Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: Maximum Attributes for Real World People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
She served as a mechanic and military truck driver in WWII. I assume she would have been given some sort of basic training even if she only drove trucks around Great Britain.
Okay, well, that could be a point of Soldier, at least.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #32
Anthony

Honestly, given the way the skill system works, the evidence for stats above about 12 is dubious. A stat of 12 learns skills four times as fast as a stat of 10...
Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #33
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Honestly, given the way the skill system works, the evidence for stats above about 12 is dubious. A stat of 12 learns skills four times as fast as a stat of 10...
No it doesn't. 1 point is one point for either stat. It takes just as long to improve for either stat.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #34
Flyndaran
Untagged

Stats just cover far too many things to work for simulationism as I believe people call it.
Some real individuals may have super quick learning, but start with abysmal defaults, and vice versa. That's not even getting into talents which I think far better represent rare geniuses and super athletes. And of course that real strongmen specialize in lifts so shouldn't be used as examples of maximum human over all Strength.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #35
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Stats just cover far too many things to work for simulationism as I believe people call it.
Some real individuals may have super quick learning, but start with abysmal defaults, and vice versa. That's not even getting into talents which I think far better represent rare geniuses and super athletes. And of course that real strongmen specialize in lifts so shouldn't be used as examples of maximum human over all Strength.
This brings up a common mistake people have with GURPS - they only look at the stats and not advantages, skills, or techniques.

One of best example of this "power through" mentality I have seen was in the fan created GURPS Mummy. Even in 3e there were better ways to achieve the same results without sending the stats into orbit and 4e has made things even easier.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #36
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No it doesn't. 1 point is one point for either stat. It takes just as long to improve for either stat.
IQ 12 with 2 points in a skill has skill 12. IQ 10 with 8 points in a skill has skill 12. Thus, 2 points are as good as 8 points, or 4x faster learning.

The plausible range of stats would be larger if the cost curve for skills was different.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #37
JazzJedi

Quote:
IQ 12 with 2 points in a skill has skill 12. IQ 10 with 8 points in a skill has skill 12. Thus, 2 points are as good as 8 points, or 4x faster learning.

The plausible range of stats would be larger if the cost curve for skills was different.
Exactly! What would be a more realistic cost curve for skills? I tinkered with some different models but never came up with anything satisfying. My first solution was that all skills had a fixed cost for a level, but stats above 10 gave a 10% cost reduction. So DX 15 means that all DX-based skills cost 50% less. But I abandoned this as it had lots of issues.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #38
whswhs

Quote:

And IQ 12 with 8 points has skill 14, but IQ 10 with 16 points has skill 14. That's only 2:1. If you go to skill 16, it's 16 vs. 24, which is only 3:2. Push it up to skill 20, and it's 32 vs. 40, which is 5:4. As you increase skill level, the ratio looks to go to 1 as a limit. Doing a ratio at only one point on a curve doesn't produce meaningful results.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #39
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
A GURPS stat of 20 is not realistic at all - someone with a stat at 20 would be an expert in nearly all skills that default to that stat, which is absurd.
That's an argument against the defaulting rules being unrealistic, not about high skill levels. I think the alternative suggestion is to use a fraction like 2/3 for the default, instead of a flat -4/-5/-6.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
That's an argument against the defaulting rules being unrealistic, not about high skill levels. I think the alternative suggestion is to use a fraction like 2/3 for the default, instead of a flat -4/-5/-6.
Or just adopt an alternate rule that cut off defaults after your stat reaches 16. With that, the very most brilliant person on Earth could play chess, or design model railroad layouts, or keep house as well as an entry level professional or serious hobbyist, given the requisite familiarity; for anything else, they would fall a bit short of "professional" level. I think that neatly avoids the worst issues about defaults.

Tags
attribute