Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
FeiLin

Default BAD or Spikes?

We have a mix of dungeon fantasy and fantasy, in what I hope can evolve into a more open world sandbox mode. For this, I’m looking for a way to handle going off the edges of the graph paper (like improvised encounters or even full blown adventures) in a manner that’s easy and flexible (from a GM perspective), yet sensible and acceptable (from a player perspective).

For this, I’m primarily considering BAD from Action and …With Spikes from Dungeon Fantasy. Say, when the players decide to break into a wealthy noble’s house to steal something I hadn’t planned or even thought they might try.

What’s your suggestions regarding this? When are BAD and …With Spikes suitable or not and what are their strong and weak points, respectively? Are there any other ways? How would you suggest tackling this?
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:59 AM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: BAD or Spikes?

I think BAD & "with spikes" are essentially the same thing.
I think they are very useful tools especially when the players go "off script".

The big difference between the two is which comes first: narrative or modifiers.
BAD: -4. It's the corrupt mayors house, he'll have the best locks & surveillance.
"with spikes": The wall to the mayors estate is smooth, tightly fitted stone, with sharp, ornamented, spikes. (That's 5 adjectives @ -1 each) so -5 to skill.

When the players go "off script" with me (& it happens often) I tend to use BAD more than "with spikes" but if I am not sure of what the BAD should be, I'll try to reverse engineer the modifier.

Sometimes if I know it will be super difficult, I'll go for "with spikes" & tell the players the adjectives. Then they can try to nullify some of them to reduce the difficulty.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
FeiLin

Default Re: BAD or Spikes?

How do you communicate this to the players?

For BAD, do you say a particular scene or encounter is “BAD -4”, so players are aware of their precise odds? (“You try to break into the mayor’s mansion, that’ll be BAD -4 for this part”)

I guess for “…With Spikes” the players are aware that each descriptor is worth -1 and listen carefully. (“Ok, so smooth, fitted stone with ornamental, sharp spikes, that’ll be -5 then, right?”)
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, …with spikes