Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
SynnerSaint

Default A few questions on magic...

Wands (specfically Wands of Healing) - Does the caster have to touch the subject, ie. does he have to make a hit roll during combat (preusmably the target will be willing to be healed and not defend!)

Area Spells (specfically the various Wall of XXXX spells) - All area spells seem to be cast in a circle but what if you want to block a corridor with a wall of lightning? Can you cast the spell in a straight line? What would the mana cost be? Divide the length you want to stretch by 2*pi?

Mana Damper advantage - Assuming you have the advantage with a radius so it can effect people around you, how would it work in relation to duration spells that are already on (eg. Armour or Wall of XXXXX or Fog)? eg. You walk up to the enemy wizard does his Fire Armour fizzle out so you can then hit him safely?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
SynnerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: A few questions on magic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynnerSaint View Post
Wands (specfically Wands of Healing) - Does the caster have to touch the subject, ie. does he have to make a hit roll during combat (preusmably the target will be willing to be healed and not defend!)
That might be an unreasonable presumption. Combat is confusing and trying to touch a combatant with a stick in the middle of it is a good way to get stabbed. And yes, the description does say that the caster has to touch the subject.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
SynnerSaint

LOL I see your 'point' (Sorry!), I might give players a perception check to notive that is their friend with a wand of healing poking them!
SynnerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Wands (specifically Wands of Healing) - Does the caster have to touch the subject, ie. does he have to make a hit roll during combat (presumably the target will be willing to be healed and not defend!)
Yes, and the target is likely to defend and may even attack back if they don't notice it is a friend before they stick their sword through its' chest.

Quote:
Mana Damper advantage - Assuming you have the advantage with a radius so it can effect people around you, how would it work in relation to duration spells that are already on (eg. Armour or Wall of XXXXX or Fog)? eg. You walk up to the enemy wizard does his Fire Armour fizzle out so you can then hit him safely?
Yes, it suppresses existing magic (assuming that specific magic is dependent on ambient mana; not all magic is).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Area Spells (specfically the various Wall of XXXX spells) - All area spells seem to be cast in a circle but what if you want to block a corridor with a wall of lightning? Can you cast the spell in a straight line? What would the mana cost be? Divide the length you want to stretch by 2*pi?
The circle with radius X is the _largest_ area you can affect with a given Area Spell. You can affect a smaller area if you so desire.

So suppose you cast Create Fire with 2x base cost. You can affect a 7 hex pseudo-circle or you can affect only 3 hexes in a row to make a "wall" or you can even leave out specific hexes.

You could leave the center hex of that Create Fire non-firey so you could stand in it and set only the 6 hexes around it on fire. Then you have a "circle of fire" but it's all still done with just Create Fire.

Lines, hollow circles, arcs, whatever. As long as it fites inside the maximum pseudo-circle you can create with the Area Spell in question, it's legal.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Lines, hollow circles, arcs, whatever. As long as it fites inside the maximum pseudo-circle you can create with the Area Spell in question, it's legal.
There could be a Perk (specialized per spell, and maybe only applicable on "Wall of" spells) that allows the caster to "stretch" the area into a straight line, 1 hex wide and filling hexes equivalent to the Area he's paying for. For example, if he spends 8 energy for a Wall of Wind with a radius of 4 hexes, he could stretch it out to be 37 yards long.

Or if that seems too extreme, the perk might just double the max length of the Wall, if it's only 1 hex wide in a straight line; an Area 4 spell would have a diameter of 7 hexes, so the Perk would double that to 14.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Or if that seems too extreme, the perk might just double the max length of the Wall, if it's only 1 hex wide in a straight line; an Area 4 spell would have a diameter of 7 hexes, so the Perk would double that to 14.
Both seem too extreme to me. You're (at a minimum) effectively halving energy cost for 1 pt.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

Quote:
There could be a Perk (specialized per spell, and maybe only applicable on "Wall of" spells) that allows the caster to "stretch" the area into a straight line, 1 hex wide and filling hexes equivalent to the Area he's paying for. For example, if he spends 8 energy for a Wall of Wind with a radius of 4 hexes, he could stretch it out to be 37 yards long.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that is a perk in Thaumatology.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure that is a perk in Thaumatology.
I thought so too, but the only thing I could find related to Area spells was Area Mastery, which lets the caster change the affected hexes after the spell has been cast.

In regards to it being overpowered, maybe so. It should probably be modeled after the Wall enhancement (B109). This turns an Area Effect power into a straight line with a length of 3 yards per yard of radius. For a spell, this gives roughly +50% the length for the same energy cost.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
I thought so too, but the only thing I could find related to Area spells was Area Mastery, which lets the caster change the affected hexes after the spell has been cast.

In regards to it being overpowered, maybe so. It should probably be modeled after the Wall enhancement (B109). This turns an Area Effect power into a straight line with a length of 3 yards per yard of radius. For a spell, this gives roughly +50% the length for the same energy cost.
And that can be covered by a perk and buying off the Technique for adding Wall onto the spell.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area, damper, magic, wand