Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #1
Saint

Default Immunity to Break Weapon

The text for the Break Weapon spell suggests there is an Immunity to the spell that can be enchanted into a magic weapon, but there doesn't seem to be an entry for it on the magic item creation table. What do you reckon the requirements for such an enchantment ought to be?
I'm thinking about twice everything for the Drop Weapon enchantment, but I'm curious what all of you think.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Immunity to Break Weapon

See the top of ITL page 156 for the section "Enchanting Objects with Immunity Spells"
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
See the top of ITL page 156 for the section "Enchanting Objects with Immunity Spells"
Wow. I don't know how I missed that little paragraph. I've read and reread the rest of the section numerous times trying to figure it out, I've done a Google search, I've searched the SJ Games forums, and I looked up the errata - all in search of the answer, but there it is in black and white.

Sincerely, thanks.
Old 11-13-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
Axly Suregrip

It is why I love the pdf version of ITL. Can just do searches for keywords. I knew this section was there, but the word search makes it fast to find.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #5
Saint

I love how TFT grognards always agree.
In the Labyrinth is more open to interpretation than The Good Book ;-)
Old 11-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
Skarg

I don't exactly agree. I think that Immunity to Drop Weapon is one thing, and that Immunity to Break Weapon should simply be another enchantment (without a corresponding enchantment that breaks weapons).

The one I added to my Advanced Wizard book, back about 1982, is cost $1500, 2 weeks, 100 ST/day, $130 ingredients per week.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
warhorse11h

The Spell reference Pages in the Wizard game contain an answer to this question on page 4 under the description for Break Weapon, the IQ 12 spell. In the description, the rules state that all magic weapons are immune to Break Weapon by their very nature as magic weapons.
This text also appears in the original Wizard as well in the description of the Break Weapon spell.
I think that the above was the intended rule for ITL, but it was garbled in translation in the original text and not corrected in Legacy. Or at least that will work well enough for me. It's simple to implement it as well. Magic weapons are simply immune to the spell Break Weapon.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #8
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
The Spell reference Pages in the Wizard game contain an answer to this question on page 4 under the description for Break Weapon, the IQ 12 spell. In the description, the rules state that all magic weapons are immune to Break Weapon by their very nature as magic weapons.
Good catch and a reasonable answer to put it under Weapon/Armor Enchantment, with immunity to Drop Weapon usually being the second enchantment for only $1000 more. ($500, doubled for second enchantment on the weapon.)
https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#WAE
Old 11-24-2022, 12:34 AM   #9
Steve Plambeck

Hmmmm... shouldn't the target of Drop Weapon really be the person holding the weapon (or the hand of that person) and not the weapon itself? Sure you can view it as turning the hilt too hot or slippery to handle, or smacking the weapon with a precise psychic blow, but it might be just as reasonable to assume it just makes the victim's hand(s) go numb or slack for a few instants.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:36 AM   #10
hcobb

Yes, there is at ITL 18 "Makes victim drop", but also "A weapon or other object with Immunity", so a sword with Immunity to Drop Weapon protects against mundane butterfingers also, while the ring only protects against the spell.

Tags
break weapon, fantasy trip, magic weapons, missing info