Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Gilfander

Default Re: How would you model this supers power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It's also limited by requiring equipment and supplies.
This is a really good point too. The PC will need crocheting tools and something to work on and with.
Gilfander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
GURPS Powers, p. 41. The GM and player can decide whether Summonable conjures the same Allies each time or new ones; it recommends adding Minion in the latter case. I don't see a mention of the word Catalog, but it seems to be functionally the same.
Thanks, Rocket Man. Yes, this is what I was referring to, though I didn't have abook handy at the time, and for some reason I had remembered the word "catalog" describing "new allies each time."

Remember, Minion is free if the allies are mindless automata.

Suppose you can summon a big strong ally, like an elephant. Now suppose you want to summon a hive of bees, take the point value that could pay for an elephant's strength and put it into Diffuse (Body of Swarm), and you get the whole hive as a single ally, no need to model each bee. Or if you summon something bigger than bugs but still far weaker than an elephant, like birds, put the extra points into a few levels of Duplication to get a small flock as a single Ally. These options probably require you to pay for Ally with the +50% enhancement for special powers.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
weby

As for time affecting power I would likely use something along the lines of
an extended version of "Weakened Without Preparation" and immediate preparation needed. The extended version would be to have move levels than 2(full with preparation and half without) .
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
GURPS Powers, p. 41. The GM and player can decide whether Summonable conjures the same Allies each time or new ones; it recommends adding Minion in the latter case. I don't see a mention of the word Catalog, but it seems to be functionally the same.
I don't think that Conjured allows you to switch the species of your ally however, just replace them if slain in exchange for a lack of familiarity (thus requiring reaction rolls or the Minion enhancement).

I agree with the statement that this sounds like a Cosmic Modular Ability with (Trait Limited: Allies with Summonable and Minion, -50%).

you would then add Takes Extra Time or Immediate Preparation Required to the Ally advantage purchased in the pool to reflect the individual summoning time differences, which will allow bigger allies for dedicating more time.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I agree that this is modular abilities. As a GM I'd suggest that you buy one ally at full price and then a modular ability pool that gives you enough points to get the others as alternates to the primary ability. It generally costs about twice as just buying one ally.

I'd go for the custom modular abilities in powers, personally. much cheaper.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #16
dfinlay

Note that takes extra time and gadget are only valid if she can only have one crocheted animal made at a time. If she can have as many as she wants, the takes extra time is minimal as she can just make a rediculous amount during some downtime and never worry about it again and the gadget limitation is minimal as she can have a few dozen backups for if one gets damaged/stolen. In this case, I'd just call it a small nuisance worth maybe -3% to -5%.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers