Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 11-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
ckosacranoid

Default Campaign ideas

Looking at doing a atomic highways game and cars crossover game and want to run some ideas past others.

I am going to use atomic highways for a character build and fly rules, pretty easy and fun to use.
I am going to use cars wars for a setting and the car combat rules for car combat. Have an idea to deal with cross for skills and such.
Big issue I am trying to figure out is I am looking to have 4 players in the group and use a bunch of the published jobs and adventures from road battles and ADQ over the years.
Not sure what I should do for a basic cash setup for each pc to buy gear for personal use. Kinda thinking of giving them each $1000 which can get some decent gear to start.
Not sure what to give them as a group to start off with for cars or should I just build a couple of decent off road trikes for them.
What would be a good budget for the group to give them to guys transport?
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Campaign ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
Not sure what I should do for a basic cash setup for each pc to buy gear for personal use. Kinda thinking of giving them each $1000 which can get some decent gear to start.
Maybe $1,000 for combat gear -- given the prices for stuff, that $1,000 is going to disappear fast (BA alone is 25% of that grand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
Not sure what to give them as a group to start off with for cars or should I just build a couple of decent off road trikes for them.
What would be a good budget for the group to give them to guys transport?
The adventures in _ADQ_ usually run $10-15K/character, for vehicle and equipment; that's enough for each character to have a solid Div. 10 duelcar, with two characters doubling up on a Div. 20 "support vehicle" (Wagon or Pickup with a Portable Shop and cargo capacity. With four PCs, that's a Point Guard, a Rear Guard, and the "ash-and-trash" vehicle....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
swordtart

You could always allow the players to start with a loan to cover vehicles and make them pay off the load in regular monthly instalments. That can give the campaign some urgency. Defaulting on the loan gets bounty hunters after you.

$50K in vehicles for 4 characters should be enough for some decent two seaters or four smaller ones (or a mix). It depends what they are going to be doing as jobs to start with. $1000 per person in savings is a good figure, some cheap armour (ABV over BA), a cheap slug thrower and some emergency funds.

Dark Future had some good campaign rules - and of course GURPS Autoduel.

Last edited by swordtart; 12-01-2020 at 12:11 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
ckosacranoid

It's been a while since I last checked out the ped gear in the game or even looked at the books, Going to start easy and work up since two players are going to know nothing about the world. Have not looked at some other players yet and need to get some reading done and a world book worked out for the basic setting their job as small-time mercs to start.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
43Supporter

For the challenge-value, I threw this 4-character force together, using mostly _VG1_ and "pocket box" gear:

Point: _Scorcher_ [FTs L, R]. $9,980.
Support: _Micro_ [2nd char. rides in cargo sp.]. $12,650.
Rearguard: _Coaster Rearguard_. $9,375.

Vehicle Total: $32,005

Port. Shop (in _Micro_): $4,000.
Port. Medikit (in _Micro_): $750
Body Armor (4x): $1,000.
SMG (4x): $1,480
Ext. Mag. [SMG] (4x): $680
Smoke Gre. (4x): $80
Pocket Change: $5.

Personal Total: $7,995.

Total: $40,000.

79er

Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
ckosacranoid

Thinking of starting the group with no cars might be the best, I know the adventure in the northeast is good for no cars to get money, can not remember how much it pays. Need to go through the ADQ and other books to look for ideas to get them working and understanding the world and then add cars to the group as they get cash and can do bigger jobs. Planing on the convoy at some point along with a couple of of the other jobs from the regional books at some point.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
swordtart

You could always start them out as hired on gunners for a trucking company.

That way they can build experience of vehicular combat without having to worry about controlling vehicles. Add in the occasional AM Night (with arena in a genteel area that at least makes an attempt at keeping contestants alive).

For ped. engagements, I generally find an extended mag is a better buy than an extra mag. You get just as many bullets but you don't have to spend a turn reloading. It became such a popular option that my gun shops offer it as a default option. Pay an extra $30 and you can swap out the standard mag that comes with your gun for an extended one.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
For ped. engagements, I generally find an extended mag is a better buy than an extra mag. You get just as many bullets but you don't have to spend a turn reloading. It became such a popular option that my gun shops offer it as a default option. Pay an extra $30 and you can swap out the standard mag that comes with your gun for an extended one.
I considered it, but I was trying to stick as close to "basic" gear as possible. Something to consider for when they have a bit more operating capital. :) (I wanted a _Haymaker_ on Point, but it was a bit too expensive.)

79er

Old 12-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
swordtart

Coincidentally one of my players mentioned this weekend that the others had all be asking about restarting the campaign (after it's rather bloody end of season finale).

The issue I'll have is whether I can stomach all the paperwork I'll end up having to do. We may end up migrating to a different system as CW 2.5 is painfully slow (doubtless why they are using a different game mechanic for 6th)
Old 12-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
juris

I'd start with Convoy (but upgrade the vehicles and maybe change the area to your local area). Then see where the campaign goes from there. Let the players keep the vehicles and equipment they buy or 'acquire' along the way. Of course if they fail the mission they're screwed, but that's fun too :)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote