Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Fat... where did the extra encumbrance go?

In GURPS 3rd Editon there was a line in the description of the Fat disadvantage that states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Basic Set, 3rd Edition, p28
the extra weight counts as extra encumbrance, which you cannot get rid of. (Exception: fat encumbrance does not count against you when swimming.)
No such mention is in GURPS 4th Edition that I can find in regards to Fat or Very Fat. Anyone know why that was removed? Has anyone thought about putting it back and (if so) how to do it?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Fat... where did the extra encumbrance go?

For only three points I should hope not.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Has anyone thought about putting it back and (if so) how to do it?
Sell down your ST (Reduces the amount you can lift) and maybe buy up HP (You still have lots of mass).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Sarudak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Sell down your ST (Reduces the amount you can lift) and maybe buy up HP (You still have lots of mass).
Reducing the amount you can lift isn't really appropriate because the fat on your body is a fixed amount so it won't reduce how much weight it takes to encumber you to x2 or x3 etc..
Sarudak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Actually you should probably sell down your fatigue. Sumo wrestlers can lift lots but their stamina is double plus ungreat.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
For only three points I should hope not.
Well, obviously the pricing would need adjustment. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarudak View Post
Quote:
Reducing the amount you can lift isn't really appropriate because the fat on your body is a fixed amount so it won't reduce how much weight it takes to encumber you to x2 or x3 etc..
Have to agree with Sarudak here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Actually you should probably sell down your fatigue. Sumo wrestlers can lift lots but their stamina is double plus ungreat.
Fat already restricts your HT (and thus your Fatigue)

-----

I just know from RL that it is combersome to have excessive fat weight and this is one of the few things that I really feel that was weakened in GURPS 4 when compared with GURPS 3...
Old 09-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
PK

Actually, selling down your Move is the most appropriate thing, followed by perhaps taking a point less ST than you normally would.

Reducing your Move is the equivalent of having it reduced because of encumbrance. (And before anyone starts throwing math around to prove me wrong, note that I said 'equivalent'. I'm aware that there are differences when you add or subtract a certain amount of external encumbrance, and frankly, it doesn't matter.) If your fat would have reduced your Move by 2 points in 3e, just reduce it by 2 points manually in 4e, and take the disadvantage points for it.

And then, because in 4e ST represents "your applicable ST after factoring in your ability to carry yourself", it might make sense to drop ST by a point -- which really just means not buying it up as high as you normally would -- to reflect the effort you're having to put into just lugging yourself around. But that's a maybe; I mean, you could justify any level of ST, just by saying that if he weren't Fat, it'd be a point higher.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Stripe

I wondered this as well. I always thought G3e's extra encumbrance was novel and was slightly disappointed when it didn't make the jump.

However, this has been brought up once or twice before, and answered. Might try a search. :)

EDIT: Double post with RPK.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman

Last edited by Stripe; 09-18-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Double post with RPK.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
nerdvana

Thank you for the explination Rev. Pee Kitty, very helpful advice and shame on me for not thinking of ot.

Stripe: Thank you also. My search-fu on the GURPS forums is lacking often, didn't find it so I asked. Sorry for rehashing an old point.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Sarudak

Fat wouldn't really reduce your striking/ST though as you would have alot more weight behind your punches even if they were a little slower. You might represent this as lowered ST with added striking ST but runs into the same problem of not giving appropriate results at x2,x3,etc. I think the basic move option works well. You really are slower. It really is harder for you to dodge. And encumberance doesn't do that much besides. The HT limit would also represent you tiring yourself out faster.
Sarudak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, kromm, kromm answer, q&a, rev. pee kitty