Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #111
Kesendeja

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

YES. The reason is that more variables keep things from becoming to predictable
Old 10-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #112
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
OK, if I'm reading the responses correctly, that's three for YES, one that's probably NO, and one (Varyon's) that is unclear to me whether that's a YES or a NO. So, YES probably wins, unless there are new votes (or corrections or clarifications to existing votes) before I post the new Time Period Question tomorrow.
I'm largely ambivalent, hence the answer not being a clear yes or no. Let's just go with a YES to keep things moving along.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:40 PM   #113
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
YES. The reason is that more variables keep things from becoming to predictable
This depends on what sort of campaign you want.

If a typical group of PCs spends every session encountering a different kind of dangerous alien with unknown abilities but always some ability to disguise themselves as humans they're going to develop a strategy of "Kill'em all! Let StarFleet sort them out!" (even if there is no equivalent of Starfleet).. It may end up with "Bury the Gate!"too.

If this sort of shoot'em up is what you want then go for it. If you want something else you can't keep the PCs perpetually in doubt about who's who and how to deal with them.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:08 AM   #114
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This depends on what sort of campaign you want.

If a typical group of PCs spends every session encountering a different kind of dangerous alien with unknown abilities but always some ability to disguise themselves as humans they're going to develop a strategy of "Kill'em all! Let StarFleet sort them out!" (even if there is no equivalent of Starfleet).. It may end up with "Bury the Gate!"too.

If this sort of shoot'em up is what you want then go for it. If you want something else you can't keep the PCs perpetually in doubt about who's who and how to deal with them.
You seem to have a much higher estimate in the number of different types of Goa'Uld/godlings/whatever than I do. I would say that the actual number would depend on the GM and players, but the default in my mind is that you have a few 'false-god races,' maybe a dozen, and do have repeat encounters. For clarity, I'm going to put the next question in a separate post.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:11 AM   #115
Prince Charon

Time Period Question II, revised

OK, splitting the period into four chunks, with the next Time Period Question narrowing down the year. Which of these chunks do you prefer?

1. 1980-'84

2. 1985-'89

3. 1990-'94

4. 1995-'99

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Answer: 1 and 4 were tied, having three votes each. 2 has two votes, and 3 has one vote. I'm breaking the tie: 4 wins.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 10-05-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:15 AM   #116
Varyon

Quote:
4: 1995-1999, to match the time period in which Stargate: SG1 started.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:21 AM   #117
TGLS

1, 2 or 3.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #118
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Answer:
$ 1995-1999.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #119
Fred Brackin

Quote:
You seem to have a much higher estimate in the number of different types of Goa'Uld/godlings/whatever than I do. I would say that the actual number would depend on the GM and players, but the default in my mind is that you have a few 'false-god races,' maybe a dozen, and do have repeat encounters.
A dozen is enough to end up in the "shoot the aliens of the week" place. I'd have said over 3 or 4 was enough.

Note also that I was replying to Kesendeja who wanted to keep things from being "too predictable". There's a "too chaotic" too and I'd be afraid that a dozen players in the "Gate Net" would qualify.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #120
Varyon

Quote:

To be fair, the canonical body-snatching Goa'uld would have similar issues in never knowing if the person you're meeting with is a human or an alien monster bent on destroying and/or enslaving all you hold dear. Or, at least, they would have similar issues, if they weren't incredibly arrogant, and thus didn't insist on flaunting their non-human nature (making their eyes glow, speaking in two voices, utilizing Goa'uld-specific technology, etc). And there's nothing stopping you from having pretty much all of the System Lord-races behave in such a manner. When SG1 shows up at a new planet, they know who the aliens are because they're the ones hovering in the air with electricity crackling around them, leaving frozen footprints from the layer of magical frost that surrounds them, etc, and demanding worship.

This does mean SG1 will often not have the advantage of already being familiar with the way Goa'uld operate, however, as each race probably utilizes different spells/weapons and tactics.

Quote:
A dozen is enough to end up in the "shoot the aliens of the week" place. I'd have said over 3 or 4 was enough.

Note also that I was replying to Kesendeja who wanted to keep things from being "too predictable". There's a "too chaotic" too and I'd be afraid that a dozen players in the "Gate Net" would qualify.
A lot would depend on how the GM utilizes each race. My own inclination, if running a game in such a setting, would be to have a primary antagonist race (undoubtedly the Goa'uld expy I outlined earlier), but then from time to time have the System Lord the characters are up against this adventure actually be a shapeshifting naga, a swarm of insects disguised under an illusion, or whatever. I'd opt to utilize such twists rarely.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding