Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
Helborn

Default Doubling up the Fire Spell

Can a second fire spell be cast into the same or an overlapping area to double the damage caused?
I was playing the Castle Defiant siege scenario from Orcslayer and my mage wanted to cast two 7 hex Fire spells overlapping in front of the gate once the ram came close.
I contend that the hexes that overlapped had two individual fire spells and the total damage would be 4 to pass through and 8 if standing in place.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Doubling up the Fire Spell

As far as I know, the rules are silent on this, but it is a creative way to make the most Fire. My one caution would be allowing 3-hex or 7-hex Fire to make a single, extremely hot hex of fire--that might be something to think carefully about, or at least to warn players that you feel no obligation to let it serve as a precedent if it proves too strong.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
hcobb

ITL 137 lists those few exceptions to casting Creation spells in non-empty hexes, and this doesn't seem to be one of those.

An interesting question is what happens when you put seven hexes of fire in the seven hexes of a dragon?

Last edited by hcobb; 12-19-2022 at 04:01 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
timm meyers

My 1st possible answer would be each fire in a hex counts separately. Example walking through a tripled fire hex = 6 hits BUT taken individually so someone with leather armor would still take no damage.

2nd seems like the rule of 5 could help out? Each hex of fire that overlaps (up to 5) would add 1 point of damage in intensity. So, the max 5 hexes in one would do 6 hits. Using the Example above the triple fire hex would do 4 hits when passed through and the leather armored warrior stops 2 and receiving 2 burn wounds.

The big question is how many players will want to cast 7 hex fire but make all of them overlap in one hex. Would that be legal? Certainly, beneficial with any of the above rules and I know many who would insist on that for max damage.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
hcobb

Perhaps putting 7 hexes of fire into one hex doesn't make the fire any hotter or cause any more damage, but it makes the same fire last for 7 minutes. (Compare to other spells that add duration.) Hence the casting of Brand that makes a single torch that lasts for a day.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
Shostak

And Destroy Creation should only remove one stacked Fire hex at a time.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:48 PM   #7
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
As far as I know, the rules are silent on this, but it is a creative way to make the most Fire. My one caution would be allowing 3-hex or 7-hex Fire to make a single, extremely hot hex of fire--that might be something to think carefully about, or at least to warn players that you feel no obligation to let it serve as a precedent if it proves too strong.

Because of the wording, I would not allow a 3 or 7 hex fire to overlap on itself. (ITL 23: 3-Hex Fire (C): Like the Fire spell, but covering up to 3
connected hexes. Cost: 2 ST.) since the hexes are "connected" RAW would not allow overlap.

"An interesting question is what happens when you put seven hexes of fire in the seven hexes of a dragon?"
I suggest that the first turn is 2 hits per hex but the dragons skin stops 3 for a 4-hex dragon and 5 for a 7-hex dragon, and that would apply per hex for fire (or any area attack - petard or 7 die explosive gem)

I like the idea of the rule of 5 as a limit on the number of fire spells that can be stacked but would not extend the time that the creation spell lasts.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:03 PM   #8
Skarg

Yeah, each fire hex would do damage, but armor would apply to each, too.

RAW, there's no way to multiply damage by putting more than one fire in the same hex. You could houserule something, as Helborn did, but I'd beware how powerful that could get. Fire is already a very good spell, especially for its IQ level, and it is already possible to do lots of damage with it, if you can trap someone in it, and/or put multiple fire hexes that they'll need to move through.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
Mufon

I have a few related questions regarding this spell.
1. How long does the fire last (how many turns)?
2. If on was wearing leather or cloth armor, wouldn't the fire damage those types of armor after providing their initial protection so that on subsequent turns the armor would not provide the same level of protection if not completely destroyed.
Mufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #10
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufon View Post
I have a few related questions regarding this spell.
1. How long does the fire last (how many turns)?
2. If on was wearing leather or cloth armor, wouldn't the fire damage those types of armor after providing their initial protection so that on subsequent turns the armor would not provide the same level of protection if not completely destroyed.
  1. 12 turns (one minute) by ITL 140
  2. See “Using up” your armor and shield at ITL 108