Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #541
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPmunchcraft View Post
I also deal 4 cards of each type at the beginning of the game but I could've swarn that's what it said to do in my rulebook.
Yes, so it's not an actual house rule. Where, specifically, are you inferring that something different should be done? I will grant that the rules have changed from 2 from each in 2010, so any post prior to May 2010 should be ignored with respect to how many cards you start the game with.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #542
oakpack4

Default [Houserule Crafting] Class overlap

So my friends and I play Munchkin in excessive amounts, and I (as the owner of the cards and boxes) am of the contentious opinion that there's no such thing as too many cards in the deck. To this effect we have previously played with Munchkin 1 and 2, Booty 1 and 2, Fish and Ships, and Munchkin Cthulhu 1 and 2. Tonight we're adding Munchkin 3, Cthulhu 3, and Good/Bad/Munchkin. There is but one legitimate concern from the opposition worth addressing: Class-restricted items become unreasonable. While I could just buy a handful of blank sets and write nothing but Cheat cards to insure the prosperity of the deck, I wonder if there's a smart way to allow classes to share class item allowances, and monster bonuses/penalties. Does anyone with a more wide-reaching knowledge of the game have any advice to offer (other than 'play with less cards you madman')?
oakpack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #543
Clipper

Default Re: [Houserule Crafting] Class overlap

Adding Munchkin 7: Cheat With Both Hands to your deck would solve many of the problems. It's got some special variations of Cheat! that really help a blended game. The Ultra Munchkin (have up to three Classes) and Super Duper Munchkin (have any number of Classes with a minimum of 2) will also help quite a bit, seeing as all the sets you are using have Classes.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #544
oakpack4

Default Re: [Houserule Crafting] Class overlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Adding Munchkin 7: Cheat With Both Hands to your deck would solve many of the problems. It's got some special variations of Cheat! that really help a blended game. The Ultra Munchkin (have up to three Classes) and Super Duper Munchkin (have any number of Classes with a minimum of 2) will also help quite a bit, seeing as all the sets you are using have Classes.
I made a mistake, I also have this, and we are yet unsatisfied (not with the product, but with class cohesion)

p.s. Thanks for moving the thread
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #545
Clipper

Well, I've never trialled this, but perhaps you could add a house rule such as the following:

At the start of the game, create a Class deck containing one of each type of Class card in the game. At any time during their turn, a player may discard three Class cards (from their hand and/or the table) to select a Class from the Class deck and put it into play.

I'm not sure if 3:1 is the right ratio, or whether you want to allow players to discard other types of cards to help power this too (if you made it any number of cards, I'd go with 4 cards from the hand, as that seems to work well with the Dungeon sets). You will likely find some sort of nice trade-off over several plays, in any case.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #546
oakpack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Well, I've never trialled this, but perhaps you could add a house rule such as the following:

At the start of the game, create a Class deck containing one of each type of Class card in the game. At any time during their turn, a player may discard three Class cards (from their hand and/or the table) to select a Class from the Class deck and put it into play.

I'm not sure if 3:1 is the right ratio, or whether you want to allow players to discard other types of cards to help power this too (if you made it any number of cards, I'd go with 4 cards from the hand, as that seems to work well with the Dungeon sets). You will likely find some sort of nice trade-off over several plays, in any case.
We'll try this. We'll also trial the following:
Make a list of all classes, in our case:
Cleric
Wizard
Warrior
Thief
Bard
Pirate
Merchant
Navy
Explorer
Monster Whacker
Professor
Investigator
Dude
Cowboy
Indian
Outlaw (Cultist purposefully omitted)
Randomize the order of the list, then go through, rolling a d6. As soon as a number is repeated, both classes go off the list and share class item options and monster penalties/bonuses. Each game will have different class pairs this way.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #547
Patsycoconut

Default Munchkin Zombie(s).....Dice

Before a game of Munchkin Zombies, I had the idea to add a little something to the game. I grabbed Zombie Dice and made up a little rule for combat bonus...

So during combat on YOUR turn, you have to option to grab the cup and roll for a bonus. If you don't know the rules, you can look at them here http://www.sjgames.com/dice/zombiedi...es_English.pdf . Follow rules normally. You can get a +1 bonus to your combat for every brain you roll but if you get 3 shots, you get a -1 for the shots and a -1 for every brain you acquired before the shots(say you got shot 3 times and had 3 brains on the table it would equal a -4 to the rolling munchkin). Bonuses last for the current combat only and usable only once per combat.

It worked out quite well and we had a lot of fun with it. A tweak we may try next time is a -3 for the shots and -1 for the additional brains. Or maybe a lingering negative to combat if you are killed by the dice.

Just thought I would get my idea out there. Thanks :)

Last edited by Patsycoconut; 03-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Patsycoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #548
LordArach

Default Re: Munchkin Zombie(s).....Dice

You should probably throw that into the Member House Rules as there is currently a rule to use your Zombie Dice in Munchkin via the Official Munchkin Zombies Bookmark of BRAAAAAAAAINS!

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #549
Snowy06

When our group plays Cthulhu we play without the rule for the game ending if everyone is a Cultist. (with all other Cultist rules intact)

The reason is it kinda killed the fun for us when the game was just over because everyone happened to be turned into a certain class against their will rather than an epic throw down of cards trying to boost that level 2 monster up to deny someone the winning level.

We play without the Charity rule in all versions because we're cruel and selfish and like to watch each other flounder.

We ruled that an Elf cannot get the winning level through assisting someone in combat because if someone was being petty they could just let their elf buddy win the game by assisting in a combat when they didn't need to.

There have been other things, mostly rules interpretations, but I cannot recall them at the moment.
Snowy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #550
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy06 View Post
When our group plays Cthulhu we play without the rule for the game ending if everyone is a Cultist. (with all other Cultist rules intact)

The reason is it kinda killed the fun for us when the game was just over because everyone happened to be turned into a certain class against their will rather than an epic throw down of cards trying to boost that level 2 monster up to deny someone the winning level.
Bear in mind, one can choose to become a Cultist as well. It's not something that only happens against ones will.

Quote:
We ruled that an Elf cannot get the winning level through assisting someone in combat because if someone was being petty they could just let their elf buddy win the game by assisting in a combat when they didn't need to.
A player can't get help if he's not losing the combat. You can't just bring a helper into the combat just because you want to. You must either have be losing based on combat strength, or some other card must require you to have a helper to win the combat before you can get a helper.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice