky design rules are part of the setting, default Spaceships gives you two size classes: 30 ton (SM+5) and 100 ton (SM +6). With Light and Heavy added, you have 20, 30, 45, 60, and 100 tons, which covers most of the bases and was close enough for me. I only use light and heavy when I want a lot of variety, like for snub fighters in star wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Great. That's what GURPS Vehicle Design will be.
Great! I think the decision to go with PDF so you can incorporate errata is the right one. I know you guys are allergic to kickstarter, but if the pdf is a success I'd love to contribute to one so you could do a hardcover print run a few months to a year later.

Knowing David Pulver, it will rock and I'd pay prior to publication... but doing it after the fact takes out the risk on both ends and turns it more into a preorder system, which is a little more conservative.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #23
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
Knowing David Pulver, it will rock and I'd pay prior to publication... but doing it after the fact takes out the risk on both ends and turns it more into a preorder system, which is a little more conservative.
Yeah, Kickstarter. I'd pitch in.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #24
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Well the issue it less money but more that this is a time consuming project. Even if he had enough money coming in and he didn't need to work on other projects that would only in all reality make the book come out slightly faster since even if he does have more free days to work on it, that doesn't mean he'll be able to work on the book 24/7 without major burn out. That and there's also the fact he's also been heavily play testing this book and no matter how much time he has, it's not going to make the other play testers do their jobs faster or change how often he's going to have to make corrections. So while I'd wish it was that simple the reality is that it can't be fished until the bugs are ironed out and then edited and all the art work done and cleared for it and so on.

Of course the book I really want to see is GURPS Armory. I'd pay David or Han's a crispy High-Five just to have 15min to look over the manuscript.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #25
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Well the issue it less money but more that this is a time consuming project. Even if he had enough money coming in and he didn't need to work on other projects...
We know. Re-read our posts. We're specifically talking about a kick starter for a hard cover printing once the book is done and already released as a PDF.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #26
The_Ryujin

Quote:
We know. Re-read our posts. We're specifically talking about a kick starter for a hard cover printing once the book is done and already released as a PDF.
Ah, my bad.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #27
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
E-book. We expect that such a long, crunchy, and complex book will have a wave or two of minor errata, so it's important that we be able to update it in real time for at least the first several months. As such, even we expected demand to be much higher than it seems to be, we'd still want to keep it digital-only at first.

After that, it'll be treated like any other GURPS e-book: if it sells especially well, it'll get added to our internal list of "books that might be worth a POD run." I realize that we haven't done such a run in a long while, but that doesn't mean we consider that option closed.
Sounds excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Yep, I'd happily buy the PDF and then also kickstart for a hard copy (or POD of course).

I image this is book that I will be thumbing through a lot, so it will actually suit me to have it in both formats.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #28
Kissamies

The 3rd edition Vehicles is one of my more worn out GURPS books. I'd definitely pitch in for a crowdfunding campaign for a physical copy after PDF release, which I'd probably buy too. My problem tends to be that I don't learn of such campaigns in time, though.
Kissamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #29
Anthony

Honestly, vehicles is not one of the books I ever felt the need to work on offline, so it wouldn't be a high priority for being hardcopy. A spreadsheet or program would be nifty though.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #30
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissamies View Post
The 3rd edition Vehicles is one of my more worn out GURPS books. I'd definitely pitch in for a crowdfunding campaign for a physical copy after PDF release, which I'd probably buy too. My problem tends to be that I don't learn of such campaigns in time, though.
The two best ways to know about SJ Games-related projects, from upcoming new releases to Kickstarter campaigns, are (1) being a regular on these forums, where we always promote such things, and (2) signing up for a Daily Illuminator email subscription, assuming you check your email regularly. If not, there are other options; click on any DI entry and then just look to the right.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vehicles