Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #21
CeeDub

Default Re: Return of the Gods (shared campaign)

One more detail that raised an eyebrow: How exactly are the females able to fool drug screenings, again?? o.O

Wouldn't the tests quickly adapt by examining the, um, discharge instead?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
CeeDub

The cultural impact would likely be huge. I'd expect licensed graphic novel franchises, TV shows, and big screen movies, at least for the mutants that would qualify as heroic in the public opinion.

Given the across-the-board good looks, modeling gigs and product endorsements are probably the norm and a good way to earn at least a modest income.

Participation in competitive sports with normals would probably be banned; I have no idea if mutant-only leagues are feasible or if, given their personalities and powers, such games would end in violence. Then again, mutant gladiator-type sports could become a thing, if only underground.

With the specific disadvantages of mutants, it's somewhat unlikely that any would be considered role models for kids, but many would likely hope to be a mutant when they grow up. Toy companies would certainly find ways to make money off that. Shadier companies preying on kids' dreams or parents' fears might offer "tests" that can supposedly determine whether a child will manifest. Most are quickly exposed as fraudulent, but for every detection scam that gets shut down, two more pop up.

Teen magazines would be full of advice articles like "What to expect when dating a mutant", "Decode mutant flirt signals" and "Mutant fashion - how to prepare your wardrobe for your manifestation".
Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #23
Gef

MUTANTS (Templates female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
One more detail that raised an eyebrow: How exactly are the females able to fool drug screenings, again?? o.O

Wouldn't the tests quickly adapt by examining the, um, discharge instead?
Good point. That may have been a perk in early days, but now that the word is out, it's just a feature.

So, how would you spend the point it frees up?

For Type I females, I gave 'em general irritability modeled as minor addiction; even coffee will assuage it, just a slightly more severe issue than what mutants get generally. I did that only because I needed to squeeze out one more point, and I'm happy to get rid of it, but that leaves the question of what to do for the big girls.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #24
Gef

CULTURE (Popular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub
The cultural impact would likely be huge.
Yep, it's something I hope to discuss in detail.

Quote:
Teen magazines would be full of advice articles like "What to expect when dating a mutant"
That's one I overlooked, and a perfect example of what I hoped to get from collaboration. I'm very sorry you don't have a group, but I hope this project can help you get your fix. I'll have more to post when work is done.

Last edited by Gef; 03-09-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #25
Gef

Glossary started on post #6 of this thread.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #26
Gef

MUTANTS (Mutant Personality Complex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Personality: There are several characteristics common to most mutants in some degree: They’re Bold, Chauvinistic, Competitive, Fiery, Lusty, Restless, Ruthless, and Vengeful... In addition, all mutants are driven, Fanatic about their passions whatever they may be, for good or ill. Mutants who indulge in pharmaceutical recreation often do so because it can change some aspects of their hard-driving personalities
That's the MPC, Fanaticism, quirk-level versions of On the Edge, Intolerance of non-mutants, Megalomania, Lecherousness, Compulsive Thrillseeking, Callous, and Bloodlust, and Bad Temper, with the latter escalated to Control Roll 15 for giants, with Personality Change in response to intoxicants. I allow modification for individual characters, but the spirit must be preserved. How bad does this strike you? Consider that this is the minimum; a typical mutant will exaggerate one or another aspect of the complex (I encourage players to consider full versions of these disads when looking for more points.)

Looking at the point cost, it should be about as bad as one fullblown disad (plus the Fanaticism). I wouldn't call it bughouse nuts, but I'd like a second opinion. Would you say that someone with this collection of traits is beyond socialization? Do you know of real-world people who function with a collection of quirks similar to MPC?

Bearing in mind that mutants experience diminishing control rolls per hour powered-up without sex, how bad is it after a few hours. I assume that bughouse nuts is achieved between control roll 15 and 12, hence "5hr Energy," the idea that mutants free to set their own schedules will set aside every fifth hour for relief.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #27
Gef

Mutants (Templates Hyper)

Mutants have a gift, superhuman strength and agility, but some (about a quarter) are a little more gifted than the rest. In addition to more strength and agility, they experience measurable cognitive enhancement while powered up, and they can breathe underwater though they tire more quickly, and they can see the "spirits" that some mutants project.

Code:
Hyper	
20	IQ +2 (Awe/Terror, Scant)
6	Awe/Terror, Potential (Compulsive Carousing and Uncontrollable Appetite for Sex 12, Muggles Only, Power Mod, Scant)
2	DR +2 (Eyes, Awe/Terror, Scant, Tough Skin)
1	Doesn't Breathe (Awe/Terror, Oxygen Absorption, Scant, Alt to Very Fit)
1	Field Sense (Double Range)
11	See Invisible Spirits (Awe/Terror, Partial Exclusive, Scant) and Ghost Strike (Awe/Terror, Costs 1FP, Scant)
1	Alt: Compartmentalized Mind ½ (Awe/Terror, No Separation, Scant, TK Only)
1	And Alt: Mind Shield 6 (Awe/Terror, Only Against Mutant Powers)
2	Alt: Danger Sense (Awe/Terror, Scant)
1	And Alt: Sensitive (Awe/Terror, Scant)
4	TK +4 (Awe/Terror, No Move, Self Only hence Visible)
Other mutants find powering down uncomfortable to their bodies, but perhaps tolerable when sedentary, perhaps reading or listening to a lecture. Hypers feel their thoughts becoming sluggish as well and prefer to be powered up even when focused on a purely mental problem.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #28
Gef

MUTANTS (Templates Teen)

Official templates have choices, 5 skills chosen from a list of 10. The way I see it, the choices are open-ended. Instead, I make reference templates for NPCs and modify them in my head as needed. Sure, every quickly drawn mutant is based on one of these four templates, but with a name, a catchphrase, and a bit of physical description, not to mention their powers if any, they don't necessarily seem to be all the same.

