Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
Taneli

Default International Shipping/Girl Genius

Dreading the S&H costs to Finland.

OTOH, if it is "Physical goods only to US" then I don't have to worry as I bought the pdf from WH23 already :)

If it's the latter case, I hope the actual book does come to my FLGS (they're really nice!) eventually. :)
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
Prime Evil

Default Re: Girl Genius Kickstarter Campaign

Even though the shipping costs to Australia will be nasty, I want a copy or two anyway!
Prime Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The game is not scheduled for a distribution release. Direct only is the current plan.
I hope this means that you'll offer international shipping on the physical product in the Kickstarter!
Old 10-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
Taneli

Sadly the shipping to EU will be from the UK which will probably be a hot mess for another few years at least.

Looks like I'll have to skip this then, I've given myself the luxury of not ordering anything via the UK untill they get their adult pants back on. :(

Luckily I got the pdf from the WH23 pre-release :)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Paulon

Sadly there seems to be no shipping option to New Zealand or Australia.
Paulon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulon View Post
Sadly there seems to be no shipping option to New Zealand or Australia.
I am in the same boat here (no pun intended). I bought the PDF already so there is option for me to join this kickstarter.

Oh, well, let's wait for the next project then.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Paulon

I got a reply in the Kickstarter comments about the lack of shipping to Australia and New Zealand.

Quote:
Did you know that Australia is currently refusing some USPS shipments from the USA? No explanation as to why.
Thinking about it, this answer puzzles me greatly.

Because international shipping is from the United Kingdom, not the United States. Unless the US conquered England without anyone else noticing, it's the Royal Mail not the US Postal Service doing the shipping. England, Australia, and New Zealand are all separate countries, not part of the United States, so why would a shipping issue with an internal American service block international shipping between other non-US countries?

I'm no expert on international shipping, so could someone at SJGames please clarify how this peculiarity works?

FWIW, I can't speak of what Australia is doing WRT postage from the USPS, but apparently the issue with NZ is from the USPS end. USPS notice of suspension
Paulon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:55 AM   #8
Willy

While itīs just a side note this may explain a bit. After Brexit GB has several proublems in vital sectors, from shortage in gas station, not enough nurses, empty shelfs in the supermarkets up to and including severe problems in the whole transport sector generally, and since last week even problems to get enough workers to run the airports and harbors properly. Remember we have the time before christmas which is often straining the supply chains and had not enough ships and cargo containers.

Another member in this threat wrote he wouldnīt buy anything what has to be shipped from GB until the brits have there adult pants on ( again ). That doesnīt seem to happen soon, last news was GB threatened to break one sided another agreement with the EU. The EU comission answered, after making a offer to avoid this, saying literally "we can play hardball too". That doesnīt sound as if problems are solved in a short time.

I censor myself for the rest of this comment because itīs to political for this forum.

I personally think SJG should better look out for another nation to handle international shipping, mutual language and history are great, but it doesnīt help if you donīt get your stuff delivered.

Last edited by Willy; 10-21-2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling error
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:30 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulon View Post
Because international shipping is from the United Kingdom, not the United States. Unless the US conquered England without anyone else noticing, it's the Royal Mail not the US Postal Service doing the shipping. England, Australia, and New Zealand are all separate countries, not part of the United States, so why would a shipping issue with an internal American service block international shipping between other non-US countries?
Australia has demonstrated they will block packages from other nations. (Added: In fairness, this shipping issue is potentially not a problem, but we are being cautious. As with all global shipping, the specifics of the situation are worth investigating if you want to know why some packages are being blocked from shipment between the US and Australia. Please see Farmer's post, below, for a very detailed explanation of the current issues. Thank you!) Since we cannot guarantee that the problem won't extend to other nations, and so that we don't commit to something that is potentially even more disastrous and frustrating than Canada, EU, and UK shipping, we find it safest to eliminate Australia from the campaign.

International shipping is a complete and total nightmare these days. The hoops we have to jump through for this project simply reinforce that offering international shipping in crowdfunding campaigns is a terrible idea that potentially costs more money than it earns.

Just to ship from the UK is requiring UK VAT registration, which is far more intrusive and annoying than you can imagine.

Ultimately, as we have stated before, international shipping isn't easy.

Last edited by philreed; 10-21-2021 at 04:20 AM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:43 AM   #10
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Australia has demonstrated they will block packages from other nations. Since we cannot guarantee that the problem won't extend to other nations, and so that we don't commit to something that is potentially even more disastrous and frustrating than Canada, EU, and UK shipping, we find it safest to eliminate Australia from the campaign.
To be clear, Australia isn't blocking packages. The issue is that the USPS can't secure transport from the US to Australia, resulting in items being returned to sender because they become undeliverable. This is because there's very limited shipping from the US to Australia (or return) and there are very, very limited flights as Australia's international border is still mostly closed (though that is set to change as we reach 70% and then 80%+ double vaccination rates in the population - already achieved in a number of states, as a national figure it's a couple of weeks away for 70% and 80% by early December).

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cons...01-p58wb8.html

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/2...ost-suspended/

So whilst I understand the frustrations and concern, it would be helpful to be accurate regarding the reasons rather than suggesting Australia is blocking shipments from other countries. Once Australia's borders start to reopen (starting 1 November, more fully by early December) and travel resumes, international flights between the US and Australia will resume more regularly and the mail situation will improve and start to return to normal.

Flights and shipping from Asia are more prevelant and still flowing quite well, and the more expensive services are still available from all locations (albeit potentially not suitable for this particular requirement).
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote