Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #501
Astromancer

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Astromancer-

I suggest that you read more about Hamilton. He attacked Jefferson for T.J.s irreligion. Hamilton wanted a more Christian, not less Christian, nation. He proposed the creation of a Christian Constitutional Society.
I never denied Hamilton's faith. He however wanted a secular government.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #502
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
If I haven't said it earlier, I'll say it now, the USA would be seen in a negative light by the 3I. Our virtues are scary to them, our good stuff a threat, and our vices all to easy for an Imperial Aristocratic Society to line up and mock ferociously. If nothing else they can steal all the wittiest attacks the French, Brits, and Germans, have made on us and recycle them.
I've answered that one before. The virtues are not scary to the Imperium, because the well-known "fact" that democracy doesn't work on the interstellar scale insulates the Imperium from any serious consequences of supporting them. And Cleon HAD to pay lip service to these rights because the Sylean Federation had a Bill of Rights and he had to persuade the populations of the Federation worlds that they wouldn't lose them.

And let's not forget that one of the few canonical statements we have about Imperial rights is that nobles are equal under the law.

Mind you, the general knowledge about the US would be only a tiny bit as much as the knowledge about the Sylean Federation, and that wouldn't be very much.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #503
Astromancer

I think Terran history would be very likely to be fascinating to the 3I because of its drama. Much of Villani history is dull and or repetitive. They lived in a socially engineered society meant to be static and unchanging. That makes for dull history.

Terra's history has a dramatic quality because of its changes and growth. People will seek this stuf out in the same way they seek out exciting fiction.

Besides, Traveler has nearly always been "Brits in Space!!!!!!" It's the British Empire and a mixture of Victorian and Stuart tropes and stereotypes. The "Yanks in Space" line was always meaningless. The British Empire is clearly important in the 3I.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 09-19-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #504
Astromancer

Paycocks

These are gigantic genetically engineered Peacocks (and peahens) massing about five tons. They are used in parades for the spectacle. These are healthy, tough, and highly flexible birds. They are flightless, but they run well and can travel long distances with little stress to themselves. They are adaptable to a surprisingly wide variety of climates and terrains.

The females are easier to manage, as in many species, and make impressively good all-terrain vehicles. They are often used as such.

Many crooks like using paycocks because they are hard to detect transit. If you
doubt that just ask how easy it is to use satellites to find an Elephant as compared to a fusion powered antigrav vehicle.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 03-16-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #505
jason taylor

Quote:
I never denied Hamilton's faith. He however wanted a secular government.
"Secular" can mean "non-ecclesiastical" or it can mean irreligious and the ambiguity causes difficulties. When the House of Lords is called "Lords Spiritual and Secular" it means "Bishops and Nobles" not "Christians and Atheists."

Which is peripheral to what Hamilton actually wanted except insofar as it involves understanding what a given person would mean by "secular".
Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #506
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post

Mind you, the general knowledge about the US would be only a tiny bit as much as the knowledge about the Sylean Federation, and that wouldn't be very much.

Hans

We have a surprising amount of knowledge about a hick town in the Balkans that worshiped a female bookworm and another hick town that was founded by a man who murdered his brother.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #507
jason taylor

Quote:
I think Terran history would be very likely to be fasinating to the 3I because of its drama. Much of Villani history is dull and or repetative. They lived in a socially engineered society meant to be static and unchanging. That makes for dull history.
Vilani history as a whole. The rise and fall of dynasties and their competition for power, the struggle of frontier folk to survive, the secret societies of Khagarim, etc can make for interesting history. Oriental societies have been mined for tales often enough(the Shen Yu-sort of like Chinese ballet-are doing a tour nearby; I wish I had enough money to see it).
Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #508
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
We have a surprising amount of knowledge about a hick town in the Balkans that worshiped a female bookworm and another hick town that was founded by a man who murdered his brother.
Oh, the knowledge would be available in the data banks. But I doubt very much that it would be general (i.e. am absolutely convinced that it wouldn't be) .

Hans
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #509
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Oh, the knowledge would be available in the data banks. But I doubt very much that it would be general (i.e. am absolutely convinced that it wouldn't be) .

Hans
I would say that there is no correlation between the size of a culture and it's influence, and the influence of those two hick towns was already so great by the time of the ISW as to make them pretty much assured wherever Solomani go.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #510
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I would say that there is no correlation between the size of a culture and it's influence, and the influence of those two hick towns was already so great by the time of the ISW as to make them pretty much assured wherever Solomani go.
I would say that I don't understand what you think 'general knowledge' means and vice versa. Perhaps I'm using the term incorrectly? I'm talking about walking up to John Q. Public and asking him what he knows about Athens and Rome and the USA and the Sylean Federation. Whatever he answers, that's what I mean by 'the general knowledge of the subject'.

Hans