Code:
Geek	100
80	IQ +4
5	Eidetic Memory
5	Every Kid: Bicycle, Comp Op, Games (Console), Hobby (SciFi), Swim
5	Smart Kid: History (US), Lit (English), Public Speech, Research, Writing
1	Biology
1	Chem
1	Computer Program
1	Electronics Op (Specify)
1	Math (applied)
Code:
Jock	100
33	ST +3
43	DX +2
8	MV +1½
5	Every Kid: Bicycle, Comp Op, Games (Console), Hobby (Specify), Swim
5	Social Kid: Carouse, Current Affairs (Pop), Fast-Talk, Intimidate, Sex Appeal
4	Sport (Specify)
2	Sport (Specify)
Code:
Punk	100
11	ST +1
43	DX +2
1	Alt: Per/Will +2 (Awe/Terror, Powers Only)
10	Spd +½
1	Dabbler: Driving (Bike, Car)
5	Flexible (Type II), or Acute Vision +2 and Night Vision 1 (Type I)
1	One Task Wonder: Merchant (Drugs)
5	Every Kid: Bicycle, Comp Op, Games (Console), Hobby (Skateboard), Swim
1	Body Language
1	Climb
1	Escape
1	Fast-Draw (Specify)
4	Filch
1	Guns (Pistol)
1	Holdout
1	Knife
1	Lockpick
1	Mechanic (Auto)
1	Observation
1	Scrounging
1	Stealth
1	Streetwise
1	Urban Survival
Code:
Sosh	100
11	ST +1
40	IQ +2
5	MV +1
4	Appearance +1
5	Charisma +1
5	Language (Accented) and Culture (Specify)
5	Every Kid: Bicycle, Comp Op, Games (Console), Hobby (Specify), Swim
5	Smart Kid: History (US), Lit (English), Public Speech, Research, Writing
2	Dance
1	Driving
1	Expert: Natural Philosophy (takes the place of science and math skills)
1	Geography (Political)
4	Performance
1	Politics
1	Religious Ritual (Specify)
1	Savoir-Faire (High Society)
1	Sing
2	Sport (Specify)
If the costs for ST and DX don't look right, it's because they're paying for alternate abilities they get when powered up (TK/DR corresponding to ST, Power Stat corresponding to DX). Geeks are an interesting case, because IQ raises the power stat, resulting in an extra-large agility bonus when powered up. If geek is taken to imply someone with an academic focus who spends more time studying that exercising, then mutant geeks may be the wimpiest mutants, but they're hardly wimps by non-mutant standards.

With high ST and HT even powered down, mutants make great athletes, especially if they have a form of Fanaticism that focuses their effort. With their personality complex and a different kind of fanaticism, they could well become slackers, rebels, or even juvenile criminals. With their looks, they can be popular. To some degree, every mutant transcends the usual high school stereotypes, but they're still differentiated among themselves and these labels make a convenient shorthand.

Last edited by Gef; 03-10-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #29
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I wouldn't call it bughouse nuts, but I'd like a second opinion. Would you say that someone with this collection of traits is beyond socialization?
Beyond? No, but it'd take a very understanding social circle - or one consisting at least in part of other mutants.

However, especially considering that each individual will likely exaggerate one disadvantage and subdue the others, I think this fits the theme of the campaign rather nicely. After all, these mutants inspired the pantheons of Roman, Greek, Norse and other mythologies; and the gods of legend were almost invariably ill-tempered or lecherous or partial to wine or... you get it.

So, yes, it will be hard (but not impossible) to fit in (except among others of their kind), but that is the point, isn't it?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #30
Gef

GAME MECHANICS (Concept History)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub
It's not the one-point-perk that puzzled me, it's the question why they'd have that ability (lactation, not passing drug tests) at all. Doesn't bother me, it just seems kind of random... Is there a reason for that? And while I'm at it, is this also an at-will ability or does it work normally?
The mutant template started life in a different form, in a different supers campaign, for a different GM. He needed a bad guy force, better than human, but not as good as superheroes, with numbers to make up for their relative weakness. My solution was a breeding program, with the idea that drugs have side effects that differ by individual, so rather than find the perfect drug, why not find - or breed - the perfect patient to take the drug? And this breeding program has been going on since ancient times, and the hashashin were just one manifestation. The cartels weren't just pedaling dope, they had dope fiends who got super powers from getting high, and along the way, they bred in the trait to dispose of (lipid-soluble) drugs through lactation, a dual-purpose adaptation that both helps the agent pass a urine test and, if that pump is primed, administer a dose of something that will impair a lover and make him easier to assassinate, abduct, or interrogate. The idea is that it's just how they're bodies work, not something that they control, although they could learn to do so with Body Control, since Trained by a Master was one of their super powers.

Tags
supers