Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Unusual diet vs. Dependency.

Is there any guide as to when a character who requires something other than normal food to survive (or stay active, in the case of some machines and probably various supernatural creatures) should have Doesn't Eat or Drink plus a Dependency on whatever their fuel (or whatever) is or a feature which means they consume something other than food (like the one in the Machine meta-trait) plus (optionally) some combination of Restricted Diet, Reduced Consumption, Universal Digestion and Increased Consumption to reflect the rarity of their power source and the amount they need to consume?

Incidentally, looking for examples I noticed that the Vampire template in the Basis Set apparently needs to eat normal food in addition to drinking blood to fend off it's Draining and the one in Fantasy not only seems to need normal food but doesn't need to drink blood at all (except to heal injuries).
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Unusual diet vs. Dependency.

Dependancy induces HP damage, starvation does FP damage. Starvation is based on missed meals, a Daily dependancy does damage every hour.

The Dependancy basically sends you into a death spiral, starvation is a very slow wasting.

The vampires in both books eat blood. They don't need "Doesn't eat or drink"... and I'd say as a GM that Restricted Diet on top of Draining or Dependancy is double dipping for points.

EDIT: Draining is more like Starvation than Dependancy, it's a bit of a compromise position between the two.

Last edited by Bruno; 03-31-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
...and the one in Fantasy not only seems to need normal food but doesn't need to drink blood at all (except to heal injuries).
I remember reading that that was intentional, to justify all those vampires sitting around in dungeons/crypts for decades or centuries, waiting for adventurers.

I get confused by which traits to use, too, by the way. Food rarity, meal frequency/length of time you can go without, frequency and type of damage from abstinence, how quickly and under what conditions you recover from same once you do get some, space/weight that provisions and the stuff to prepare them take up in life support... pretty complicated if you let it be. I'd just use whatever's closest to concept, or make something up, but I understand people wanting to go by the book as much as possible.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 03-31-2009 at 05:10 PM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
transmetahuman

One thing I just thought of (and IDHMBWM, nor did I get Vehicles) - can vehicles tank up on meals? Do they just treat them as cargo? Or do they need something like an adaptation of Oxygen Storage from Doesn't Breathe?
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism
Is there any guide as to when a character who requires something other than normal food to survive (or stay active, in the case of some machines and probably various supernatural creatures) should have Doesn't Eat or Drink plus a Dependency on whatever their fuel (or whatever) is or a feature which means they consume something other than food (like the one in the Machine meta-trait) plus (optionally) some combination of Restricted Diet, Reduced Consumption, Universal Digestion and Increased Consumption to reflect the rarity of their power source and the amount they need to consume?
I'd say this is a case of the guide being 'how you want it to be', selecting and tailoring the attributes to suit that.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
One thing I just thought of (and IDHMBWM, nor did I get Vehicles) - can vehicles tank up on meals? Do they just treat them as cargo? Or do they need something like an adaptation of Oxygen Storage from Doesn't Breathe?
In 3e Vehicles, fuel weight was calculated and counted against vehicle performance.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
CattyNebulart

In 4e I would say vehicles can carry spare fuel the same way that people can carry rations. I.E. Yes, treat them as cargo.
CattyNebulart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Dependancy induces HP damage, starvation does FP damage. Starvation is based on missed meals, a Daily dependancy does damage every hour.

The Dependancy basically sends you into a death spiral, starvation is a very slow wasting.
This was the sort of succinct advice that helped me decide what to use for my Gargoyle template. Decide whether a lack of the substance causes rapid injury, or weakness and slow starvation.

However, where does that leave requirements that have other detriments if missed? Say that a supernatural being has a food requirement, but going without food does not cause HP loss and will never cause death, either by starvation or by HP loss? Instead, going without food causes the loss of certain Advantages or causes a Disadvantage, such as reducing ST or HT or FP, causing Unfit or Very Unfit, or just making the being "run down" and become temporarily weak or inactive, the way a car turns off if it runs out of gas. Say the being can live indefinately without this food or substance, but without this stuff they don't function at their full potential -- they get weak, or Unfit, or tired, or disoriented, or lose their magical abilities or Advantages, or acquire some Disadvantage.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Off the top of my head that sounds like doesn't eat/drink 10 pt. followed with a pact limitation of eating -10% for all such advantages.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
lugaid

Default Re: Free 30-days keto meal plan ready to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenGer View Post
I've been searching for a quick keto meal plan for a month, so I don't have to count calories by myself and don't have to come up with a suitable recipe out of a huge number of products.
This one is easy and fast - a one-month ready-made plan! Perfect menu, everyone will love it. And most importantly - you can download it for free right now: (snip)
I'm not really conversant in keto restrictions, is blood drinking on the keto-approved list?
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote