Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Retro-modern armour for alternate timelines

So when browsing the topic "Plate armor thicknesses", the following idea occurred to me: Take a 17th-century/1600s breastplate design, buff it up with modern armour steel (70 DR/inch?), and use a kevlar vest as the gambeson.

At 0.35 inches, the armour would have 24 DR, enough to stop a 7d(1) bullet half the time. Any bullet that got through the 24 DR, would then have to overcome the kevlar with its remaining damage.

In the Basic Set, a Tactical Vest is listed as 12/5, with the 12 applying against piercing and cutting, and the 5 applying against "everything else."

Against an Armour-Piercing Hardcore (APHC) 7d(2) bullet, this would be enough to drop the bullet to "survivable", with an average of 6.5 damage after armour.

Even if bullets are given (2) against any armour not designed to stop a bullet, 12 extra DR (from the modern armour steel breastplate) would have some use.

As to whether this is practical or not, I don't know; while this video shows 1 inch of armour steel, it does seem to indicate that 0.35 inches of armour steel would not be useless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtopxCjs518
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Retro-modern armour for alternate timelines

A level III steel plate is not dramatically different from a breastplate, they're generally 1/4" (6.3mm).
Old 04-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A level III steel plate is not dramatically different from a breastplate, they're generally 1/4" (6.3mm).
Unfortunately, I don't know what "level III steel plate" is.

Assume my level of armour knowledge is "watching videos by Lindy Beige, Scholagladatoria, Skallagrim, et al, and Demolition Ranch on Youtube." and you won't be far off. ;)

Edit: If level III steel plate is listed in low-tech, I'm still chewing my way through the tech books.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:41 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know what "level III steel plate" is.
It's a steel plate rated as NIJ level III bulletproof armor. For example https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...ody-armor.html
Old 04-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
It's a steel plate rated as NIJ level III bulletproof armor. For example https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...ody-armor.html
Ah! I wasn't even aware that steel body armour was a thing still. Tank armour, warship armour, etc., obviously yes. Steel body armour? Thought that died somewhere around the 1800s.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:02 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Ah! I wasn't even aware that steel body armour was a thing still. Tank armour, warship armour, etc., obviously yes. Steel body armour? Thought that died somewhere around the 1800s.
Note that it costs $65. It's not the best performant armor, but hard to beat the price.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Note that it costs $65. It's not the best performant armor, but hard to beat the price.
It's surprising how few fantasy novels really spend any time on the logistics of adventuring.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:46 AM   #8
dcarson

Quote:
Most bulletproof vest have a pocket that you can add a plate to to increase the protection. Special ceramic is is one kind, metal is another.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:51 AM   #9
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Most bulletproof vest have a pocket that you can add a plate to to increase the protection. Special ceramic is is one kind, metal is another.
I was aware of the ceramic; I wasn't aware that steel was an option.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:30 AM   #10
DanHoward

Quote:
I've been using one as an anvil for a few years now.