Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: GMing TFT for children

Some typical talents to keep things moving and characters from dying:

Detect Traps
Remove Traps
Physicker
Alertness
Locksmith
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #12
Skarg

It really depends on the kids, but age 10 is not too young for many kids, especially if they have a GM who is a gamer or knows the rules.

Milton Bradley's old Carrier Strike used a hex grid, and it didn't throw off any of the kids I played it with - we were about 6.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:54 AM   #13
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Some typical talents to keep things moving and characters from dying:

Detect Traps
Remove Traps
Physicker
Alertness
Locksmith
Perfect. Those would cost 8 total. Basic weapons skills mostly cost 2 each (I'd exclude any expert skills) and with just a few more they'd see the value in having more than the minimum IQ, and that no one can afford everything. I'd want them to see early that there are trade-offs and choices to be made. I'd round that out with:

Climbing
Swimming
Driving
Horsemanship
Literacy
Pickpocket

And not much more! Perhaps one or two skills that affect reaction rolls, as that points them in the direction of role playing. Charisma and/or Courtly Graces -- but probably not Sex Appeal, as that might be a little weird where kids are concerned.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #14
larsdangly

The biggest and most unique advantage TFT has as a first/teaching table top rpg is its physical components. The individual pieces, like counters, might not catch your attention on their own, but they all work together as a system, sort of like your own affordable Dwarven Forge set, so when all the pieces are in place on the table - color rubber mats, tiles, counters, cards, dice - it is visually engaging and intrinsically fun to physically interact with. This more than makes up for the supposed complexity of presenting a 10 year old with a hex grid (which I don't buy is actually a hurdle).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #15
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The biggest and most unique advantage TFT has as a first/teaching table top rpg is its physical components. The individual pieces, like counters, might not catch your attention on their own, but they all work together as a system, sort of like your own affordable Dwarven Forge set, so when all the pieces are in place on the table - color rubber mats, tiles, counters, cards, dice - it is visually engaging and intrinsically fun to physically interact with. This more than makes up for the supposed complexity of presenting a 10 year old with a hex grid (which I don't buy is actually a hurdle).
While I agree with just about every post about how to introduce both children and adults to TFT, there is an a newer perspective aspect that we all have to work hard to get around. This is that anyone under 20 today has had access to video and PC games that have very vivid graphics and all of the rules are built in ensuring that no one has to think or use their imagination. This is a tough thing to counter. Therefore, offering up some of the pizzazz of colorful game boards, counters, and miniatures is probably what it will take to initially capture their attention. I have noticed that some young kids still like family board games even with all of the tech at their disposal. TFT is more complicated but finding an interesting way to present it will help.

My son is almost 23 and I'm almost 59. He has no memory of life without computers or video games with decent graphics. When I was in middle school, they came out with the arcade, stand up console, PONG. It was also very expensive for a kid to play at a quarter a pop. You could wipe out your lawn mowing money or allowance in one short session. Another perspective here is that 25 cents in 1973 adjusted for inflation to 2022 has the buying power of $1.58. So, needless to say, I didn't play many video games growing up and, being the geek that I am, preferred the computer versions of games as home computing became a thing. By the way, my first home computer was an Atari 400 (a glorified game machine with a pressure pad keyboard).

As I introduced my son to TFT, a bell rang in his head. He told me that he know understands why I preferred PC games like Diablo.

The moral of this story is that you can't assume that the youngsters have the same perspective as we adults do upon introduction to such a game. They have to be convinced that it's worth the effort to use their brains and imagination when turning on a video game is much easier.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #16
Axly Suregrip

I started my kids on Melee that decades ago.

- keep it simple
- keep it fun
- set up a fight for them that they will win, but still exciting

For example of keep it simple: I started by asking, "what weapon do you think is cool? broadsword, ax, longbow, morning star or spear?" Then I would build a simple melee character for that. They each would get one, and I expect early on I would have a character too. Choices of weapons, armor and details will come later.

At first we did not even use a map. Just roles and me describing what is happening. Of course, talk up critical hit or fail rolls for big excitement.

Example of setting up a win: Three of use vs a wolf for a first fight. No HTH. Next fight vs a giant snake (ST 12 but hard to hit). Just the two of them vs a wolf next. Keep the game moving fast so they don't get bored.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #17
Steve Plambeck

Just tossing this out there off the top of my head.

Wouldn't teaching them chess first make Melee seem both easier and more interesting? And most people do still learn chess. Whether they play on a board with physical pieces or on a computer screen with fancy graphics, the game is still the same.

And where movement on a chess board is quite abstract, movement on a hex grid just looks like common sense: move in any direction you want, move as far in a turn as your speed allows. But inhibited by engagement.

That's got to look a lot easier than some pieces move perpendicularly, some move horizontally, some move only one space, some move unlimited spaces, some move in an "L", some can move 2 spaces on their first move only, and then there's castling. And the weakest piece can knock off the strongest piece just as easily as any other piece.

Melee on a hex grid is a piece of cake compared to all that. And you roll dice -- that's fun!
Old 02-16-2022, 12:33 AM   #18
JohnPaulB

*I just read Axly's post after I posted mine; So I absolutely agree that this is a great intro to TFT.

With kids, why not play it as a role-playing game.

Give the player a stat card with some talents and gear. Tell them the adventure and start narrating. Involve them with "what do you do" questions.

If something comes up that they need to parse, bring down the hexmat and say "we're going to use this hexmat to resolve the issue." Explain a little about movement and combat and guide them through the encounter.

When it is resolved, remove the hexmat and go back to narrating.

You can do most everything in TFT without worrying about the hexmat and pieces themselves.

You can even do combat by having them visualize it and roll dice for swing and damage. Not even using the hexmat.

----------------

Then again, if your purpose is to have a tabletop display to lure them into your table at a convention, then by all means lay out a 3D display from MageKnights, give them a character (with some talents), teach them a bit about movement and combat and have them fight some orcs.

I've done that kind of thing too with kids.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 02-16-2022 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Additional comments
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:38 PM   #19
Bill_in_IN

The bumping of this thread gave me a great idea for tomorrow when my sister will visit with her 8 year old grandson. If he gets bored with the few things that we have to keep him occupied, I may just pull out the Melee board.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote