Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2020, 12:16 AM   #91
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

I've gone back and edited the Avengers. Here's a list of changes I've made.

Ant-Man: Explicitly noted his Status 1.
Captain America: Added Born Soldier 4 and readjusted a few skill levels. Added Resistant (+3) to Disease and Poison.
Hulk: Replaced Hard to Kill 6 with Unkillable 1. Added Injury Tolerance (Unstoppable) to Hulk. Removed Limited (Physical Attacks) from his Damage Reduction.
Iron Man: Upgraded Absolute Direction to 3D Spatial Sense. Upgraded the repulsor blast from 5d to 8d. Added Enhanced Tracking 3 (Multiple Lock-Ons), Vacuum Support, and Penetrating Voice. Rejiggered disads, adding Electrical (Mitigator) and Selfish (15), lowering his OPH from [-10], to [-5], and dropping Proud because of redundancy.
Thor: Added Wild Talent (Focused (Skills from his past)).
Wasp: Reworked her wings. Now, rather than physical wings, the suit contains a flight pack that generates force-construct wings. It ended up being the same number of points, but a bit more effective since I didn't have "wasted" limitation points anymore.

I also added a few notes across the team.

Tomorrow (technically today), I'll be posting Loki, and then it will be on to the Fantastic Four!
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:17 AM   #92
pawsplay

Well, he had prepared notes, and he decided to depart from them. Other notably impulsive acts:
- cutting off that dude in the elevator and abandoning him without ascertaining the guy's qualifications
- attacking Bucky
- playing with various alien artifacts, in addition to being Curious

He's not quite On the Edge, but he's definitely beyond Quirk (off the cuff). There are real consequences to the snap decisions he makes.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 AM   #93
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In the comics, Hulk possesses superhuman reflexes and speed, and he is able to punch most speedsters before they can move. His lightning fast reflexes were mentioned in Incredible Hulk, #276.
This isn't necessarily an indication of high DX, however. High Basic Speed, Basic Move, Enhanced Move, Enhanced Time Sense, Enhanced Parry, and high Brawling skill, yes, but I wouldn't use that for overall DX. Looking at most of his appearances throughout his own title, the original run of Defenders, and various Avengers titles, Hulk is not nimble enough to warrant a high DX.

Just my opinion, but it seems more suitable to buy up his secondaries and give him advantages to let him see Quicksilver (or whatever speedster he faced; unlike the Distinguished Competition, Marvel doesn't have a glut of speedsters) to hit him mid-run.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #94
pawsplay

Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in his Stealth default.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #95
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Well, he had prepared notes, and he decided to depart from them. Other notably impulsive acts:
- cutting off that dude in the elevator and abandoning him without ascertaining the guy's qualifications
- attacking Bucky
- playing with various alien artifacts, in addition to being Curious

He's not quite On the Edge, but he's definitely beyond Quirk (off the cuff). There are real consequences to the snap decisions he makes.
Which character are you talking about? Captain America (from the Bucky reference)?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #96
awesomenessofme1

Loki

Height: 6’2”
Weight: 180 lb
Hair: Shoulder-length jet black
Eyes: Green
Uniform: Black bodysuit with gold trim, green boots, green cape, gold horned helmet. Alternatively, fine tailored black suit with green tie.
Powers: Superhuman strength allowing him to lift about three and a half tons. High physical durability. An extremely long lifespan (he is physically in his late 20s). The ability to generate realistic illusions, including sound, smell, and even the sensation of touch, in a wide area around him, including the ability to disguise himself or turn invisible. The ability to speak any language fluently, though only one he hasn’t learned at a time.
Skills: Consummate liar and good talker generally. Trained in unarmed combat, proficient in the use of rifles and various melee weapons.

Details of Loki’s birth and early life are unknown. The first known information about him dates to 1109, when he had begun amassing a cult of followers in northern Sweden. At this point, he had already started going by Loki, and in fact claimed to be a manifestation of the god himself on Earth. Before he could fully put his plans into motion, he was discovered by Thor, and after a drawn-out conflict, was defeated and sent into hiding. This was the beginning of a grudge that has lasted until the present day. They fought for hundreds of years, and even after Thor attempted to leave the fight, Loki pursued him, tracked him down, and killed the family he had tried to create. In a fit of rage, Thor defeated Loki thoroughly. It was only thanks to his illusions and stealth that Loki was able to fake his death and escape. He spent the next few hundred years slowly amassing wealth and influence, always planning to finally get his permanent revenge on Thor. When Thor reemerged in 2001, Loki began to put his plans in motion. A few years later, for reasons unknown, Loki engineered a public rampage by the Hulk that led to the formation of the Avengers. He had several fights with the Avengers before being forced back into hiding, where he remains to this day.

Loki [1149]

Attributes [271]
ST 26/68 [80]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 13 [30]
HP 26 [0]
FP 15 [6]
Will 14 [5]
Per 14 [5]
Basic Speed 7.00 [5]
Basic Move 7 [0]
Damage 2d+2/5d (8d-1/10d-1)
BL 135 lb (925 lb)
Dodge 11
SM0

Cultural Familiarities [4]
East Asian [1]
Latin American [1]
Norse [0]
Orthodox [1]
Western [1]

Languages [6]
English (Native) [6]
Norse (Native) [0]

