Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #261
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Hm... I could bust his legs but I don't have the equipment to cut off like that. He definitely can't be reasoned with, right?"
"a broken limb will suffice as well. though he will heal from that faster. You possibly could reason with him, but if you convince him, the emperor is liable override his decision. The undead heroes must obey the emperor's commands. It is part of how they were built."


Quote:
"So he'll have to be rendered dormant to fix his mind?"
"It will happen as you fix his mind, unless the fix is very small... in which case he should be changed without needing to be dormant."



Quote:

Right, so I guess this leaves:
1) Don't get killed on my way out of the caves
2) Figure out how to get to the capital
3) Figure out how to get into Maximus's tomb
4) Move the blocks into the right place without alerting anyone.
5) K.O. the Emperor so his mind's refreshes (?)
Number 4 will accomplish #5 one way or the other.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious leaves the city entirely to seek out a secluded spot to take their hybrid Angel/Demonspawn hybrid form and checks their reference materials to figure out how to get to the caves.

You'll need to get to the appropriate temple-gate, which is about 1,000 miles away. You know the direction, and you have been helpfully pointed to some commercial flights.



The gate it-self is currently under military administration: you'll need to get aboard a millitary train or sneak through the tunnel on foot to pass. The zone on both sides has a strict curfew and will require faking documents. There is a large city (~5 million total) on both sides though, which will help with concealment. Once through the gate, its about 100 miles to the caves.



Quote:
Genesis - Angel/Demon hybrid form
Quote:
Striking ST +4 [20]
lets bump this up to +5, it will make the math easier, and it matches a demon upgrade option.


Quote:
Universal Weapon - (Can duplicate just about any muscle powered weapon)
Ok, this is a little over the top. Could you give me a visual description? I think you want it changing shape into any weapon you want, and I'm going to say no to that-- that's gear, not an alternate form, and I just don't see that intuitively coming out of a angel/demon hybrid. A hidden natural weapon with a single versatile form is fine.


Also, what are you doing with the sword you were given? does it stay as part of your form?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #262
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"a broken limb will suffice as well. though he will heal from that faster. You possibly could reason with him, but if you convince him, the emperor is liable override his decision. The undead heroes must obey the emperor's commands. It is part of how they were built."
"So I guess it would be pointless to attempt to disguise myself as Kunnifax?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"It will happen as you fix his mind, unless the fix is very small... in which case he should be changed without needing to be dormant."
"Are these stones the same size as the ones in the tomb?"
If they are, I'll give on a test lift to see how heavy they are.

"Is there a spare key for the metal gate out front?"
If there isn't, I'll check the gate to see if it can be opened from this side.

I'll also ask about what tactics Kunnifax will use, and if Holo-Maximus doesn't know I'll check the research materials.

Then I'll try contacting Vassarious to explain what's going down (i.e. that the emperor has had his mind altered, that we need to rearrange the stones in the tomb, and that the Emperor is sending his undead heroes after us and they can only be dealt with by crippling their limbs).

So, assuming I can't disguise myself as Kunnifax, how difficult would it be to sneak past Imperial lines?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #263
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"So I guess it would be pointless to attempt to disguise myself as Kunnifax?"

"That would depend on whom you wish to deceive. Only the undying heroes would spot the fraud instantly. The undying heroes have great freedom of movement and respect. Maximus could call and inform that you had disguised as him... but he seems to not be using his mortal forces against you, only the undying heroes"


Quote:
"Are these stones the same size as the ones in the tomb?"
If they are, I'll give on a test lift to see how heavy they are.
They are exactly half-scale: you'd need to lift eight of them to get the right feel. Halcyone has ST 20, and thus a basic lift of 80. The individual blocks aren't bad here, but you think you might need help for some of the bigger ones on the real thing. Though the hologram Maximus thinks most of the moves will be small blocks... but he's not sure.


Quote:
"Is there a spare key for the metal gate out front?"
If there isn't, I'll check the gate to see if it can be opened from this side.
Maximus: "Not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't know. I spend most of my time looking at the greater world, not maintaining my temple"


Quote:
I'll also ask about what tactics Kunnifax will use, and if Holo-Maximus doesn't know I'll check the research materials.
Maximus: "Its been a while since the undying heroes have been active, and I don't know what their intent is. Kunnifax was chosen for being able to operate in enemy territory, he may disguise himself or try to set an ambush for you. He can shoot firearms, but is better in hand to hand combat.


Quote:
Then I'll try contacting Vassarious to explain what's going down (i.e. that the emperor has had his mind altered, that we need to rearrange the stones in the tomb, and that the Emperor is sending his undead heroes after us and they can only be dealt with by crippling their limbs).
Vassarious, we can have this call as you are looking up the way to the caves



Quote:
So, assuming I can't disguise myself as Kunnifax, how difficult would it be to sneak past Imperial lines?

