Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #21
Plane

Default Re: Bomb-in-head disadvantage?

The thing is... bomb-in-head is a lot like being hit with something like Innate Attack (Triggered Delay +50%) so in theory having any kind of triggered attack languishing on you could be seen as affecting point value (or effective point value).

Much like during the time you're under the effect of mind control (especially if it's preset for a long duration via Maintain Spell or made an indefinite Ensorcel) you might be seen as having point value altered effectively by that spell.

Or if you were forced to take on some animal form.

Character point values aren't often adjusted on the fly as characters get attacked, even though many things (such as unhealable damage) could easily represent a long-term disadvantage which is pretty hard to get rid of.

Corruption in Horror is an example that even stuff which can go away on its own can be worth a disadvantage. So you could in theory represent damage you've suffered (or damage you COULD suffer, in case of Delay, Triggered) as a sort of "ephemeral disadvantage" which might be gotten rid of.

A triggerable high-damage innate attack could morph into the disadvantage "Corpse" the way Corruption could morph into "bloodthirsty" so they're not that far apart.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #22
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Nah, just make sure the cranial bomb it large enough to take out nearby targets and then use them as an assassin. Without telling them that's your plan, of course.
For added fun crunch, remodel the Skull location as pre-made frangible shrapnel. It becomes hard but brittle extra DR.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
thalcos

You guys are great -- didn't think this would be such a robust discussion :-)

I think I'm going to keep it simple and go with a straight-up Extremely Hazardous, Involuntary Duty. While this doesn't capture some of the additional inherent dangers (someone steals the "button") that would probably warrant another -5 points or so, the reality is the bomb is 99% likely to never go off. As in, it's no more dangerous than the plot where the evil NPC tells you he has a sniper in the building aiming at you... unless you follow his orders.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #24
dcarson

Just because they can blow your head off for any disagreement doesn't mean they will. If it isn't mission critical but you feel strongly enough about it risk getting killed they picked you for a reason and replacing you has a cost.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:19 PM   #25
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalcos View Post
You guys are great -- didn't think this would be such a robust discussion :-)

I think I'm going to keep it simple and go with a straight-up Extremely Hazardous, Involuntary Duty. While this doesn't capture some of the additional inherent dangers (someone steals the "button") that would probably warrant another -5 points or so, the reality is the bomb is 99% likely to never go off. As in, it's no more dangerous than the plot where the evil NPC tells you he has a sniper in the building aiming at you... unless you follow his orders.
I tend to think of it as just making it easier for someone to control or kill you. As such, on top of Extremely Hazardous, Involuntary Duty, it might at least be worth a Quirk.

No, really, it sounds like a nice bit of detail that blends a Social Quirk with a Physical Quirk. Of course, the idea is the player taking it is going to let it reflect in their role-playing, and/or the GM in how things unfold. If there's a more serious risk of complications, then maybe it is worth a bit more because - again - you're just extra easy to manipulate. The same is true if accidental detonations are a bit more possible.

Oh, and for settings where a Cortex Bomb (just using the 3e term for consistency) is likely to be a thing... the PC should be as or more concerned about their fellow PC's and allied (lower-case "a") NPC's gaining control of the bomb, shouldn't they? ;) Anyone familiar with the actual comic book Suicide Squad's lore? Various "mastermind" types seem so likely to let the the-powers-that-be in the government assemble a Suicide Squad, then waltz in, seize control of the implants, and waltz right back out with their own loyal-upon-penalty-of-death supervillain team. The really good-at-being-bad ones can probably do it without the government even catching on that is what happened, and with little-to-no chance of someone else regaining control...
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 08-25-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #26
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
No, really, it sounds like a nice bit of detail that blends a Social Quirk with a Physical Quirk. Of course, the idea is the player taking it is going to let it reflect in their role-playing, and/or the GM in how things unfold.
There might also be mental traits involved with stuff like:

1) I actually know there is a bomb in my head
2) I know who put the bomb there (and thus might be able to remove it)
3) I know who has the detonator switch for the bomb
4) I know how the detonator works, like if it works through radio signals that might be blocked, or through some kind of magical activation that bypasses tech barriers but not magic ones.
These come with upsides ("I might find a way out of my dilemma" .. "I might avoid a situation of getting killed through obedience") and downsides ("I am compelled to be servile against the guy who could kill me... I suffer fear penalties when opposing him")
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delay, triggered delay