Advantages [814]
Ambidexterity [5]
Appearance (Handsome) [12]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Damage Reduction (3) [75]
Damage Reduction (Upgrade to 5; Limited (Physical Attacks), -20%) [40]
DR10 (Limited (Physical Attacks), -20%; Tough Skin, -40%) [20]
Empathy [15]
Extended Lifespan 5 [10]
Hard to Kill 3 [6]
Elastic Skin (Reduced Time 2, +40%; Alternative Ability to Invisibility, x1/5) [6]
Fit [5]
Invisibility (Affects Machines, +50%; Can Carry Objects (Light), +20%; Switchable, +10%) [72]
Illusion (Area Effect 4, +200%; Extended (Taste/Smell, Touch, Infravision), +50%; Independence, +40%, Reliable 3, +15%) [102]
Modular Abilities (Slotted Cosmic; 3; Spoken Languages Only, -50%) [11]
Rapid Healing [5]
Smooth Operator 2 [30]
ST+8/50 (Super-Effort, +300%) [320]
Status 2 [5]
Voice [10]
Wealth (Filthy Rich) [50]

Perks [1]
Cloaked [1]

Disadvantages [-47]
Bully (15) [-5]
Callous [-5]
Compulsive Rhetoric (12) [-5]
Curious (12) [-5]
Jealousy [-10]
Megalomania [-10]
Selfish (9) [-7]

Quirks [-3]
Careful [-1]
Enjoys lying [-1]
Flair for the dramatic [-1]

Skills [100]
Acrobatics-13 [2]
Acting-16 [4] ¹
Area Knowledge (Earth)-14 [2]
Area Knowledge (Europe)-13 [1]
Artist (Illusion)-14 [8]
Brawling-16 [4]
Broadsword-14 [2]
Carousing-16 [2] ¹
Climbing-13 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline News)-13 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics)-13 [1]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Supers)-13 [1]
Detect Lies-18 [2] ¹ ²
Diplomacy-16 [2] ¹ ³
Disguise/TL8-16 [1] ⁴
Fast-Talk-18 [4] ¹ ³
Gesture-14 [2]
Guns/TL8 (Long Arm)-14 [1]
Holdout-12 [1]
Intimidation-16 [2] ¹
Judo-15 [8]
Knife-16 [4]
Leadership-14 [1] ¹
Lip Reading-14 [2]
Lockpicking/TL8-14 [4]
Mimicry (Speech)-14 [2] ³
Naturalist-11 [1]
Navigation/TL8 (Land)-12 [1]
Observation-14 [2]
Poisons/TL8-12 [2]
Propaganda/TL8-13 [2]
Psychology-16 [4] ² ⁵
Public Speaking-16 [1] ¹ ³
Research/TL8-13 [2]
Riding (Horse)-14 [2]
Running-13 [2]
Savoir-Faire-16 [2] ¹
Sex Appeal-21 [2] ¹ ³ ⁶
Spear-14 [2]
Stealth-14 [2]
Streetwise-15 [2] ¹
Swimming-13 [1]
Tactics-12 [2]
Thrown Weapon (Spear)-14 [1]
Tracking-14 [2]

Techniques [3]
Impersonate (Mimicry)-14 [3]

1 – includes +2 from Smooth Operator
2 – includes +3 from Empathy
3 – includes +2 from Voice
4 – includes +4 from Elastic Skin
5 – conditional -3 from Callous
6 – includes +4 from Appearance (Handsome)

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 02-28-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #97
AlexanderHowl

I would suggest beefing up IQ, Will, Per, and Illusion because Loki is supposed to be the ultimate trickster. At a minimum, I would have IQ 16 [120], Per 20 [20], Will 20 [20], and Illusion (Based on Will, +20%; Cosmic, +50%; Initiative, +100%; Mental, +100%; Reliable 10, +50%; Stigmata, +100%) [130].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #98
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would suggest beefing up IQ, Will, Per, and Illusion because Loki is supposed to be the ultimate trickster. At a minimum, I would have IQ 16 [120], Per 20 [20], Will 20 [20], and Illusion (Based on Will, +20%; Cosmic, +50%; Initiative, +100%; Mental, +100%; Reliable 10, +50%; Stigmata, +100%) [130].
IQ 16 would be tied for the highest IQ of anyone in the setting. Will/Per 20 would be by far the highest Will/Per of anyone in the setting. I shouldn't need to explain why that would be problematic. The scores I gave him are fine.

They're physical illusions, not mental ones. Based on Will, Mental, and Stigmata wouldn't fit at all. That level of Reliable would mean no one in the entire setting could have any reasonable chance of disbelieving. The highest Per I've given anyone so far is 16, and the highest Will I've given anyone is 14.

Why on earth would it have Cosmic?

Can you please stop (I have to assume willfully given how I've said this multiple times) posting builds that are obviously wildly out of step with the power level I've been trying to build?
Old 07-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #99
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
The ability to speak any language fluently, though only one he hasn’t learned at a time.
(...)
Modular Abilities (Slotted Cosmic; 6; Languages Only, -50%) [19]
Out of curiosity, is the intent that he can speak and understand any language fluently, or that he can also read and write it fluently? If the former, you should drop the Modular Abilities to only give [3] at a time.

Also, it may be worthwhile for you to change the formatting of the stats. While it takes up more space, putting each trait on its own line makes things much easier to read.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #100
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Out of curiosity, is the intent that he can speak and understand any language fluently, or that he can also read and write it fluently? If the former, you should drop the Modular Abilities to only give [3] at a time.
Good call. Spoken Languages Only wouldn't be any more of a limitation than Languages Only, would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Also, it may be worthwhile for you to change the formatting of the stats. While it takes up more space, putting each trait on its own line makes things much easier to read.
I'll try that out. See if it's worth the change.

Tags
custom setting, marvel, supers