Obstacles:
  • You need to get past the manual and automated guard systems. These include lookouts, and night vision and infrared cameras.
  • You need to make it through the enemy troops ready on the front line. This area will have a number of lesser guarded checkpoints.
  • You need to make it to the temple gate, which is 100 miles from the front lines, and in the middle of a city of about 5 million people (about half on each side of the temple gate)
  • You need to make it through the temple gate. The military controls the train through here. After that point, military control relaxes.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #264
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Maximus: "Not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't know. I spend most of my time looking at the greater world, not maintaining my temple"
Well I'll go looking for that key while I'm waiting for Vas to pick up the pen-phone.
Quote:
[142] 21-11-19 19:24:49 GMT
Perception
3d6 <= 16
5 + 1 + 3 = 9 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #265
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You'll need to get to the appropriate temple-gate, which is about 1,000 miles away. You know the direction, and you have been helpfully pointed to some commercial flights.
It would take more than 10 hours to fly there under the air elemental's power - so slipping on to a flight and stowing away is a good plan.

Quote:
The gate it-self is currently under military administration: you'll need to get aboard a millitary train or sneak through the tunnel on foot to pass. The zone on both sides has a strict curfew and will require faking documents. There is a large city (~5 million total) on both sides though, which will help with concealment. Once through the gate, its about 100 miles to the caves.
Can't Vassarious just slip past stealthily in air form?


Quote:
lets bump this up to +5, it will make the math easier, and it matches a demon upgrade option.
It's the value from the template I'm copying, but okay.

Quote:
Ok, this is a little over the top. Could you give me a visual description? I think you want it changing shape into any weapon you want, and I'm going to say no to that-- that's gear, not an alternate form, and I just don't see that intuitively coming out of a angel/demon hybrid. A hidden natural weapon with a single versatile form is fine.
let's call it a kusarigama, bladed hands, folding bow and shuriken, that should cover it. The weapons can be present and the build lets him pretend to fast draw on command.
Quote:
Also, what are you doing with the sword you were given? does it stay as part of your form?
Might as well take it out and have it on their hip...


So after taking the pen phone call, Vassarious will pick a flight, go back to air elemental form to sneak aboard, and stow away...



But first...

"Hello, Halcyone... I hope you are having a better time of this than I"

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 11-20-2021 at 03:32 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #266
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Hello, Halcyone... I hope you are having a better time of this than I"
"Well unless you have worse than 'in a dark cave where an immortal guy is either coming to kill you', then no I guess."

"There's a, um, holographic spirit thing at a temple in the Caves of Calthyone. This is the shard of Maximus that told us to come to the caves. Holo-Maximus has explained things"

"Basically, the stones in the tomb you visited earlier control Maximus's mind, and somebody moved the stones to the wrong place. All we need to do to fix him is to move the stones back into the place their supposed to be. I know how the stones are to be laid out, and I've got pictures so I don't think it's strictly necessary for you to visit the caves."

"Maximus is sending his undying heroes after us to kill us. They can only be stopped temporarily, and they can only be stopped by maiming them, like by cutting off a limb."

I'll also ask Holo-Haximus if he knows who's after Vassarious and relay that information too.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #267
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Well unless you have worse than 'in a dark cave where an immortal guy is either coming to kill you', then no I guess."
"I was ambushed at the capitol and took some fire while vulnerable and I doubt I have accomplished the goal of starting a civilian investigation."
Quote:
"There's a, um, holographic spirit thing at a temple in the Caves of Calthyone. This is the shard of Maximus that told us to come to the caves. Holo-Maximus has explained things"

"Basically, the stones in the tomb you visited earlier control Maximus's mind, and somebody moved the stones to the wrong place. All we need to do to fix him is to move the stones back into the place their supposed to be. I know how the stones are to be laid out, and I've got pictures so I don't think it's strictly necessary for you to visit the caves."
That's fantastic! If you know the pattern, it's probably best if you come to me and we can re-infiltrate the temple together. Can I do anything on this side to support your efforts? Perhaps set up a change of identity? I may be able to hack some of their systems. perhaps get you listed as missing in action from the imperial side."

Quote:
"Maximus is sending his undying heroes after us to kill us. They can only be stopped temporarily, and they can only be stopped by maiming them, like by cutting off a limb."
Vassarious draws the flaming sword and considers it and says,

"I'll have to keep that in mind."
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #268
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
That's fantastic! If you know the pattern, it's probably best if you come to me and we can re-infiltrate the temple together. Can I do anything on this side to support your efforts? Perhaps set up a change of identity? I may be able to hack some of their systems. perhaps get you listed as missing in action from the imperial side."
"Setting up a change of identity would be appreciated. I don't know if getting listed as missing would be all that helpful. The emperor isn't using his mortal forces, at least not yet, and even if he did I think the being marked as missing would only draw attention to someone infiltrating their systems."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #269
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Can't Vassarious just slip past stealthily in air form?
Probably, yes.


Quote:
It's the value from the template I'm copying, but okay.
which?

Quote:
let's call it a kusarigama, bladed hands, folding bow and shuriken, that should cover it. The weapons can be present and the build lets him pretend to fast draw on command.

Might as well take it out and have it on their hip...
So a winged Angelish creature armed to the teeth is hanging out in a stand of trees talking to his octopus friend with a pen. Awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll also ask Holo-Haximus if he knows who's after Vassarious and relay that information too.
"Retifurus is chasing your friend. He achieved fame as a detective, and he's one of the youngest of the immortals... only about 500 years old."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #270
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Spoiler:  


"A diplomatic envoy? A soldier at the end of their rotation? What role suits you? "


Vassarious ponders what the most common and least scrutinized kind of crossings back to through the portal.

"It's likely easier to steal an identity for you than to create one... can you change your appearance based on a photograph if I can locate a likely candidate?"
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.