Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
ADAXL

Default [Low Tech] Metal Bullets for the Heavy Sling

The description on p. 74 of GURPS Low Tech implies that the Heavy Sling can hurl metal bullets ("Any of these three types of sling can lob stones or lead bullets..") The weapon table does not give the Heavy Sling the number 9 note (the one for metal bullets).

Of course, metal bullets weighing 1lb would normally not be practical ammunition, but they might come in handy for the defense of a fortress. Imagine a company of hand-picked slingers (beefy ST13 guys with Sling-16) raining 1lb metal slugs on attackers. This would give 2+2 cru damage at a range of up to 78!

So, what is the official rule here?
ADAXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [Low Tech] Metal Bullets for the Heavy Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAXL View Post
The description on p. 74 of GURPS Low Tech implies that the Heavy Sling can hurl metal bullets ("Any of these three types of sling can lob stones or lead bullets..") The weapon table does not give the Heavy Sling the number 9 note (the one for metal bullets).

Of course, metal bullets weighing 1lb would normally not be practical ammunition, but they might come in handy for the defense of a fortress. Imagine a company of hand-picked slingers (beefy ST13 guys with Sling-16) raining 1lb metal slugs on attackers. This would give 2+2 cru damage at a range of up to 78!

So, what is the official rule here?
On page 78, under note [3] it mentions the price of shaped sling bullets, which are the default. Found stones can be launched but they're less accurate.

EDIT: Oops. The default is actually shaped stones. Note [9] says that the normal sling or staff sling (but not the heavy sling) can use lead bullets for +1 dmg and x2 rng.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 10-16-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Gross inaccuracies
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Polydamas

When I was researching those for the playtest, I found no evidence of slings throwing 1 lb lead shot, just 1 lb stones. Stones are free, baked clay is cheap, and lead is expensive. I don't have access to the final draft, but as far as I know historical Heavy Slings only threw stones and maybe clay shot. And LT confines itself to historical technologies ...

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
And LT confines itself to historical technologies ...
Yeah. We didn't find anything metal shot for it. It's capable of it in a fantasy game, though.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

So how big were lead sling bullets?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
So how big were lead sling bullets?
Per Tracey Rihll, The Catapult, pp. 98ff, a lead glans could weigh from 18 g up to 500 g; that is, the big ones were about a pound, but the low end were about 0.04 pounds. There are some nice pictures on p. 99 and 103.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
ADAXL

I am, of course, aware that Heavy Slings would use only stone ammunition. My question was about what was possible according to the GURPS rules. It hasn't happened historically, but it would be a neat idea.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
DanHoward

If you have a stone shot and a lead shot that both weigh 1 lb., how would performance differ? The lead one would be smaller but not small enough, nor fast enough to penetrate flesh like normal sling shot. What would be the point of 1 lb sling shots made of metal? You could carry more of them in a sack but that's about it.

Last edited by DanHoward; 10-16-2010 at 03:32 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
ADAXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
What would be the point of 1 lb sling shots made of metal?
The point would be extra range and damage:

"[9] Can fire stones (TL0) or lead bullets (TL2). Lead bullets give +1 damage and double range."

A normal Heavy Sling does sw+2 cr damage and has a range of x3/x6. Under the rules for metal bullets, it would do sw+3 cr at ranges of x6/x12. That is reason enough to consider the option if a good quantity of metal is available.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
DanHoward

Normal sling shot made of lead weighs more than stone of a similar size. This is why they give greater damage. The additional damage wouldn't apply if stone and lead shot both weigh one pound. Range might be better since the one-pound lead shot would have a smaller surface area than the one-pound stone shot.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote