Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
thom

Default Crossbow version of Run & Gun?

So one of my PCs wants to be more effective with his crossbow - but not to the point of Heroic Archer or Gunslinger. He basically wants a crossbow version of Christopher Rice's very cool Run & Gun advantage from Monster Hunters Power-Ups. I'm trying to build it as follows:

Run & Shoot (original, I know!)
Prerequisites: Crossbow at 16+

When using a crossbow, you ignore the penalty when making a Move and Attack. In addition, you can keep any Aim bonus (if you aimed the previous turn) and you ignore the crossbow's Bulk Penalty.

Perks: Unique Technique (Run and Shoot) [1].
Techniques: Run and Shoot (H) Skill+0 [4]
Benefit: Enhanced Grip. Ignore the Bulk penalty when any crossbow while making an attack. ‑1 (This seems kind of a low cost to me).
Benefit: Steady Shot. Retain weapon's Accuracy on previously aimed shots. ‑1.
Benefit: Practiced Movement. You ignore the penalty for doing two actions at once when using a Move and Attack. ‑1.

So the final cost would be 1 + 3 +1 (for a Hard technique) = 5 character points. Does that seem reasonable? This is the first time I've ever tried to build a technique so I'm not sure I've got it down. Thanks for any help!

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Crossbow version of Run & Gun?

I don't have any MH books, so can't comment on Christopher's build, but I will note that the Technique I'm aware of that reduces/eliminates Bulk penalties is Close Quarters Battle, from GURPS: Tactical Shooting. There it simply gives a bonus to reduce the Bulk penalty and follows normal Technique guidelines, at [1] per +1 (plus an additional [1] for being a Hard Technique), negating up to -4 worth of Bulk. I could see Steady Aim as an available option to benefit from a previous Aim even when doing a Move and Attack, at least in a cinematic campaign, and setting it as a single Special Benefit (for -1) seems alright. I'm not sure what you are referring to with removing the penalty for doing two things at once - if you're referring to the penalty Move and Attack suffers, for ranged attacks it only suffers from Bulk, nothing else (although weapons with Bulk better than -2 are treated as though they had Bulk -2).

So, if you are setting the price to [5], you're probably looking at [1] for Unique Technique, [1] for the Special Benefit, and [1] because it's a Hard Technique, leaving [2] for purposes of negating Bulk - that'll negate the Bulk for a typical handgun (letting you use Move and Attack at full skill), but only make it +2 better for larger weapons, including most crossbows (so a Bulk -6 crossbow functions as though it were only Bulk -4). But it's possible that Power-Up made different assumptions.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:50 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
So one of my PCs wants to be more effective with his crossbow - but not to the point of Heroic Archer or Gunslinger. He basically wants a crossbow version of Christopher Rice's very cool Run & Gun advantage from Monster Hunters Power-Ups. I'm trying to build it as follows:

Run & Shoot (original, I know!)
Prerequisites: Crossbow at 16+

When using a crossbow, you ignore the penalty when making a Move and Attack. In addition, you can keep any Aim bonus (if you aimed the previous turn) and you ignore the crossbow's Bulk Penalty.

Perks: Unique Technique (Run and Shoot) [1].
Techniques: Run and Shoot (H) Skill+0 [4]
Benefit: Enhanced Grip. Ignore the Bulk penalty when any crossbow while making an attack. ‑1 (This seems kind of a low cost to me).
Benefit: Steady Shot. Retain weapon's Accuracy on previously aimed shots. ‑1.
Benefit: Practiced Movement. You ignore the penalty for doing two actions at once when using a Move and Attack. ‑1.

So the final cost would be 1 + 3 +1 (for a Hard technique) = 5 character points. Does that seem reasonable? This is the first time I've ever tried to build a technique so I'm not sure I've got it down. Thanks for any help!

thom
Yup. That looks fine.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #4
thom

Thanks Christopher! Always nice to hear from the writer who inspired the thought. I confess I'm still a bit dubious about -6 worth of Bulk Penalty being removed for only 1 CP - but that's how you wrote yours, and since Sean edited it I can't argue with both of you! <sg>

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:20 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Thanks Christopher! Always nice to hear from the writer who inspired the thought. I confess I'm still a bit dubious about -6 worth of Bulk Penalty being removed for only 1 CP - but that's how you wrote yours, and since Sean edited it I can't argue with both of you! <sg>

thom
I thought about just buying the penalty off, but it's so situational it's not really worth a Hard technique. You could if you wanted it to be less cinematic.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-05-2023, 06:46 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I thought about just buying the penalty off, but it's so situational it's not really worth a Hard technique. You could if you wanted it to be less cinematic.
Treating it as a Special Benefit is honestly probably fine in a campaign where Gunslinger/Heroic Archer/etc is available, yeah, seeing as it normally comes free with those traits. Tactical Shooting assumes a markedly-less cinematic setting, where having it as a Technique (and limiting it to negate no more than a -4) is arguably more appropriate.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:28 AM   #7
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
So, if you are setting the price to [5], you're probably looking at [1] for Unique Technique, [1] for the Special Benefit, and [1] because it's a Hard Technique, leaving [2] for purposes of negating Bulk - that'll negate the Bulk for a typical handgun (letting you use Move and Attack at full skill), but only make it +2 better for larger weapons, including most crossbows (so a Bulk -6 crossbow functions as though it were only Bulk -4). But it's possible that Power-Up made different assumptions.
FYI the CCB technique allows one to buy off bulk upto -4.
So just the full technique would be 5 points if it's a hard technique.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Treating it as a Special Benefit is honestly probably fine in a campaign where Gunslinger/Heroic Archer/etc is available, yeah, seeing as it normally comes free with those traits. Tactical Shooting assumes a markedly-less cinematic setting, where having it as a Technique (and limiting it to negate no more than a -4) is arguably more appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
FYI the CCB technique allows one to buy off bulk upto -4.
So just the full technique would be 5 points if it's a hard technique.
A'yup. That's one of the reasons why I felt it was fine for a cinematic game.

Become a Patron!